VNC on this IPS site

Abomination

[*]When I reply to a topic, then click on VNC it then shows up on page 3 of VNC. A few minutes later it starts showing up earlier in the list of VNC and eventually it bubbles to the top of VNC. [*]The topics I have read still show up in VNC, eventually they no longer show up in VNC, but it seems to take time. My settings are set to only show New Content I have not read. Is it working correctly? :unsure:

This is incredibly bizarre.

At first this thread did not show up at all when I first started it so it was working like it was supposed to, then a little while later it showed up VNC marked as read.

Sphinx indexes topics every 15 minutes, so could take a short while to show up

I say its broken, but devs say it isnt. http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-23049-view-new-content-feature-shows-read-content/

This happends to me in my own forum every day, many times

1. i mark all read

2. i see new content screen, nothing in there. Good.

3. someone posts something, i go to new content

-> there are that new post, but 3 other (read topics) too!

4. read that new topic and go back to new content

-> all 4 topics are gone from there.

I dont use Sphinx.

Make sure your search settings are are as they in the image. Then when you do a VNC on a non Sphinx powered site you should only see new content since you marked the board as read or since your last visit. Works for me like this at my site.

Yeah the way it works here with Sphinx is a little disconcerting and it would put me off installing it in my forums.

3DKiwi

Make sure your search settings are are as they in the image. Then when you do a VNC on a non Sphinx powered site you should only see new content since you marked the board as read or since your last visit. Works for me like this at my site.

Yeah the way it works here with Sphinx is a little disconcerting and it would put me off installing it in my forums.

3DKiwi

Are you using 3.1.0?

Have you tried Sphinx on any 3.x.x version?

I'm still on 3.0.5. One thing I have learned in the 5-6 years I've using IPB is never upgrade the same day / week that a significant new version comes out. Let others have the problems. I'll wait until 3.1.1 comes outand upgrade without too many dramas. IPS by then will be less busy and if I have any problems will be able to assist with less waiting for a ticket response.

I tried installing sphinx on my server but I'm not a geek and gave up. After seeing how it works here I'll stick with the standard search.

3DKiwi

Sphinx is working wonderfully on our server. However, according to the documentation provided by IP, VNC is NOT affected by Sphinx. Therefore, it's a software issue. I'm also experiencing some strange behavior with VNC. There should be two choices. DB marking or cookie marking. Not a combination of both. One or the other.

Sphinx is working wonderfully on our server. However, according to the documentation provided by IP, VNC is NOT affected by Sphinx. Therefore, it's a software issue. I'm also experiencing some strange behavior with VNC. There should be two choices. DB marking or cookie marking. Not a combination of both. One or the other.

Small correction.

VNC uses Sphinx as of IP.Board 3.1. The documentation article you reference was out of date (it was covering 3.0), however I believe Mark W updated it yesterday when I pointed that out based on your post.

• Management

Worth noting you can change the frequency of the deltas. We recommend 15 mins but you can make it every 5 or 10 mins if you wanted. Monitor your server but it should be OK.

Archived