IPB 3.0 Third Party Modifcations and Skinning Question

Guest ᴡᴅツ

So assuming many current IPB customers are using the latest retail version of IPB, along with a custom skin, and with some mods, will migration of these additional tweaks be easily convertible?

Like many popular modifications, such as IB. Market, and one of the many popular point systems, they would be rendered useless until upgraded by the mod writers. I guess I answered my own question for that.

How will upgrading 2.3.5 skins to 3.0 be like?

Yes, I'm afraid skins and mods made for 2.x will not work in 3.x. The changes are just too big to accommodate older work.

For instance, the template system supports "plugins" which we heavily use to apply display related tweaks to data in the template rather than in the source files. This makes customizing how things work much much easier (think of things like formatting dates, or numbers (1000 to 1,000) and so on). We're combining multiple templates into one so that when you want to edit the topic view page, you edit the page, not the 20 templates that make up the page. There's a ton more changes coming on that front, which we will blog about in the future.

However, it is safe to assume that given these changes skins can't possibly work in 3.x. It will take a little time for skinners and modders to update their code (and we will be providing helpful guides near 3.0's release), but hopefully moving forward things should be much much easier for everyone involved. :)

There isn't a preview, its only been in development for a few months (if that), the release is expected Q4 of this year (the last 3 months of this year)

Actually, they aren't the last 3 months of the year, that's Q1. ;)

4th Quarter: July 1, 2008

Yes, I'm afraid skins and mods made for 2.x will not work in 3.x. The changes are just too big to accommodate older work.

I've never drinked before, but that makes me want to get wasted.

Is there a way to make a tool for converting skins at least to a certain extent?

I've never drinked before, but that makes me want to get wasted.

Is there a way to make a tool for converting skins at least to a certain extent?

Unfortunately I can think of no such way to do so....sooooo much has changed already, and there's so much to go. I can't think of any way, myself, to be able to "convert" an old skin via a tool.

Archived