IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

[quote name='Mark' date='17 January 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1263727034' post='1900214']
We do, as do most web designers. Not to mention, the SEO fanatics would have your head for saying that ;)

yeah right.. so search engines can see ur acp links then? and btw im a SEO freak which is why My site is #1 in google if u search for "ipb 3 mods" and #2 in "ipb mods and its all because of the modifications i have done to my board

So i do know what am talking about but w/e

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1263743106' post='1900270']
yeah right.. so search engines can see ur acp links then? and btw im a SEO freak which is why My site is #1 in google if u search for "ipb 3 mods" and #2 in "ipb mods and its all because of the modifications i have done to my board

Being able to manipulate search results hardly qualifies as knowing what you are talking about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you don't know. Just that search results can be manipulated, as has been proven multiple times in the past.

I've asked for this feature before and I'm asking again to make sure it's not forgotten..

With FaceBook connect, I'd like to be able to let members associate their accounts with a FaceBook account, BUT not be able to create a new forum account with FB connect. As it is now, it's either both or neither. Be nice to require new members to register/validate with an actual email account, then allow them to associate a FB account.

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1263743106' post='1900270']

I didn't say you didn't... but we can't ignore standards just because you don't care about them.

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1263743106' post='1900270']

is it really that difficult to add target="_blank" to your a tag instead of whining about it? and BTW, I couldn't find your board when I clicked that link, it wasn't even within the first 10 results.

Not sure what your site is - but the site in your signature does not appear anywhere in my results.

I don't know if this was suggested but feature for untranslated strings in Manage Language section would be very usefull.

Now I am translating new Blog, there are 32 pages and I have to click on every page to find two untranslated strings. We have filter for Out of Date Entries, we could have filter for Untranslated Entries. Very appreciated.

I appreciate allot all of the people who work hard on IPB, everyone are doing a great job and the software is really awesome, but sometimes I get an impression that new versions and features are being developed while some other simple yet highly requested features were left behind incompleted or not implemented at all

Enhancing the reputation system - currently it just looks incomplete and most of members on my board doesn't get why is there a rep system and no option to see at least who gave a point.

Simplifying the add new languages util on the ACP - by seeing the amount of posts asking about it and the number of members who had English overwritten by a different language while trying to add one in addition we can reach a conclusion however this thing is supposed to work it simply doesn't, I gave up on trying to figure that thing out

[quote name='Enkidu' date='17 January 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1263764253' post='1900379']
is it really that difficult to add target="_blank" to your a tag instead of whining about it? and BTW, I couldn't find your board when I clicked that link, it wasn't even within the first 10 results.

[quote name='.Ian' date='18 January 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1263766503' post='1900390']
Not sure what your site is - but the site in your signature does not appear anywhere in my results.

Lol yes I made a URL change :D :D
it was ibmafia.com now moved itto ipbarab xD

A few requests that I want to make sure are seen in this thread...

3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"
This has already had several people endorsing the idea and it's somewhat different from the "Social Bookmarking" that will be in 3.1 since the bookmarks would be stored on the site instead of on external sites/programs.

ACP/Members, member search and actions
[quote name='.Wolfie' date='17 January 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1263782764' post='1900473']
When doing a search/filter on the list of members via the ACP, I'd like to see the following options added:

Requested this before. If someone needs to move 20 or so members, but their search criteria returns 40 or more (and there's no way to filter it any further), it can be a very cumbersome task. [*] See the number of members found that match the filter/search (like "Found 43 members") I would imagine that this should be relatively easy and would be amazingly useful, especially if you want or need a count. [*] Be able to filter based on warn level (Any, None, Less than, More than, Equal to) I was actually surprised that this wasn't already included. Can search based on banned/spam status, why not warn? [*] Would be nice to be able to mass-ban a group. Very useful if you have 10 new members and 8 of them are spammers and you want to ban the accounts. [*] Also, be nice to do other mass actions (from a pull down menu), such as "Moderate", disable PM's, mark as spammers, remove pictures/signatures. Things that could be useful if needed on multiple people to limit their actions. I can understand if this might be a more difficult one to implement, but hoping it can be squeezed in at some point during the 3.1.x series. [*] A tick box to keep the advanced search options open after you click the Update button. Just thought I'd toss this in, because if you use the advanced options frequently, it can be annoying to keep opening it.

The requests are listed in the order of preference.

