IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

[quote name='Gabriel Petrelli' date='28 November 2009 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1259399755' post='1883011']
Ajax quick reply would be nice, this has been a requested feature since the IPB 2.x days but is ignored or disregarded every time it is mention. I shouldn't have to pay for a modification to give me functionality that should technically be included in the default package for IPB.

Other forum software has this feature including the free Mybb forum package, so why not IPB as well?

Do you mean when you reply with the fast reply box, it submits the reply via AJAX rather than loading the page, or...?

If that is what you mean, the problem is, if someone submits a reply while you are typing, that won't show... unless there's an additional AJAX call to fetch new posts, but then that totally defeats the point of using AJAX, since you now have 2 page calls... you might as well just reload the topic.

[quote name='Mark' date='28 November 2009 - 09:55 AM' timestamp='1259412900' post='1883043']If that is what you mean, the problem is, if someone submits a reply while you are typing, that won't show... unless there's an additional AJAX call to fetch new posts, but then that totally defeats the point of using AJAX, since you now have 2 page calls... you might as well just reload the topic.
I use [EN30] Ajax Fast Reply v1.0.4 and it works perfectly nice.

See: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Q7fqa7i7i8A

Since reload the topic or have two ajax calls it's the same, I think IPS should at least implement this and give the admin the option to use or not.

Well Ajax saves my connection some bandwidth since it doesn't need to reload the entire page when submitting a quick reply. This should be standard with the default package of IPB since it's faster and cleaner in my opinion. EN30's ajax fast reply does the job nicely, but I don't want to pay extra for something that has been included in other forum software for a while now.

I decided to cough up the money for EN30's ajax fast reply since there was no free alternative and I needed this functionality, it would be appreciated if this could be considered for future versions of IPB such as 3.1.0. :)

[quote name='Adi R' date='28 November 2009 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1259411836' post='1883040']

[*]When you suspend a member (in the Warn Page) - The member automatically will be moved to Banned Group and his title will be changed to Banned. When he's back from the ban, he will automatically be back to the Members Group and his title will be changed.

I do not want to change what we have now. If I wanted to change the visibility to Banned, then I use the old method of banning (separate group). The new and alternate method is not visible and I do not want it changed. It was introduced in 3.x and should remain the same. Suspending a member also should not be visible to others as it always has been that way and must remain so.

[quote name='Adi R' date='28 November 2009 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1259411836' post='1883040']

[*]When you suspend a member (in the Warn Page) - The member automatically will be moved to Banned Group and his title will be changed to Banned. When he's back from the ban, he will automatically be back to the Members Group and his title will be changed.

I agree, but it should be a bit more complex, it should save their original group and then put them in the banned group. So if you unban them they'll get their old groups back.

[quote name='Adi R' date='28 November 2009 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1259411836' post='1883040']
Category Supervisor - In the Forums tabs in the ACP, you can choose a category and add her a moderator.

You mean moderators per category?

+1

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='28 November 2009 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1259450135' post='1883205']
I do not want to change what we have now. If I wanted to change the visibility to Banned, then I use the old method of banning (separate group). The new and alternate method is not visible and I do not want it changed. It was introduced in 3.x and should remain the same. Suspending a member also should not be visible to others as it always has been that way and must remain so.

It's a good idea and it should be an admin option, not everybody runs their site the same way you know.

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='29 November 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1259454020' post='1883214']
I agree, but it should be a bit more complex, it should save their original group and then put them in the banned group. So if you unban them they'll get their old groups back.

You mean moderators per category?

+1

• You're right, just a category moderator.
  • Yes, if I unban the member he'll be back for his old group.

Some other suggestions, don't know if a couple of these were mentioned yet:

1. Better reputation system - Allow comments when giving a member a reputation, allow a member to choose how many points they can vote a post up or down with a max limit configurable from the ACP.

2. I don't know if this is already included in some forum, but a Moderation Control Panel for moderators would be nice, saves from giving access to the ACP but allows for basic actions that a moderator can perform.

3. As mentioned in another thread a feature similar to VB which allows for the soft deletion of posts and threads, allowing them to be restored (Undeleted) at a later time. No more do we fear of allowing delete privileges since content can be restored if it is deleted. Also keeping a post edit history, allowing earlier versions of posts to be reviewed and restored if needed, the unapprove function is simply not sufficient enough.

