License key warning on localhost

Michael

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't use generate an "universal" license key without to much security check which exactly formats as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-testboard while the X's are the "original license key".

With the "testboard" part in the license key IPS can also check if it is actually used for testing purposes and it the license holder is actually validated as an license holder.

From now on you can use your license key on a test installation. Enter your license key followed by "-TESTINSTALL" to activate.

There are some conditions:

• You may only have one installation
  • Your license key must already be activated on a live installation and have been activated recently. If entering the "test" key doesn't work, try reactivating your main installation and then try again.
  • The IPS Extras (spam service, iPhone notifications) are not available on test installations.
  • IP.Chat is not available on test installations
  • Your test install URL is logged and to enforce the "You may only have one installation" rule cannot be changed. Make sure you install your test install somewhere where it is unlikely you will need to move it. Attempting to use the "test" key on more than one installation will result in an error.
  • This will only work on IP.Board 3.2.

What does this mean?

Warning: file_get_contents() [function.file-get-contents]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in .../forums/admin/applications/core/modules_admin/tools/licensekey.php on line 108

Warning: file_get_contents(

http://license.invisionpower.com/?a=activate&key=.../forums

) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in .../forums/admin/applications/core/modules_admin/tools/licensekey.php on line 108

From now on you can use your license key on a test installation. Enter your license key followed by "-TESTINSTALL" to activate.

• Your license key must already be activated on a live installation and have been activated recently. If entering the "test" key doesn't work, try reactivating your main installation and then try again.
  • The IPS Extras (spam service, iPhone notifications) are not available on test installations.
  • IP.Chat is not available on one test installation
  • Your test install URL is logged and to enforce the "You may only have one installation" rule cannot be changed. Make sure you install your test install somewhere where it is unlikely you will need to move it. Attempting to use the "test" key on more than one installation will result in an error.

Thank you - appreciated.

Sounds good to me.

Outstanding, this is greatly appreciated!

This license key activation just hides the banner right? The board still works otherwise, you just have to put up with the banner? If so, why such strict restrictions on the -TESTINSTALL key? When doing mods I'll usually try to install it on a fresh throw away test board to make sure everything was included. Depending on what I'm working on I'll typically re-install my board fresh to make sure I'm starting with "factory defaults".

I understand no IP.Spam or IP.Chat. Assuming the URL will never change in development is a bit odd, especially for those who do custom mods for other people.

I might install my single test board on http://localhost/testboard but then decide later I want it to be http://testboard.dev/forum. As picky as I am I'm constantly refining and organizing my development environment. If you want to restrict something I'd much rather be limited on how many registered users there can be. Realistically there shouldn't be any more than 25.

I'm assuming test upgrades wouldn't be affected by this (3.1 to 3.2)?

You might as well say, install as many forums as you want. :(

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

Well don't make them publicly available and stuff...figured that's what test board implies. But even if you did install as many forums as you want itd take a while to get caught an once you did you just get a nastily written letter apparently. I asked once what the difference between nulled and licensed IPB is and there really is none aside from copyright.

You might as well say, install as many forums as you want. :sad:

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

Well don't make them publicly available and stuff...figured that's what test board implies. But even if you did install as many forums as you want itd take a while to get caught an once you did you just get a nastily written letter apparently. I asked once what the difference between nulled and licensed IPB is and there really is none aside from copyright.

I think (hope) what was implied is that we have no way of knowing what you've done in a private, sealed-off, localhost, development environment. Because we can't see inside your computer. :P

This license key activation just hides the banner right? The board still works otherwise, you just have to put up with the banner? If so, why such strict restrictions on the -TESTINSTALL key? When doing mods I'll usually try to install it on a fresh throw away test board to make sure everything was included. Depending on what I'm working on I'll typically re-install my board fresh to make sure I'm starting with "factory defaults".

I understand no IP.Spam or IP.Chat. Assuming the URL will never change in development is a bit odd, especially for those who do custom mods for other people.

I might install my single test board on [url="http://localhost/testboard"]http://localhost/testboard[/url] but then decide later I want it to be [url="http://testboard.dev/forum."]http://testboard.dev/forum.[/url] As picky as I am I'm constantly refining and organizing my development environment. If you want to restrict something I'd much rather be limited on how many registered users there can be. Realistically there shouldn't be any more than 25.

I'm assuming test upgrades wouldn't be affected by this (3.1 to 3.2)?

As it always has, the software will function just fine without a license key (so yes, this essentially just gets rid of the red banner).

We allow one test installation, so the test install key works once. We can't have the key automatically override other URLs associated with it as that would essentially allow it to be used unlimited times - I don't want to have the ACP call out to the license server at any time other than when the key is activated in case, for example, the server is down (even if we put a timeout of say 5 seconds, that's 5 seconds you're ACP is going to hang and 5 seconds that will inconvenience every one of our valid customers).

We *could* write a page in the client area where you could clear the URL in use and limit it to only allow you to do that every x days, but that just adds unnecessary complexity - either pick a URL for your test installation and stick to it, or put up with the red banner.

Dude just install as many tests as you want. It's not like they'll ever know.

No. You're allowed one test installation.

I think (hope) what was implied is that we have no way of knowing what you've done in a private, sealed-off, localhost, development environment. Because we can't see inside your computer. :tongue:

Yeah. Kind of the point of a test board.

I have 2 test installs but I also have 2 licenses. So I have 2 live sites and 2 test sites.

Yea I guess that's what he means, for every license you own pretty much means you can have one live board and a test board per license.

• This will only work on IP.Board 3.2.

I was just directed to this message after requesting a change in my licensed URL. This is really helpful stuff. The only question i have is regarding purchased add-ons. With the "Test Key" i noticed your purchased add-ons are not listed in the service list associated with your license key. Will this effect being able to use for example IP.Gallery on my development installation?

Archived