REQ: set groups to not appear in calendar
[quote name='.Wolfie' date='13 January 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1263358967' post='1898683']
A toggle to prevent members of a group from appearing in the calendar (like their birthday), which would work wonderfully when you ban someone, as it would prevent them from ever appearing in the calendar again.

[quote name='bfarber' date='27 January 2010 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1264606923' post='1904978']
We can't speculate on the release date I'm afraid. It will be released when we feel it is ready.

[*] The mass move/pruning is nice, but would be nice if I could select the members to affect, in case the filter returns more than those I am looking for.

This may seem counter-productive, but honestly - going through a 20 page topic with 1000 different features suggested is actually *harder* for us than going through individual topics about single features.

As a whole, "post all different feature suggestions in one topic" topics aren't as useful as posting separate feature suggestions. I see no need to "copy" suggestions over from other topics into some master topic such as this one. Just a heads up.

I can tell you, if there's some feature suggestion on page 13 in a 20 page topic, it's VERY easy to get overlooked, compared to it having it's own separate topic...

I'd also think that this would help to promote your suggestion to the developers most

• create a new topic with a well-explaining title
  • clearly describe in the topic what you want 
  • Ask every member to rate this topic
  • Create a poll so developers see if there's enough feedback from the other customers

Engage in this topic and if this topic gets huge, the developers will more likely take a look into this special suggestion than looking on a very large thread in post x on page y. 

[quote name='Bryan Sammers' date='28 January 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1264693291' post='1905497']
I'd also think that this would help to promote your suggestion to the developers most

[*]create a new topic with a well-explaining title[*]clearly describe in the topic what you want[*]Ask every member to rate this topic[*]Create a poll so developers see if there's enough feedback from the other customers

Exactly. Though I'd argue that a poll isn't necessary. I tend to look at reputation points quite a bit when looking at suggestions, as it's perfect for that sort of thing. Thumbs up or thumbs down, do you want suggested feature x or not.

Engage in this topic and if this topic gets huge, the developers will more likely take a look into this special suggestion than looking on a very large thread in post x on page y.

[quote name='PrinceOfAbyss' date='01 February 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1265066831' post='1907816']
So, please try to implement a post history for edited posts, so that admin/mods can see an edited post's original text.

This is one of the features I've seen requested a number of times and I too would like it to be available because then if someone tries to cover up some wrong doing, it'll be a wasted effort on their part. That and if someone wants to undo an edit, it becomes easier.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='30 June 2009 - 05:31 AM' timestamp='1246339887' post='1817311']
I want to be able to download PM's/conversations in .txt .html .xml .cvs formats... Heck, any format would be nice.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='30 June 2009 - 05:38 AM' timestamp='1246340321' post='1817315']
I mean mass downloading of conversations/PM's. Not just one conversation but an entire group of them.

+2

[quote name='AndyMillne' date='17 January 2010 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1263686566' post='1900068']
Yep, opening in a new tab/window is a user choice not one for us to make for them.

+1
Or at least make the current ACP setting work correctly in all browsers. In 3.0.5, set to Open New Window, in Safari 3.2.1, no New Window or Tab. In Firefox, new Tab.

A few more Mod functions:

1. Ability to ban members from specific forums.
2. Make it so a mod doesn't have to click into a Topic to edit its Description.

[quote name='boon79' date='12 August 2009 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1250075319' post='1842507']
The ability to re-assigning posts to another user would be great.

+1

benos

[quote name='enosb' date='02 February 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1265169098' post='1908369']

1. Ability to ban members from specific forums.
Yes please!!! I've had need for this on numerous occasions and it's a big pain making another permissions mask for a single user to exclude him or her form that forum.

..Al

Hi!

I´d like to be able to show/hide selected replies within a topic or a whole topic to specific user groups.

On my board i got payed subscriptions, and one of the subscriptions you can buy is a "Gold Membership"
Then I got my support team in another user group. In some topics i want to hide the support teams´s reply from everyone but the Gold members.
I don`t want to hide all posts form the support team from everyone but gold members.

I want all others than the gold members to se the hidden reply as something like this:

"To see this solution please buy a subscription"

What you need is another permission setting. There is already 'Read topics' and 'Reply topics', another would be needed, "Read topic replies" or something of that nature.

I think there is actually a hook that only affects guests so that they can only see the first post of each topic but not anything after that. I'm sure if you contact the author of that hook, they could make one to let you set permissions on who could read the complete topics.

Archived