My thoughts on some of the additions in IPB 2.2

Guest Gogf

I think with the current editor if the icons where more to the point of what they are, better title tips to explain what they are quick, bigger size so they can see better, put the arrows at the bottom left hand side (not the right) and replace them with the +/- or hell leave them as arrows but have a tool tip say what they are and fix the smile box, I kind of like the next link it had, but that's not a big deal. Some other fixes other pointed out and whatever issues it has right now other then design wise and please remove the smile drop down, lol. Should have a nice looking editor.

In regards to the quick reply one, I see the option to highlight text and quote it easy has been removed. Too bad as I use that feature lot for quick replies. I guess now I'll have to use old copy past to get the job down. Nothing big, was one of those IPB features I found very useful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think it's fine the way it is. The only thing that may needs to be changed (in the editor. Not talking about side bar) is the link icon. Needs to be more to the point. As far as where things are or the size of the buttons... Lets keep things the way they are. I think what we have now is a huge improvement as it is, and we dont need to make any more changes right now. Let's just try it the way it is, and make changes on a future release.

Other things may need some tweaks before the release, but lets draw the focus away from the editor now. Please.

Yeah the buttons should be a bit bigger and to the point. I can't even tell the image and link icons apart, this is from the fast reply part now. I have a feeling its going to go back or end up being two versions of the editor now because now we have all the members who did like the drop down menus crying to have them put bacl. I mean what is IPS to do? Thats why I say let Matt and the rest of IPS do it their way and anyone who doesn't like it can change it in the tempalte bits and the php files. Which what I'll end up doing anyways for the most part on things I dislike. I may even change the buttons as I like the classic look better then the rounded buttons. But I'm not going to ask for IPS to put it back as I can simply do it myself.

Sorry, I'm tired.

I did that because it never fails that people ask the infamous question of "when will it be done"
It got to the point long ago that people usually just say, "when it's done".

When products are tested, alpha, beta etc it's very difficult to have a set date. They might have a timeline or a best guess but when testing you might find all sorts of "bugs" that need to be fixed.

I still don't get all the conncern over privacy if someone looks at a profile while anonamous and their user name appears in the list as having visited the profile.

It doesn't list them as anonamous if they create a post. Under the logic that having their username appear in the profile as viewing it is an invasion of privacy then it is also an invasion of privacy for their username to be shown when they post.

Really, if they don't want me to know they viewed my profile then they shouldn't view it.

I still don't get all the conncern over privacy if someone looks at a profile while anonamous and their user name appears in the list as having visited the profile.

It doesn't list them as anonamous if they create a post. Under the logic that having their username appear in the profile as viewing it is an invasion of privacy then it is also an invasion of privacy for their username to be shown when they post.

Making a post is equivalent to leaving a comment on a user. Viewing a thread is equivalent to viewing a profile.

Really, if they don't want me to know they viewed my profile then they shouldn't view it.

By this logic, you could argue that "if they don't want me to know what they're viewing on the forum, then they shouldn't be viewing it." Clearly this logic doesn't hold, otherwise we wouldn't have a stealth mode at all.

By this logic, you could argue that "if they don't want me to know what they're viewing on the forum, then they shouldn't be viewing it." Clearly this logic doesn't hold, otherwise we wouldn't have a stealth mode at all.

Anonymous mode seems so pointless to me. It's almost like it's just there because it has always been there, and all the other forum softwares offer it. :P

Here is the explanation I just typed out for the invisible mode and the ability to hide whose profile you've viewed :).

(Yes, it's advertising, but it's advertising a part of this site. And I don't particularly feel like pasting all of that into here :P.)

I just read this topic today. lol nice stuff said @Gogf

Anyways, I just wanted to add something about the signature. You see the dashed "--------------------" under the signature? would it be possible to move along with signature align? Like, If I center, right my sig, it would be in there as well.

It's not big deal, I suppose, but would look nice...since dashed rep that it's signature section.

Anonymous mode seems so pointless to me. It's almost like it's just there because it has always been there, and all the other forum softwares offer it. :P

Actually I find it very useful.

Some people on my site (as well as others) are pretty popular. And rather than being seeing that they are on, they go invisible. If they didn't, they would get nailed with pm's, IM's, and so on.

My mods, co-admins, and I all usually stay invisible most of the time. Partially because of what I just said, but also because I have noticed some spammers like to wait and attack if they think no mods or admins are around to stop them. Its actually very effective this way and we can stop them and erase their posts and ban them usually well before most anyone even notices.

well for myself I wish there were an option in the aCP that could turn off Anonymous use completely, set for specific groups, or simply remove this. So many think they can come onto a site anon and cause havoc... little do they realize they can be viewed by staff whom monitor the sites. So they are sqaushed like bugs of course, but still, if it were not an option, the temptation would be reduced.

Also the mod that allows the Report A Post to be turned off for guests and trial members is a real boon. Like many, I have it set so it pages my cell phone even. I won't take the chance for anything illegal to be posted and a good member can sure help in insuring this if they note something... but a n00b using the site sees it and thinks it is a reply button and clicks it... so like a fire alarm in a crowded theator, it turns out to be an idiot screwing up.

The post icons are really really a pain. The excuse that members can soon look at what they are and get used to it just makes me laugh. That is why icons on ones desktop have text under them... for those that think the cute lil pictures are just that.. cute lil pictures and not a function that one must guess what it does. Also it is extremely difficult to add to the post icons now... I was unable to link a new button to do a bb movie code I'd made, so members must read the pinned topic and hack about in hopes they can manually use this function added.

Also since so many members attach now (one of the main reasons IBP got it's first customers btw,) I still do not understand the single one at a time attachment method. With all this new ajax and java code that confuses and clutters, surely there is a mode that a member can press while posting that will offer addition lines of attachement. (I know a member can upload one...wait forever, brouse local, upload another, etc, with hopes they do not actually attach something twice after doing this 20 or 30 times...)

The reduced linked imaging is a nice plus, but a feature I won't personally use, but i kow of others whom I tech whom will utilize it.

Some points:
1. I didn't realize until reading this a ffew minutes ago that avatars now link to profiles. I guess that's ok, although I assume that will make audio avatars not possible now. And those were pretty cool. I did one on my site where clicking my avatar made a thunderstorm sound.
2. I never realized the sig images were being resized. If I understand Matt correctly, all images in sigs will now be resized depending on browser width? If so, that is a VERY good idea. I had to keep trying to limit sig sizes on my site because it would stretch 800 by 600 res screens so much that it would be terrible.
3. I don't know why editor was changed from having the smiles on the left to begin with because if ANYTHING needs to have a change it is IN THE PM SYSTEM, when you are reading a message you receive, there should be NO MENU on the left, it should look just like a topic view where the avatar on left and message on right fills up most of the screen. The whole PM area should have menus ABOVE everything else, in my opinion instead of sidebar. But as for editor, I am unsure why that needed to be redone really.

Archived