[quote name='Kfir' date='30 November 2009 - 05:37 AM' timestamp='1259577469' post='1883534']
Allow BBCode & HTML in error messages.
It makes sense that when a member get an error message you may want to link him to the right place.

I can make HTML work in error messages, edit the error in the language file.

[quote name='Gabriel Petrelli' date='30 November 2009 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1259587693' post='1883567']
Some other suggestions, don't know if a couple of these were mentioned yet:

1. Better reputation system - Allow comments when giving a member a reputation, allow a member to choose how many points they can vote a post up or down with a max limit configurable from the ACP.

2. I don't know if this is already included in some forum, but a Moderation Control Panel for moderators would be nice, saves from giving access to the ACP but allows for basic actions that a moderator can perform.

3. As mentioned in another thread a feature similar to VB which allows for the soft deletion of posts and threads, allowing them to be restored (Undeleted) at a later time. No more do we fear of allowing delete privileges since content can be restored if it is deleted. Also keeping a post edit history, allowing earlier versions of posts to be reviewed and restored if needed, the unapprove function is simply not sufficient enough.

1. Good idea.
2. All a moderator really does it moderate forums, the mod tools at the top of every page, and member editing ability. I never saw any reason they would ever need ACP access.
3. There's a trash can... simply restrict all the admins from viewing it, even yourself (may require some mysql queries).

[quote name='Brett B' date='05 July 2009 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1246812828' post='1820731']
I prefer AddThis. I do think it'd be a good idea to add.

+1

[quote name='edivad' date='18 September 2009 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1253306600' post='1857234']
Maybe they are already listed...
in order of importance:
1) post history (when an user edit a post)
2) the ability to soft-delete a post
3) Notification system (as vb 3.8)

+1111111111111111111111111111111

[quote name='BryanH' date='27 October 2009 - 06:15 AM' timestamp='1256624138' post='1872046']
I think this was already suggested somewhere, but I'd like to see a "User Dashboard" where latest friend activity can be monitored, like status updates, posts, uploaded images, etc.

+1

[quote name='InvisionHQ' date='29 October 2009 - 06:58 AM' timestamp='1256799482' post='1872993']
My Personal list

1) Better lightbox with Download and drag features.

2) User browsing this forum in global view (like vb forum)

3) Possibility to create custom Furl by ACP -> like -> http://www.mysite.co...topic-name.html

4) An integrated and official Google Sitemaps tool.

5) Ability to setup where blocks show (forum view, topic view...)

6) Ability to setup (ucp settings) what forum show or block in "View new content"

7) User Referals

8) Reputation logs, user can add some text to motivate +1/-1

9) Newsletter, admin can create many NL and user can setup (ucp setting) the NL subscriptions.

+1

[quote name='InvisionHQ' date='30 October 2009 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1256913892' post='1873461']
Thx :D

I want add to my list:

10) Ability to flag/unflag topic as a personal reminder
11) Social groups
12) In the ACP now you can easly move X members to a new group using the very nice "advanced search filters" , I think this can be very usefull also for add a new group to the filtered result.

+11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

[quote name='MindTooth' date='13 November 2009 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1258141423' post='1878931']
Provide a proper tool for converting the database to UTF-8.

Birger :)

+111111111111111111111111

ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT WE NEED! (the international forums)

because my board is working on windows-1255 (because the data on the DB is windows-1255.. and FURL work only with UTF-8!)

[quote name='Dark Slipstream' date='30 November 2009 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1259592519' post='1883586']
I can make HTML work in error messages, edit the error in the language file.
3. There's a trash can... simply restrict all the admins from viewing it, even yourself (may require some mysql queries).

It's been said over a dozen time by not only me but others as well, the unapprove function and trash can is simply not sufficient enough. IPB needs more robust moderation features and administrative control, neither the trash can and unapprove function gives us this necessary control over our community's content. If IPB really wants to compete with Vbulletin, then it needs to consider Vbulletin-esque features.

