Please Consider vBulletin Crossgrade

sedated

[quote name='.Ian' date='19 October 2009 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1255989930' post='1869031']
There is no real value in an old style vb licence as too many are selling them.

I have them to sell and they are not worth a lot.

I would rather convert mine to IPB and put all my forums under the one software product.

With such a discount, I could move them over.

At the moment it is $130 to upgrade to the VB suite or $249 to convert to a similar offering here or $299 for the full works (current offer).

Yes and in 18-24 months Vb will be coming for the full price to upgrade to 5.0

Whereas it will only be renewal fees here at IPS :)

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='19 October 2009 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1256015813' post='1869114']
Yes and in 18-24 months Vb will be coming for the full price to upgrade to 5.0

Whereas it will only be renewal fees here at IPS :)

If Internet Brands feels the need to subsidize executive bonuses, expect "major updates" every 6 months along with the same hefty "upgrade fees" that cost the same as a new license. The only Internet Brand I have now is on my rear end.

[quote name='.Ian' date='19 October 2009 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1255989930' post='1869031']
There is no real value in an old style vb licence as too many are selling them.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick (I'm not a vbulletin customer), an upgrade to vB 4 is free, but if you want to buy it new, it's $195.

Doesn't that mean that you can sell a vB 3 license for up to $194.99 to someone without a license who is considering a purchase?

Nope the upgrade is 'free' - but when your support subscription ends you have to pay $175 to get it renewed to either get support or updates.

Or you can pay $130 until end of September to upgrade to the suite.

After September it is $250 for the suite or $175 for forums only.

Not exactly what I call free ;)

[quote name='rct2·com' date='20 October 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1256048698' post='1869231']
Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick (I'm not a vbulletin customer), an upgrade to vB 4 is free, but if you want to buy it new, it's $195.

Doesn't that mean that you can sell a vB 3 license for up to $194.99 to someone without a license who is considering a purchase?

Thats not quite correct.

It is free to upgrade to 4.0 until the customers current renewal date runs out then after this date to continue to get updates including security ones they have to pay $175 or continue unsupported.

[quote name='.Ian' date='19 October 2009 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1255989930' post='1869031']
There is no real value in an old style vb licence as too many are selling them
Depends on your definition of "value". I just sold mine for $85 each, which makes the move to IP.B only $65 per forum. That's a pretty good value to me. If IPS offers a volume discount come Nov. 2nd, then it'll be even better. But I'd pay twice as much for an IP.B license before I'd give one more cent to Internet Brands (but don't tell the IPS folks that!) ;)

Steve

[quote name='rct2·com' date='19 October 2009 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1255989177' post='1869028']
it does still have a residual value which could be realised by selling it on.

It only has value if your upgrades were current. If not, it would be a large cost to make it eligible for sale, as they don't allow the sale, transfer or trade of expired licenses. It may come to pass (guessing) that aftermarket trading in licenses will be ended at some point.

[quote name='Bluesplinter' date='20 October 2009 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1256061037' post='1869296']
I just sold mine for $85 each
Roughly half the price of the old full license cost, so it's lost considerable value. A few months ago they were routinely sold for $130. At this point, were they eligible for sale, I'd part with my 4 licenses for what you sold yours for, too. As it is, I've lost that investment just as soon as there are unsupported vulnerabilities discovered in the pre v4 releases. I'd imagine the people that make/release exploits are also watching. ;)

So you (and I don't mean 'you' personally) have something that is valueless, but want to "trade" it in for a discount on something else.

I'm failing to see the logic here.

I'm afraid that you guys with VB licenses are between a rock and a hard place. You can either spend a few hundred dollars with IB or with InVision. But it seems to me that the oncost if you transfer over here is going to be beneficial.

So I don't see the logic in InVision 'incentivising' anybody to move over, at the risk of upsetting their existing customer base.

[quote name='Bluesplinter' date='20 October 2009 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1256061037' post='1869296']
Depends on your definition of "value". I just sold mine for $85 each

I wish I could sell mine for $85!

[quote name='Hatsu' date='20 October 2009 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1256065552' post='1869329']
Wow, I'm really speechless... :ohmy: :no: :sad:

Sorry!

I agree about the lack of reason for IP to add additional incentives (though I'd gladly avail of it). I was pointing out that the VB licenses I currently own are worth far less today ($0) than they were a month ago. I'd prefer to move to something that will retain the value of the money I spend on it. Can't throw good money after bad, as they say, and the cost of a new license here appears to be a better bet than that of VB currently.

[quote name='.Ian' date='20 October 2009 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1256066444' post='1869335']
I wish I could sell mine for $85!
Well, there were a few other folks asking for licenses after I sold all of mine. WHT has an active marketplace for such things. I don't know the rules about linking to other forums, but just Google WHT and it's the first result.

Steve

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 October 2009 - 02:28 PM' timestamp='1256070509' post='1869371']
The only similar rules we have here is that we ask members not to promote competing web hosting services. You can naturally link to other sites and resources. :)

I assume you are talking about http://webhostingtalk.com

Yep. And thanks for clarifying the linkage rules. :)

Steve

How about add the 'ip.content' plugin too? The vb suite has this as the CMS front end so... I'd say that's the edge that would convince many.. me included :)

[quote name='Charles' date='18 October 2009 - 01:51 PM' timestamp='1255884677' post='1868398']
Community Suite is Board/Blog/Gallery with a discount of up front price AND the renewals - we can't make it much cheaper ;)

Hi, I just want to say thanks to IPS.
I am happy because I put a dispute on paypal and paypal give me the money back (I bought vb 1 month ago).
Now I am doble happy because I am feeling the HUGE difference in customer relationships with the IPS team, we are persons to IPS but we are only licenses to Internet Brands/new Jelsoft. Thank you very much for the discounts, thank you for answer so quickly :)

Archived