IPB3 Beta 4

Lee Craven

[quote name='Dannyo_merged' date='20 March 2009 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1237564658' post='1791580']
THX!

Now there's the following problem:

Site error: the file /***/ips_kernel/classDbMysql.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.1.so to be installed by the site administrator.

What should I do?

You need to install/enable IonCube on your server.

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='20 March 2009 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1237565912' post='1791584']
I got the contents of your reply in my notification. I believe it is an option in the UCP.

You are correct. Just one of the 1000 settings I have overlooked for a couple of years.

Another problem here:

Now (after I activated IonCube) my forum is not reachable and I can't do the upgrade.

Here's the error message:

[Fri Mar 20 21:48:02 2009] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function fetchMemberData() on a non-object in /var/xxx/xxx/xxx/admin/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 114

The problem is in that line:

$this->memberData =& $registry->member()->fetchMemberData();

What can be wrong here ?

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='20 March 2009 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1237587268' post='1791651']
I agree on the email response, I get emails about replies on my phone and sometimes I'd like to just quickly read the reply not see a link to the thread. Maybe a future mod?

Agree to what? A mod for something that has been available for a long time? What am I missing?

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='20 March 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1237588678' post='1791654']

Agree to what? A mod for something that has been available for a long time? What am I missing?

I don't see a mod for IPB 3, it's not even AVAILABLE as a stable release at this point, maybe 2.x.x has it, why don't you read and understand topic titles correctly before answering with a smart a$ reply? I was posting in response to the emails I get notifying me of responses on THIS site as well as FUTURE IPB 3.x.x forums, nothing more.

[quote name='klwebb' date='20 March 2009 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1237565758' post='1791582']
Another item I would like to see implemented in ipb3 - When you receive an email about a reply being made to a subscribed topic you get the reply in your email not just a notification.

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='20 March 2009 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1237565912' post='1791584']
I got the contents of your reply in my notification. I believe it is an option in the UCP.

[quote name='klwebb' date='20 March 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1237572615' post='1791615']

You are correct. Just one of the 1000 settings I have overlooked for a couple of years.

Your post follows the ones I quoted. I have to asume that you are referring to those. I now quote from the current UCP -

Enabling this option will send a plain text version of the post in the watched topic email

I guess I am a smart-a$.

Include a copy of the post when emailing me from a watched topic

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='20 March 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1237588678' post='1791654']

As you can see your post says it's been available for a LONG TIME.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='21 March 2009 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1237669088' post='1791751']

As you can see your post says it's been available for a LONG TIME.

Since at least 2.3.x days, if not before. That is a long time for me. You even stated that we would need a mod for 3.0.

You just cannot admit you were wrong. Oh well!

I have to disagree with Lee Craven on what IPS clients are paying for. If clients or customers weren't paying for the IPB software with their payment or their renewal fee of $25 every six months then the full version of IPB would be free for everyone, customers and non-customers alike. So, your statement that the fees that we pay to IPS are for support is incorrect.

If that were true, then a lot of customers wouldn't be paying to renew their license. They could simply download the full version. The point is that the license fee is for the software. Customer Support comes along with that license fee, not the other way around, despite what everyone may say.

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='21 March 2009 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1237670156' post='1791755']

Since at least 2.3.x days, if not before. That is a long time for me. You even stated that we would need a mod for 3.0.

You just cannot admit you were wrong. Oh well!

LOL Is it an attack me day? I'm not here to argue, I said it would be a nice future feature for IPB 3.x.x, were NOT talking about 2.x.x here it's a thread ABOUT IPB 3 nothing more, I swear more of you log on here to pick a fight rather than join in discussion, if you don't like my topic, don't talk in it, start your own.

[quote name='kenichi']

I have to disagree with Lee Craven on what IPS clients are paying for. If clients or customers weren't paying for the IPB software with their payment or their renewal fee of $25 every six months then the full version of IPB would be free for everyone, customers and non-customers alike. So, your statement that the fees that we pay to IPS are for support is incorrect.

If that were true, then a lot of customers wouldn't be paying to renew their license. They could simply download the full version. The point is that the license fee is for the software. Customer Support comes along with that license fee, not the other way around, despite what everyone may say.

I think you paying to renew your license is so you can receive full efficient support directly form the developers not just the users, and also so you can recieve 'new updates/security fixes' etc. My point before was I think it's good that IPS allows you to upgrade to NEW releases ie: from 2.x.x to 3.x.x WITHOUT paying for a brand new license, attack me if you will, I maybe incorrect but thats my thoughts, as I stated before, you DO NOT get every release from Adobe do you? When they go from CS 3 to CS 4 did you get the NEW version free? IPS doesn't do it that way, they are generous for giving it's current members the new releases for your 6 month subscription etc, nuff said.

