3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Wolfie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bookmarking in the profile should include also blogs and pictures of the gallery. Share the bookmaking will increase the community feeling :)

Ooooh, I like that. Perhaps favorite downloads too? Or to make it simple, maybe not in an initial release, provide a way for applications to enable a bookmarking option on its content. That way if someone has Links or Tracker installed, someone could tag a link or an issue. (Sorry bfarber, not meaning to go nuts with the concept, honest!)

I dunno, we seem to be in the minority here from the sounds of the replies.

Well... If I may share my opinion I am on the same boat... I don't really see the feature as useful since the browser already has that capability and I am not a big fan of adding things just to add them.

Firefox + Xmarks = Bookmarks everywhere. :D

Ooooh, I like that. Perhaps favorite downloads too? Or to make it simple, maybe not in an initial release, provide a way for applications to enable a bookmarking option on its content. That way if someone has Links or Tracker installed, someone could tag a link or an issue. (Sorry bfarber, not meaning to go nuts with the concept, honest!)

Should not be too complicate to do it. Must be similar to the "View new content" where you have just some tabs with the different application (forum, blog, gallery, download) in this way could be easy to navigate between each other bookmarks. :)

P.S. Nothing agains to bookmark also members and calendar. ;)

I'm also hugely in support of seeing a "Favorite Topics" function added to IPB, either standard or as a no-mod plugin.

For moderators alone, it'd be a huge tool, enabling them to store and organize (folders) a whole mess of links in their forum account, so they can direct n00bs as necessary, even if they're moderating on a hotel computer or whatever.

Please, please, please.

I'd like to see this as well. Despite browser functionality being available, I still get asked a lot by my own members if a favorites feature could be made available. It could be very nice if it integrated well with the board, and if it was possible to sort favorites using folders like the above user suggested.

I'd like to see this as well. Despite browser functionality being available, I still get asked a lot by my own members if a favorites feature could be made available. It could be very nice if it integrated well with the board, and if it was possible to sort favorites using folders like the above user suggested.

I think it would help to bring boards (not just IPS, although I'd hope they became the first) up to par with many other sites that offer a way of keeping an eye on something, in this case a post.

Something that would help tremendously would be to automatically have 'expired' favorites placed into a virtual trash can, where the user could look at them and the list of bookmarks would have something like "Post is no longer available for you to view." either because it's been hidden/moved or because it's been deleted. That would be helpful for sites where the admin prunes old topics, but would allow the members the ability to quickly go back to a few posts they wanted to keep track of while they could.

How's that for a bookmark feature? Self maintaining. I'd like to see a browser properly and reliably put bookmarks into a sort of "No longer available" category so you can see what is going 'bye bye!' before you clean it all out.

:D

Thinking on this some, I think I know (concept wise) how it could be made painfully flexible where it could be used by add-on applications and such.

Have the table contain user ID (obviously), type of application (core, forum, blog, gallery, toilet, etc), type of function (such as post, picture, scented or not paper, etc) and the item #/name, as well as the date added, private/public/friends only, a field for a direct url (everything after the "index.php?" part, in case the segmented fields wouldn't be enough to backtrack) and a field for the users notes (simple one line, so they can give it a label). Perhaps also have the users folder/label #, so that it's all stored in the one table. Would only need a smaller table for keeping a running cache for the posts or whatever to easily reference to see how many people have bookmarked it, similar to the reputation cache.

If someone adds on a commerce mod, that mod could allow someone to bookmark an item and then that member could get to it faster in the future. :D Same with the ibpArcade mod, bookmark a game to get to it faster.

I'm also hugely in support of seeing a "Favorite Topics" function added to IPB, either standard or as a no-mod plugin.

For moderators alone, it'd be a huge tool, enabling them to store and organize (folders) a whole mess of links in their forum account, so they can direct n00bs as necessary, even if they're moderating on a hotel computer or whatever.

Please, please, please.

I wasn't entirely convinced that "favourites" were necessary, but you've brought up a very good point. Moderators and admins would definitely benefit from this.

Perhaps it's possible to have your link folders accessible when posting/replying, so you could just "click it in" right from your favorites? :)

You mean like a little menu (like the emoticon pop-up) where you could scroll the bookmarks and then click on one to include in the post? That would rock.

:thumbsup:

Great idea :thumbsup: That would make this idea even more (w00t) (w00t)

I'm just waiting for someone to really wish they had access to a feature like this (looks innocently at bfarber hehe) so that it becomes a definite "Must include" for a future release. :lol:

Even from a non-administrator's point of view this would be a very very welcome development. Anyone used to the wealth of information at flickr for example, knows how nice it is to go back months later and find a post easily without having to create a whole series of bookmarks (renaming/tagging each one pertinently). Moreover, favorites are doubly useful insofar as they allow the author of a post (or new users) to know if the post has been appreciated as high quality info (if, as at flickr, it is possible to visualize who has favorited a post).

I would use this feature regularly and encourage you to consider implementing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This needs a critical eye I think. There is now "rep", "rating" and "watching" of topics. Is that not enough? Also, does the rating feature not already achieve this to some extent? All you would need to do is add a page in profile for filtering your 5 star or maybe even 4 and 5 star posts?

• 1 month later...

This needs a critical eye I think. There is now "rep", "rating" and "watching" of topics. Is that not enough? Also, does the rating feature not already achieve this to some extent? All you would need to do is add a page in profile for filtering your 5 star or maybe even 4 and 5 star posts?

Filtering your 4/5 star posts? What about posts by other people, the posts that you want to be able to get to quickly without searching pages of search results?

Just because you give a + rating on a post, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a favorite. I've given plenty of +'s to posts, but it doesn't mean that I want to have all of them bookmarked for easy retrieval.

The whole concept is to have the board keep an internal list of bookmarks for each user, so that if the site changes it's domain name or where it's stationed at, or if you happen to get onto a different computer or lose your browser's bookmarks list, then you can still see all your bookmarks easily (for that board).

Also, watching a topic is topic specific, not post specific. There may be a post within a topic that someone wants to be able to refer to later on. Are they supposed to remember which post number within the topic it is?

date/time bookmark was added, obviously it links to the post, would have the topic title, who made the post that is bookmarked and could even have a spot so the member could make a note of why they bookmarked it. "this post describes how to fix an issue i have often" for example. or "has a funny story" or something else.

:)

Archived