3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Wolfie

Okay, here are a few screenshots of the vbFavorites system. Obviously IP.Board's will be done in a less clunky fashion with AJAX and tableless xhtml.

post-153876-126487442467_thumb.png
You have "Add thread to favorites" link next to the thread options, and "Add post to favorites" in the postbit section.

post-153876-126487444397_thumb.png
This takes you to a screen where you can input a title or description for your own reference.

post-153876-126487445817_thumb.png
And when you login to your user control panel, you see your favorite threads and posts.

The vbFavorites also includes "Favorite Users," which is completely unnecessary since there are numerous variations to Friends lists.

Wolfie's also correct that there's no tangible reason to separate "threads" and "posts" into two different systems. vbFavorites does, but it's superfluous because you can put in your own descriptions for the titles, and make any type of notes you want. If IP.Board allows categories for bookmarks, users can make their own folders for topics, posts, or whatever they see fit.

Or if you go with Gmail's star system, you have a basic framework to start from. Additional features can always be added later. This really doesn't need to be robust to add a lot of functionality to a forum. I use a trimmed down version on my vbullein and it's highly functional.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that is kind of cluttered.

Something like a star (ala Gmail) would be nice, like near the left (on the top). Hovering over the star would say "Add this post as a favorite" (or remove if it's already lit).

When the star is clicked to mark it, a small box could appear next to it where the person could type in a description (maybe default text saying, "Click here to enter a reason for adding this post"). So a person wouldn't HAVE to enter a description, but they could if they wanted to.

When viewing the list of faves, I was thinking something like the topic view of a forum, just maybe a little bit more condensed. On the far left (perhaps in an upgraded version), be able to drag/drop the faves into the order you want.

:)

Yeah that is kind of cluttered.

Something like a star (ala Gmail) would be nice, like near the left (on the top). Hovering over the star would say "Add this post as a favorite" (or remove if it's already lit).

When the star is clicked to mark it, a small box could appear next to it where the person could type in a description (maybe default text saying, "Click here to enter a reason for adding this post"). So a person wouldn't HAVE to enter a description, but they could if they wanted to.

When viewing the list of faves, I was thinking something like the topic view of a forum, just maybe a little bit more condensed. On the far left (perhaps in an upgraded version), be able to drag/drop the faves into the order you want.

:)

exactly

developers, please just read Wolfie's posts in this thread and we're good to go.

Co-signing this again for the postbit. For the user admin, they can use the same set up as the current "Manage Watched Topics."

IP.Board lists all of your watched topics with a check box next to each, and splits them up by forum. To make this work for favorites, all they would need to do is 1) duplicate this exact system for posts instead of topics, 2) remove the notification options, and 3) add a "Manage Favorites" link in the settings menu. That's it! Done. (w00t)

3.1.0? :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

However, I intend to include something similar with my free modification I announced I was working on, if it's any consolation. Expect that modification beginning of next month (hopefully).

Okay dude, where is it?

(Just kidding, kind of)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is being heavily requested on my forum. We post all kinds of recipes and the users are asking for some way of adding them to a personal favourites list or bookmark list. Doing this browser wise sounds simple but you have to keep in mind many many users can barely remember (or know how) to bookmark the forum they are on.

This hook would be very popular!

This hook would be very popular!

If I were capable of it, I'd develop such a hook. I'm rather limited in my abilities though and personally would like it to be a core function that wouldn't apply onto to posts, but other content as well.

In your profile, you can view 'My liked content'... Which will show you everything you've ever clicked the 'like' button on... So in a way it's a bookmark.

Drawback to that is someone might like a post but not consider it a favorite they want to keep track of. Imagine a cross between 'following' something and 'liking' something, where you want a way to find it easily but not necessarily getting updates about it (following) and without a big list of things you don't want to sort through (liking). Or to put it another way, similar to the 'like' system but filtered so it's only content you want to find again.

Drawback to that is someone might like a post but not consider it a favorite they want to keep track of. Imagine a cross between 'following' something and 'liking' something, where you want a way to find it easily but not necessarily getting updates about it (following) and without a big list of things you don't want to sort through (liking). Or to put it another way, similar to the 'like' system but filtered so it's only content you want to find again.

Yes, that's correct. But it's up to the individual user what they hit 'like' on... If they so choose to use that system to ONLY tag content they want to find again, it's a bookmark on content they want to find again...

I agree it's not a true 'bookmark' system but in lue of one not currently existing it's a place to start... At least it delivers the functionality the requester is looking for OOTB... albeit not specifically designed for that purpose.

That's all I was saying... That it 'can' be used that way... I didn't say it was designed specifically for that purpose, but it 'can' be used for this purpose.

If I were capable of it, I'd develop such a hook. I'm rather limited in my abilities though and personally would like it to be a core function that wouldn't apply onto to posts, but other content as well.

I get what you are saying and I would probably use it more in the ip.content or gallery then any other part of the site.

That's all I was saying... That it 'can' be used that way... I didn't say it was designed specifically for that purpose, but it 'can' be used for this purpose.

I know, just wanted to clarify the point of it. I originally made this topic over three years ago when the Like system wasn't available. Reading through the topic, I believe you'll find references to using the +'s as a way to track it. Much has changed, but the overall concept I believe would be a great asset to the IPS suite.

Oh and in case it came off the wrong way, I wasn't dismissing your suggestion. Just putting it out there for the drawback of it, more for others reading the topic than for you.

The "Like" feature would only work if that's the only thing a user plans on liking on the board. I run a weight loss support forum and people love to encourage each other with "likes". At the same time they'd like the ability to have a favorite/bookmarked option for those special workouts and recipes.

While bookmarking them with a browser sounds all well and good most people in my demographic can barely navigate to the forum, let alone figure out how to do this browser wise.

It's obvious this hook would be a huge hit...make it happen :)

Think about the average user not the average tech inclined user and this option will make sense.

It's obvious this hook would be a huge hit...make it happen :smile:

When it comes to something like this, on the viewpoint of creating a link/button to click on to mark (or unmark) something as a favorite, I could do that. The part where I come into a problem is in getting it to respond interactively (the way the Like button works) and in making those marked items available for use.

However I know someone that might be able to pull it off. It's something I'm sure he could charge $5/$10 for and pull in some money for it. I don't doubt that many people would buy it too.

• 5 months later...

Archived