Even if the price of IPB is significantly lower than Vbulletin not many are going to go through the hassle of converting because of the following reason(s):

The Vbulletin core package already contains more features than IPB does, many Vbulletin users feel as if they are getting their moneys worth even if it means an increase in price. Why would they be compelled convert to a software that essentially offers less? With Vbulletin's more robust modification community of several free quality modifications make Vbulletin a more ideal choice for administrators ten-fold than IPB does. Most who already have the money are not the slightest concerned with the increased fees of Vbulletin, IPS needs be able to grab this specific market of potential VB-converts by offering more features in their core package than Vbulletin currently does or at least features on par with those in the Vbulletin core package. Note that I am referring to the core package and not addons such as the gallery, blog, download system, and IP.Content.

Also the warning system in IPB is very minimalistic and not as robust as the infraction/warning system in Vbulletin, the Vbulletin system allows for customization and more options than the IPB system does. Also the Rich Text Editor in IPB is very wonky, I find myself often banging my head because of issues with the RTE in IPB that are so much of an annoyance I've disabled the RTE editor for myself. I have none of these problems with the Vbulletin RTE, any problems I have with the Vbulletin RTE are minor and not as excessive as with the IPB RTE.

Please don't take offense to this, I am only offering suggestions for how IPS/IPB can improve their software. I would appreciate it if what I mentioned is considered, I have so much faith in IPB that I've already secured the future of my community as an IPB community with the purchases of the gallery, blog, download system addons, and IP.Content. :)

Thanks for the business lesson, but it's important to remember that IP.Board isn't trying to be vBulletin.

That said, some features on my personal wish-list include improvements to the moderation tools. I'm interested though Gabriel what you think a "moderator control panel" should include - besides possibly a central location for viewing approved/unapproved content - there aren't any tools I can think of that would be suitable for a moderator control panel since they can already do everything (i.e. manage forums and edit members) inline.

[quote name='Mark' date='01 December 2009 - 04:38 AM' timestamp='1259660301' post='1883894']
Thanks for the business lesson, but it's important to remember that IP.Board isn't trying to be vBulletin.

That said, some features on my personal wish-list include improvements to the moderation tools. I'm interested though Gabriel what you think a "moderator control panel" should include - besides possibly a central location for viewing approved/unapproved content - there aren't any tools I can think of that would be suitable for a moderator control panel since they can already do everything (i.e. manage forums and edit members) inline.

The Report Center could certainly use some enhancements. It is lacking in usefulness in its current state. I've suggested numerous times making it behave more like the Tracker -- changing report status would be recorded by making a post and having the ability to add comments.

Allowing users to enter usergroups all by themselfes. (Of course only for those groups the admin will allow them to enter).

This is a standardfeature in all BBs i used/tested (and this is quiet a lot) and comes handy for many purposes. I don´t get it why IP works against an etablished standardfeature. :(

For example: at the moment i´m still on vB 3.8 and we´re using a specialgroup for user who wish to discuss social/political topics, so that other users are not disturbed by them...

[quote name='darkon' date='03 December 2009 - 02:25 AM' timestamp='1259807157' post='1884453']
Allowing users to enter usergroups all by themselfes. (Of course only for those groups the admin will allow them to enter).

This is a standardfeature in all BBs i used/tested (and this is quiet a lot) and comes handy for many purposes. I don´t get it why IP works against an etablished standardfeature. :(

For example: at the moment i´m still on vB 3.8 and we´re using a specialgroup for user who wish to discuss social/political topics, so that other users are not disturbed by them...

We miss that feature a lot. I hope that feature makes it in 3.1. That feature is used extensively in gaming forums.

[quote name='bfarber' date='20 November 2009 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1258750725' post='1881090'][quote name='AlexJ' date='20 November 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1258747415' post='1881076']Image size check in signature. If image link is used in signature it never checks it's size and any user can use 400w * 1000h image making it impossible to read forums. Forums doesn't look decent if everyone uses big and big signatures.

This is already a per-group feature of IPB. You can setup signature restrictions for each group from the Manage Groups area of the ACP.
Ok, you guys are talking about image dimensions. But how about file size limit? You know that we could have for example a PNG with 1x1 px dimensions with a lot of megabytes in it's file size, right? :whistle:

Regards,
Paulo Freitas

Archived