Image re-sizing upon upload? 3.2.0?

Rhett

A while back (few months) I remember hearing a staff member talking about a new feature in 3.2.0 that would re-size large images when uploading. I remember this clearly as it's a needed feature and I often get complaints that it doesn't exist.

Is there any news on this feature as I don't see it in 3.2.0?

Thank you

Yeah I recall this as well. It was specifically for image attachments to stop people uploading hi res images / high file size. I'm on 3.1.4 so use a hook that does this. Essential at a graphics forum like mine where there are lots of image attachments.

3DKiwi

I was referring to the max image file size..... example below

If you upload an attachment bigger then a set max file size in KB it would re-size the image for you on the fly.

It looks like there is a resize option now, but it only effects the pixel max size and not the file size KB..

I thought this is what we were going to be getting? Maybe I was remembering it wrong?

We added dimension-based restrictions, not filesize-based restrictions.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood the feature when it was being talked about.

Here is my trouble, so take this as feedback.

Say a member has 5 images he would like to post up in a thread.

Each image is 300kb
My max per post setting is 500kb (because I don't want 1500kb images being attached)
This user can only post one image per post and it looks very sloppy and is time consuming.

If I raise the limit to suit this, I will get members attaching 1500kb images all over the place.

So in my opinion there needs to be a per image cap (file size), not per post.

Anyone else run into this issue?

If you add an attachment to a post, it doesn't count against the 'max per post' setting unless they 'add to post' does it, and even then doesn't it just calculate using the size of the thumbnail, not the full-sized attachment that it links to?

So they should be able to add 5 image attachments without any problems so long as you have thumbnails turned on (otherwise you could also turn off "Show uploaded images in post as images"

If you add an attachment to a post, it doesn't count against the 'max per post' setting unless they 'add to post' does it, and even then doesn't it just calculate using the size of the thumbnail, not the full-sized attachment that it links to?

So they should be able to add 5 image attachments without any problems so long as you have thumbnails turned on (otherwise you could also turn off "Show uploaded images in post as images"

No it doesn't work that way, we only have one restriction for file size (kb) on attachments and that's per post and it makes no difference if there is a thumbnail or not.

Archived