Storage space ?

I have a hosted package, support is great - actually its excellent, uptime is great, the features are great - everything is great.
But I am lacking storage space. I dont need to upgrade as my bandwidth etc is OK.

So I thought I could buy some diskspace elsewhere, its mainly for pics. I dont want to use picassa etc. I'd rather have somewhere I can control.

I thought I could buy some storage here, but its not an option right now (and submitting tickets for an upgrade wont help - been there done that), so the other idea I had was to buy space elsewhere, but let my members (I would prefer if they were authenticated to my forum) link images / videos to it.

Like a subform, but hosted elsewhere but by me and not picassa et al...

Seamless logins would be awesome.
Any ideas ?

Thanks
Brian.

I have worked on a server with this and it requies that the apache has to use allow_url_fopen to be =ON , Now most people with general PHP knowlage knows this is not the way forward.

That's dangerous in its own way by enabling that as your leaving the PHP open to injections.

I have yet to test on a production server but due to it needed that module I have swerved it.

You could probably get Amazon S3 and hook it up so uploaded images and stuff is served from there. Cloud services are pretty good for storing images and static files.

I hadnt heard of the Amazon S3 before, and their EU location is in ireland - Sweet ! :D

*Idea

I might try that... using one of my 8 servers :( I could potentially pull something like this off.

Amazon ? or something else ?

nm figured my Q about Amazon S3.

For those who don't know: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

Thanks

Thanks for the linky !

Whoa crazy!! They offer plans that have up to 5000 TB.....

Indeed, not that I'll ever need that space tho, all I need is a few gigs.....
The pricing structure seems a bit complicated tho.

I have worked on a server with this and it requies that the apache has to use allow_url_fopen to be =ON , Now most people with general PHP knowlage knows this is not the way forward.

That's dangerous in its own way by enabling that as your leaving the PHP open to injections.

I have yet to test on a production server but due to it needed that module I have swerved it.

.Peter, are you referring to the Amazon S3 ?

Thanks for the responses, I would like some more ideas before I commit to Amazon S3 tho, so no matter how bizaare / innane it might be, I'd like to hear it please !!
Brian.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived