3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Wolfie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My members are requesting some kind of feature that lets them favorite their favorite recipes and posts...a collection if you will.

While you and I might prefer having a massive folder in our browser filled with tons of bookmarks most of my members do not.

Many of my members are not all that tech savvy and bookmarking (browser wise) in general (especially organizing them) is not their strong suite.

This isn't a weird feature request. There are a ton of people in the forums asking for this exact thing..we are asking because the members of our forums are asking us for it.

Even this hook which I don't think is active anymore has been downloaded over 1000 times:

What difference is between this and the bookmarking feature which all browsers have?

Huge difference is that it's specific to that browser, where as this is specific to a site. While you can share bookmarks across multiple computers using the same browser, there will be times when you visit a site and can log in but you don't have your bookmarks available for whatever reason. There is the added benefit that it would be possible to track how many times a topic/post has been saved.

Since IPS is moving away from the forums as the central app, this should be expanded to include all apps. Favorite blog entry, blog comment, gallery image, download file, etc. Sort of an internal bookmarking system that updates dynamically and works across multiple browsers/computers. If the site structure changes, say moving from domain.com/forums to domain.com/ for example, then faves would still function correctly whereas your browsers bookmarks would all be broken until you fix each of them individually.

The follow system does work if all you are interested in is the activity on the post itself.

I get the fact that there is the "like" button, users can bookmark the page to a specific browser and there is a search function. The fact is there are a ton of people requesting a specific feature...a feature that would make their experience on that forum more enjoyable. The more that user enjoys their time on my forum the easier it is for me to convince them to stick around longer...the longer they stick around the longer I can continue to make revenue off of them.

People like features...especially fun, user friendly, sharing, collecting and "liking" kind of features. It's just the way it is...

My members are requesting some kind of feature that lets them favorite their favorite recipes and posts...a collection if you will.

While you and I might prefer having a massive folder in our browser filled with tons of bookmarks most of my members do not.

Many of my members are not all that tech savvy and bookmarking (browser wise) in general (especially organizing them) is not their strong suite.

This isn't a weird feature request. There are a ton of people in the forums asking for this exact thing..we are asking because the members of our forums are asking us for it.

Even this hook which I don't think is active anymore has been downloaded over 1000 times:

Also this might be good for mobile users or users that may have to borrow another computer or constantly switch beween devices and get new ones all the time. having to sync and wait 10 minutes or more to get your old book marks could be replaced with a handy system like that that works right after login.

Archived