Whats the point of our License Key?

Guest .Ryan

Just wondering when I input my license key number into the ACP, what does that do? Notify you of the URL of the site or something... or what is the purpose of that field anyways.

I think it would make more sense if we used the key during upgrades and installs, but for now I don't see a purpose for it.

At one time, that key was used to turn on things like "registered to" and what not. Back before the end of the free era. Now, there is no need to use it in the ACP area. Sometimes, though not often, the download you get has the license key pre-installed to a file in the IPB directory. I'm sure IPS uses it to verify in some instances, but for the most part it is fake-able and worthless

• Management

Since you're so curious about everything piracy related, Stealth - we do not use the key any longer. We rely solely on URLs. After a long wait for an updated piracy system, templates from our attorneys and retraining of staff, our piracy department has been relaunched as of late last month. When a forum is reported, the URL is checked against Nexus. If the URL is licensed, no further action is taken. If there's no record, we will first attempt to contact the site owner to ensure that our records are up to date (perhaps the site in question is in fact legitimately licensed, however, the site owner has not provided the URL via the client center); if the owner does not reply or the site is deemed to be illegal, we will then contact the host.. then the host's host and continue up the chain until someone takes action.

Distribution is obviously handled more aggressively.

I have reported you a forum and this forum distrute the newest version of your board IPB for example now 2.2.2 and they continue still to distribution of your board. I have reported you before 3-4weeks but they continue. Why you don't interested?
+
This board have more then 60.000members!!!

They do a crack of IPB, IDM, IP BLOG, IP GALLERY! All components!!!
Maybe nearly, They will started to distribution of the Great Software CMS "IPD" when it has released :'( :devil: :(

I have reported you a forum and this forum distrute the newest version of your board IPB for example now 2.2.2 and they continue still to distribution of your board. I have reported you before 3-4weeks but they continue. Why you don't interested?

Because it takes time in today's legal system to do such things.

I'm afraid we can't just send an email to the site you report and say "Hey, stop distributing our software" and they reply "Oh, sure, I'm sorry, I've taken it down.". Most people distributing the work simply don't care - they know they're breaking the law, and an email from us isn't going to stop them. Further to that, many times when the host/server is outside of a country such as the US or UK (where piracy and copyright laws are dealt with more strictly) the host or provider isn't going to comply.

It takes time to deal with this issues. Compounded by the fact that we get so many reports all the time, PLEASE don't expect that you will report a site and it will be down in 24 hours. It doesn't work that way.

I've never understood why it is that so many people expect that the site they reported will be down the next time they check. Just report the site, and go on about your business. Let the piracy team deal with it as appropriate. :)

It's not a direct ratio of time. We might send out 200 emails in a month - of those 200 maybe 100 people comply, while we have to follow up on the other 100. This is just a completely random example - but it's to show that there is no direct correlation to how long it takes to get all piracy dealt with.

Again, the best thing you can do is report the site, and then forget about it. :) Our team will indeed handle it as quickly as possible.

But this is a long time.

if 1 unlicensed forum be down in 1month

100 unlicensed forum=100month

I know more then 100forum unlicensed + distribution of your forum.

I will reported you 5 per5 :)

Oh dear. Really, you shouldn't concern yourself with it once you have reported it. People going on crusades have been a serious problem for IPS (which resulted in things like the IPScheck being obfuscated and blocked) and all in all, it's not really your problem. Yes, it can be quite annoying to visit a site and see that they are getting for free (illegally) something you paid good money for, but it's quite simply not your job to be scouring the internet for pirated forums. It's not something you should be getting so worked up about.

you should ddos the sites that don't comply :P .

That's illegal.

I really don't get why reporting sites and getting them taken down is such a big thing for people. It's like a weird, obsessive turn on or something.

I've been a lifetime customer for 4 years now, and while I don't like the idea of IPB being used illegally, I'm content with the fact that IPS will deal with it as best they can.

Yes, it can be quite annoying to visit a site and see that they are getting for free (illegally) something you paid good money for, but it's quite simply not your job to be scouring the internet for pirated forums.

I don't understand. You want I don't report these illegal site to IPS and leave these forums to continue use their forums UNlicensed?

Since you're so curious about everything piracy related, Stealth - we do not use the key any longer. We rely solely on URLs. After a long wait for an updated piracy system, templates from our attorneys and retraining of staff, our piracy department has been relaunched as of late last month. When a forum is reported, the URL is checked against Nexus. If the URL is licensed, no further action is taken. If there's no record, we will first attempt to contact the site owner to ensure that our records are up to date (perhaps the site in question is in fact legitimately licensed, however, the site owner has not provided the URL via the client center); if the owner does not reply or the site is deemed to be illegal, we will then contact the host.. then the host's host and continue up the chain until someone takes action.

Distribution is obviously handled more aggressively.

Sure I am because if I am paying $150.00 + updates for 2x licenses I want to make sure my "investment" is secured. $150.00 for a standard forum license is pretty steep, and pirating it is like looking for a Dunkin Doughnuts shop in Boston, its at large. <_< Possibly a third license will need to be purchased unless PHPBB3 goes RC1 soon. So can't we remove that license key thing from the ACP and the Client Center since it serves no purpose, just like the old skin marcos that remain?

Thanks for the anwser.

The license key does serve a purpose: A tracking ID. Plus the fact that with the keys it's fairly easy to tell what type of license it is without actually looking at it further... You couldn't do that with a randomized string or ID #.

After all it's a "License" showing that you're "Licensed".

I'm afraid we can't just send an email to the site you report and say "Hey, stop distributing our software" and they reply "Oh, sure, I'm sorry, I've taken it down.".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At one time, that key was used to turn on things like "registered to" and what not. Back before the end of the free era. Now, there is no need to use it in the ACP area. Sometimes, though not often, the download you get has the license key pre-installed to a file in the IPB directory. I'm sure IPS uses it to verify in some instances, but for the most part it is fake-able and worthless

Correct licence key should "unlock" features on my board. For example i couldn't create categories and forums until i don't enter my licence key to my ACP. If you don't have the key, you are unable to create forums. I believe that every key is unique, and my key should be working only on MY forum.

:unsure:

Correct licence key should "unlock" features on my board. For example i couldn't create categories and forums until i don't enter my licence key to my ACP. If you don't have the key, you are unable to create forums. I believe that every key is unique, and my key should be working only on MY forum.

You don't need a license key anymore to do that stuff.

Yeah, sure. We are talking about a key that was mostly a perk back when it originated though. It was "cool" to be able to use it and make your forums say "registered to". Now, everyone has a license....so I'm just another sheep in the herd :(

• 2 weeks later...

we do not use the key any longer. We rely solely on URLs.

After a long wait for an updated piracy system, templates from our attorneys and retraining of staff, our piracy department has been relaunched as of late last month. When a forum is reported, the URL is checked against Nexus. If the URL is licensed, no further action is taken. If there's no record, we will first attempt to contact the site owner to ensure that our records are up to date (perhaps the site in question is in fact legitimately licensed, however, the site owner has not provided the URL via the client center); if the owner does not reply or the site is deemed to be illegal, we will then contact the host.. then the host's host and continue up the chain until someone takes action.

(At the bold-ed parts...) If that is the case then; why was I/my forum partner contacted by your privacy department asking for us to enter a registry key into our AdminCP? ...since you solely rely on URLs :unsure:

Archived