When you pay the $25 bi-annual fee is just to keep the license active. As I said, I think that IPS hasn't really clarified what the license really is. If they said that it's for support, then the download for the full version of IPS would be free. By setting it up so that you have to pay before you download means that you're not actually paying for the support. The support for IPS services is part of the overall license fee.

I'm not attacking you, Lee. The other might be, but, I'm just trying to clarify that if any fees associated with IPB software isn't for support, mainly. I think that's how everyone sees it and how it was explained by IPS Staff. I think the best way to describe it is that the fees customer pays IPS are for 1) software downloads and updates and 2) customer support. I think to say that it's just for customer support in an incorrect statement.

I know you're not I'm just being sarcastic, I don't normally get into things with other members, you're possibly right, but why renew your license just for license renewal? Even if it expires you're allowed to keep your forum hosted just no more updates or 'dev' support or upgrades etc' - I don't know I'm all confused now myself :P

Well, I've always continued to pay for the renewal just to keep the software version updated. The only time I ask for support is when a new upgrade or update is available so it's never bothered me. I just think that ever since this issue came up that it was important to be accurate about it.

And, it's not about license renewal. I renew to keep my forum software updated ... I just think that it's important. I've spent a lot of money keeping my website software updated which is strange because I started off using 1.3. Then upgraded to version 2 but it was unliscensed. This was when I opted to pay for IPB and have been a customer since then. I just consider the $25 every six months part of the cost for my site and I also receive donations from my members for it as well.

[quote name='kenichi' date='21 March 2009 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1237677438' post='1791772']
If they said that it's for support, then the download for the full version of IPS would be free.

The board for free? Sorry, but then there instantly would be a "free" support site. Never going to happen, and dumb.

25 bucks every 6 months is hardly anything. Xbox live is more than that, If you have one google ad anywhere on your site that alone will pay for the charges. Its grateful we don't have to pay between major releases unlike EVERY other software (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, hell the whole adobe family)

Do you know how many illegal IPB board are out there? I know a very successful one with over 100k members and its illegal. How do I know this? I was a sub-admin there and I notied the differences from a nulled board and legal one. Point being, you pay for support and access to resources (such as mods, articles and tutorials) which illegal board users can't. Its there method instead of encrypting the software with ioncube or something.

[quote name='kenichi' date='21 March 2009 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1237677438' post='1791772']When you pay the $25 bi-annual fee is just to keep the license active. As I said, I think that IPS hasn't really clarified what the license really is.

Then maybe you haven't read, It gives you Member Access on the IPS domain. (Resources, Forums, etc)

Also why is there "Open Emoticons (temp)" when there is already an emoticon button?

After the "quality" of the 4th beta, I have decided to dump all my IPS software, and will not be using them after 4 years of support. I am tired of them adding new features now, and breaking things so that a board is inoperable (can't edit members, can't multi-moderate, can't change a few board settings) ... yet being told there's hardly any bugs. In my experience with software development, betas are generally feature locked, and virtually bug free, but here they are at the 4th beta still adding features. I've run out of patience trying to develop skins with things not working. I have re-downloaded and re-installed the betas probably well over 10 times each, tried 3 different dedicated servers, and still these bugs are there, but can't be replicated by staff. So, for now, this is au revoir from me.

P.S. The "Edit" button STILL doesn't work in FireFox.

[quote name='Stallyon' date='22 March 2009 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1237782627' post='1791948']
After the "quality" of the 4th beta, I have decided to dump all my IPS software, and will not be using them after 4 years of support. I am tired of them adding new features now, and breaking things so that a board is inoperable (can't edit members, can't multi-moderate, can't change a few board settings) ... yet being told there's hardly any bugs. In my experience with software development, betas are generally feature locked, and virtually bug free, but here they are at the 4th beta still adding features. I've run out of patience trying to develop skins with things not working. I have re-downloaded and re-installed the betas probably well over 10 times each, tried 3 different dedicated servers, and still these bugs are there, but can't be replicated by staff. So, for now, this is au revoir from me.

P.S. The "Edit" button STILL doesn't work in FireFox.

Stallyon, I wish you luck my friend, I have no negative remarks for your comments, it's your choice at the end of the day. I personally have not gone mad in testing my board although I get no errors on there 'using the board as a member' on my server. The beta is being used here live on the IPS forums, I'm sure the problems that need ironing out are the ones that are affected by the different 'hosts' - I'm with godaddy.com and pay $6 a month for multiple websites, and honestly I have not one issue so far with my board, as I said it could be due to the fact I didn't go through the admin CP in fine detail, but anyhow, I can't change your mind, I wish you luck.

Just a quick note, I added this using the 'edit button' it works on here fine.

Archived