Small page width for iPhone users

KT Walrus

I'd like to see the LoFi skin work better on the iPhone or maybe a new skin derived from the LoFi skin for iPhone use.

The main problem, at least when using Safari on my iPhone, is that the fonts are so small and the page so wide that I have to keep zooming in on each page to see the text and choose links.

I haven't researched it, but there must be some way to make this work.

When I browse to m.google.com with my browser user agent set to pretend to be an iPhone, I see that the page is formatted specifically for the iPhone so that the page fits the phone's screen exactly and the fonts are large enough to be seen.

Just a quick look at the source for the page as seen by an iPhone, shows:

There is some other header html that might be making this work better.

Anyway, that is my suggestion... make Lo Fi work better on the iPhone.

meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0,user-scalable=0"

Just tried adding the viewport code shown above into the Lo Fi skin on my board and it works much better!

There will also need to be some header changes so the Signed In line doesn't overwrite itself with the left and right links all smashed on top of themselves and the App Menu wraps badly (because I have installed a lot of apps), but these things are probably easy to fix in the skin for mobile users.

So, my suggestion stands. I'd like to see a better Lo Fi skin for mobile users.

I'm revising my suggestion.

I just visited webhostingtalk.com in Safari (spoofing my user agent to pretend to be an iPhone) and the skin they use is fantastic.

Lo Fi just won't cut it in comparison. Everything is laid out very nicely.

So, I'm upgrading my feedback to request that IP.Board come with a default skin designed just for iPhone/mobile users. Maybe Lo Fi is it, but it should have buttons and even the colors that iPhone users expect and can have Javascript. The iPhone just has a small screen so the skin should be written with that in mind.

[quote name='Rikki' date='09 August 2009 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1249868013' post='1841123']
It's unlikely we'll have a skin by default that's specifically for iPhone, simply because it's only one device. There will be a better LoFi skin in a later release, though.

I'll just hope that the skinning community comes up with a decent iPhone skin. It can't be that hard to do. Make some buttons that look like the iPhone theme and then put out very simple html for the various pages. Maybe I'm over estimating the job, but the iPhone is the majority of mobile browsing and deserves a decent experience.

[quote name='TheMac' date='11 August 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1249996643' post='1841793']
Where I have to put this?

meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0,user-scalable=0"
[/quote]
put this:
[code]<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0,maximum-scale=1.0,user-scalable=0" />[/code]

in between <head> and </head>

[quote name='Rikki' date='09 August 2009 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1249868013' post='1841123']
It's unlikely we'll have a skin by default that's [i]specifically[/i] for iPhone, simply because it's only one device. There will be a better LoFi skin in a later release, though.
[/quote]
Excellent. :thumbsup:

Archived