PM Notifications

Morrigan

Okay. I think I mentioned this when the notifications system was first put in but I'd like the original PM notification system back (just like on the 3.0.5 version). BUT I only want to be able to enable this for PMs and not ANY other notification. I would also like the original template back, the one with the avatar and whatnot.

I think the best way to implement this is to add another column for "Inline Popup" because a blanket option just doesn't work for me. I don't want to see the popup for friend notifications, quoted posts, status replies or anything like that I just like the old popup for PMs with a blurb of the PM and the person's information right there.
I DON'T like the email paste that is there and I really HATE having an all or nothing for it.

Thanks in advance darlings.

i agree with you there i like the old way it would be nice if they was a mod or something the new way you can mis pm but the old way it drop down on your screen so you cant mis it can we have it back please

You can still do that, although it does not look like the 3.0.x popup.

Okay. I think I mentioned this when the notifications system was first put in but I'd like the original PM notification system back (just like on the 3.0.5 version). BUT I only want to be able to enable this for PMs and not ANY other notification. I would also like the original template back, the one with the avatar and whatnot.

I think the best way to implement this is to add another column for "Inline Popup" because a blanket option just doesn't work for me. I don't want to see the popup for friend notifications, quoted posts, status replies or anything like that I just like the old popup for PMs with a blurb of the PM and the person's information right there.

I DON'T like the email paste that is there and I really HATE having an all or nothing for it.

Thanks in advance darlings.

I am with you Morrigan 100% - I personally think IPS took a step backwards with the notification system especially the popup!

Not knowing what the 3.0 popup looked like, I do have an issue with the existing one. It's far too large, and not only is it a notification, it also provides the entire text of the message along with it. I'd like a less intrusive popup that just states I have a message waiting. No need to through everything including the kitchen sink into it.

I think a 'perfect' (maybe?) solution here would be to have the inline notification popup for a PM to resemble the 3.0.x one ?

You are absolutely right Andy, it was very functional and worded correctly (which 3.1 is not) and looked great, the current one looks like some afterthought and the buttons are ugly and too many of them too! If I knew how to code it back I would in a heartbeat. Sorry IPS, my opinion :thumbsup:

it also provides the entire text of the message along with it. I'd like a less intrusive popup that just states I have a message waiting.

This is pretty easy to fix and it also removes the message text from the email which for me stopped people from replying directly to the email which of course comes directly to the admin

To remove the PM conversation text in the email that the board sends out and the 3.1 inline popup

ACP> Look & Feel tab> Manage Languages> English (USA)>

type "personal_convo" in the search box

under personal_convo_new_convo and personal_convo_new_reply

copy & paste the code in the right box and remove the code below

<#POSTER#> said:
======================================================================
<#TEXT#>
======================================================================

I like that a lot of people agree. I am REALLY gunning for both steps to happen but I would really like the option to choose which notifications I get a popup for versus the drop down. Like if I wanted to see only Quoted posts and PMs in the popup but wanted to see the Friend requests, and just about everything else in the drop down.

I think I should add to this notifications suggestion thread that notifications that are PMed shouldn't be emailed as well EVEN if the member wants PMs emailed to them. Some sort of redundancy check that doesn't send an email for a notification that doesn't ask for it. Not necessary but I thought I'd point it out.

I mentioned a while back I wanted PM popups only for PM's also. And the whole notification system is a bit annoying to me because every time you want it to go to zero you have to go delete them even if you already viewed the private messages so to get everything to zero you have to go to your messanger and the notification manager both to get thigns back to 0. And yes I want the popup for private messages and nothing else.

I don't have that problem. If I click on the drop down and refresh the number disappears.

Really? Maybe I didn't try that or it wasn't refreshing then. I thought I did.

I really liked this popup, it would be great to put it again...

It's still there, i think. At least that's what bfarber told me. I haven't tried lately to be sure. If I udnerstood him it's still there, but must be used for all notifications or none.

edit: yes it's stiill there. Like I said it's all or nothing though.

Really? Maybe I didn't try that or it wasn't refreshing then. I thought I did.

I have the same problem, when I view them in the dropdown and refresh then the number will stay at 7 (for instance), I have to go to the Notifications area and Mark all as read or delete them...

Maybe this is a bug?

I have the same problem, when I view them in the dropdown and refresh then the number will stay at 7 (for instance), I have to go to the Notifications area and Mark all as read or delete them...

Maybe this is a bug?

If you click the dropdown, all notifications are marked as read. I can't reproduce any problems with this, and others are confirming it works that way for them as well.

@everyone else, would you be content with a checkbox per-notification type that allows you to specify if the popup is issued or not? That sounds like where this conversation is generally heading.

If you click the dropdown, all notifications are marked as read. I can't reproduce any problems with this, and others are confirming it works that way for them as well.

@everyone else, would you be content with a checkbox per-notification type that allows you to specify if the popup is issued or not? That sounds like where this conversation is generally heading.

That'd be nice (per-notification type option for a popup or not).

I'll file a bug report for the counter not updating if I notice it again, could someone maybe quote this post to check whether I'm experiencing it on this forum as well?

Edit: just checked on our forum and now it does work :s I'm 100% sure it didn't before (as I was stuck at '3-7' for at least two days, having looked at the dropdown a couple of times...).

Brandon,
When I click the dropdown (the small one) the number is still showing unless, like Morrigan I refresh the page with a Ctrl F5. I have tried this with the default skin and a modified default skin and two different forums (one test) and this does not work to remove the number. If you or someone else will send me a PM here I will see what happens here on the company forums. Here is the scenario - A PM comes in with the popup box in the middle of the page, I click that as "Mark as Read", the "1" is still in the small popup as well as the one by my avatar, I click on the small box dropdown arrow and the notifications pop down, I click anywhere on the page to close the notifications and the number "1" is still there until I refresh the whole page? I don't need three things telling me I have a message or whatever.

Brandon,

When I click the dropdown (the small one) the number is still showing unless, like Morrigan I refresh the page with a Ctrl F5. I have tried this with the default skin and a modified default skin and two different forums (one test) and this does not work to remove the number. If you or someone else will send me a PM here I will see what happens here on the company forums. Here is the scenario - A PM comes in with the popup box in the middle of the page, I click that as "Mark as Read", the "1" is still in the small popup as well as the one by my avatar, I click on the small box dropdown arrow and the notifications pop down, I click anywhere on the page to close the notifications and the number "1" is still there until I refresh the whole page? I don't need three things telling me I have a message or whatever.

Yes, it doesn't visually clear until you refresh. Still, opening the dropdown is the action that marks them. We just didn't want to clear it on display so you could still see which notifications are new in the dropdown.

Yes, it doesn't visually clear until you refresh. Still, opening the dropdown is the action that marks them. We just didn't want to clear it on display so you could still see which notifications are new in the dropdown.

OK, then I agree with the checkboxes you propose, but make them all enabled by default including the popup notification :thumbsup: and bring back the 3.0.5 style popup with the nice buttons and proper wording!

I would be happy with just the sidebar block that lets you mark them off the list by clicking the "X" (auto update) versus a tix box that you have to update via submit...The same thing applies when viewing the drop list. I don't think a whole new page is necessary and it's time consuming. Notifications are just that and to have a whole pagination setup just really makes me delete them all without even bothering to see what they are.

Archived