Improve speed for 3.1

marklcfc

I remember when 2.0 first came out, it was sluggish to begin with but you got there in the end, all pages were loading in 0.1 seconds (depending on your server).

3.0.5 is slow loading compared. You go on a vbulletin, smf, invision 2.3 site, pages will more often than not load instantly. With Invision 3 you have to sit there for a split second while it loads. I read in another topic a member of staff said Neowin was doing well with speed - it's not, i know its a busy site but pages on there load between 0.3 and 0.6 seconds. Is there more queries slowing it down now? I don't know the ins and outs, but I think it's something you should work on before releasing 3.1.

I upgraded to 3.0.5, rebuild 1 million posts and optimised a 1.5 million post table - it still seems sluggish.

It boggles my mind when someone says that "0.3 seconds" is slow.

We make resource and efficiency improvements with every release. IPB 3.0 was a brand new codebase, so it's natural that throughout it's life cycle we will improve upon this new codebase to make it more efficient over time as things are discovered. I would not say 3.0 is slow, myself, however.

• Management

I think 0.3 or even 0.6 is very reasonable given the size of Neowin and the hardware they run it on.

For what it's worth, our main competitor is very pleased with these figures:

Blog: .662 seconds, 40 queries
Forum: 1.09 seconds, 31 queries
CMS: .87 seconds, 100 queries

As you were advised in your other topic, it is best to post a ticket to your client center for investigation into resource issues. If all you say is we should "improve codes asap", where exactly would you recommend we start looking? We need to look into what's going on in the forums having trouble to get some idea of what we need to do to improve resource usage.

There are many large sites using 3.0 without issue. While I think it's natural to expect some additional overhead when coming from 2.x (or 1.x) to 3.x, you should not be seeing your server go down, etc. If you do, that's a support issue and you need to submit a ticket. There isn't a general resource problem with IPB 3 that we are aware of.

After upgrading to version 3.0.3 myself and members noticed an immediate sluggishness / slow down with my forums. That was pretty much fixed in 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 and the page loading speed is no longer an issue and I would say almost as fast as version 2. What may help is to slow down the search engines madly indexing your site by adding a carwl delay to your robots.txt file and slowing Google down by editing the crawl speed in you Google Webmasters account. Seems the search engines go nuts with version 3. My CPU load came down after doing these 2 things. I also had more memory added to my server.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

• Management

IP.Board 2 and IP.Board 3 are different engines. A tuned SQL config for 2 may not be best for 3. As others have mentioned, any script taking down MySQL needs to be addressed.

However, ultimately there is only so much you can do with MySQL which is why we have invested time in looking at alternatives for searching (Sphinx) to offset some of the load.

during busy times, ipb have hard time to load the page, also the javascripts acts in a way that when the whole page is loaded it shows to the screen.

how about using more ajaxed based forum. an in facebook, in few clicks i can go all around the forum.

also many css are loaded where it shouldn't. that includes javascripts.

ipb is a beautiful script, yet vb is still better when it comes to serverload moderation. i will stick with ipb till the end for one simple reason, they listen!

we have good server to host forum, so don;t really think this is a "server "issue

We now turn off httpd.conf 's keepalive OFF, server becomes stable since.

I think this is pretty clear to see that IP.Board need a lot of more server resources while on 2.3.6 we could simply kept keepalive ON all the time

Maybe IPS should TELL us "HOW TO " tweak server 's MySQL/HTTP base on IPB 3.0.X then ?

However, I am not too sure how many IPB users use dedicated server like us and could tweak server any time and any way we want

we have good server to host forum, so don;t really think this is a "server "issue

We now turn off httpd.conf 's keepalive OFF, server becomes stable since.

I think this is pretty clear to see that IP.Board need a lot of more server resources while on 2.3.6 we could simply kept keepalive ON all the time

Maybe IPS should TELL us "HOW TO " tweak server 's MySQL/HTTP base on IPB 3.0.X then ?

However, I am not too sure how many IPB users use dedicated server like us and could tweak server any time and any way we want

Your optimal configuration will depend on many things - your server hardware, the amount of traffic you get, your settings within IP.Board and the behaviour of your members when they use your community (if they often search, for example) are a few examples.
There is no optimal configuration for IP.Board. It is something you need to discuss with whoever is charged with managing your server. Of course, if you are having particular issues with one area, or as has been mentioned several time, things are so bad that your server is going down, we can certainly take a look and give some advise.

Your optimal configuration will depend on many things - your server hardware, the amount of traffic you get, your settings within IP.Board and the behaviour of your members when they use your community (if they often search, for example) are a few examples.

There is no optimal configuration for IP.Board. It is something you need to discuss with whoever is charged with managing your server. Of course, if you are having particular issues with one area, or as has been mentioned several time, things are so bad that your server is going down, we can certainly take a look and give some advise.

Exactly. As has been mentioned several times, if you face issues you need to submit a ticket.

Obviously not everyone is having server issues. That means, if you are having server issues it's not some global issue affecting everyone that we can just tell you the cause of. We need to take a look at your server to see what the problem might be.

Could be a DOS or DDOS. Could be increased search engine spidering. Could be a bad mysql configuration. Could be a bad PHP extension (many people reported problems with eAccelerator after updating to IPB3). Could be a lot of things. We won't know what it is without access to your server, however. ;)

yet,.. above all; it is not bad to have this in mind all the time to improve where ever possible the execution time of every page.

i got an idea: how about having the whole task manager inside ipb as a cronjob added via cpanel. although it is possible, one can have just one link instead that will check which task will run.

Archived