My thoughts on some of the additions in IPB 2.2

Guest Gogf

I'm going to be a pain, and say I preferred it with the 'Insert Special Item' menu... Especially when the sidebar was open, as it now looks quite empty.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Proof that you can't please all of the people, all of the time. :D

It was changed as most people said they didn't like it. Unforunately without hearing from those who did like it, it becomes a landslide victory for the ones who spoke up. :)

The "Insert Special Item" menu was more explicit as every item had a description in the dropdown menu. Now there're only images without description. I know the images DO have titles which appear on hovering mouse, however a dropdown was better.

I'm going to be a pain, and say I preferred it with the 'Insert Special Item' menu... Especially when the sidebar was open, as it now looks quite empty.

Your right on that one, i also like the "old" Insert Special Item menu.
But it is also working as it is now, it just don't look that cool ;)

I actually liked it the way it was before. And now the unlink feature is gone. The side panel now looks... weird. I hope there is a way to change it back because some people arnt as smart to look at a graphic and know what something is. A little bit of redundancy never hurt anyone. I don't mean to be a pain but.. grrr....

#1) Unlink gone
#2) "Smiles" has not enough padding on the bottom.
#3) The "side panel" is no longer the same height as the right side.
#4) The "side panel" is rather empty.

The other stuff I could agree with. The editor... I don't want to be a pain in the arse... :)

EDIT: Here here's a suggestion (if anyone cares). Leave the buttons and add unlink back (although I dont know if there's enough room to line it up. Oh well). Add Quick Access back and let the user turn it on or off. On, it would be the way it was before. Off, the Emoticons would take up the entire space (and not just some of it). I think before it took up half the space, so it would take up half the emoticons than before (maybe 3 time more. Not sure). More emots that take up more than the "bigger" space would just have a Next Previous thing. The other one with quick access would just have more clicks through Next (if there are that many emoticons).

Matt, how easy is it to remove the JS function when viewing someones signature - but leave it to work for normal posted images? I'd love to install 2.2 but I can't because I keep getting an error on the install which noone can recreate.

I think the auto-resize for posted images is excellent, but I don't like it on the signatures... It seems to resize signature images that don't actually need resizing... :unsure:

If you highlight a linked piece of text and hit the 'Insert Link' button, it'll unlink it for you. Conversly, you could click on the 'Remove Formatting' button.

Does that only work in the RTE editor? If so, I guess that makes sense... Although the plus symbol doesn't lead me to believe that.... Nor does the icon itself really. maybe use something more traditonal, like this:

link_icon.jpg

or this:

ic-link.gif

But fits with the design. I can honestly say that if I didn't know what that icon was and looked at it, I wouldn't know what it is.

Also... Something bugs me about the new quote icon. I don't know how to place it... But something "feels" wrong about it.

Can you put Quick Access back, but keep the buttons on the editor? Maybe have an option to display it or not?

These are the changes since Beta 2.

• Editor reworked to do away with the 'Insert Special' menu and image / code, etc buttons added to the toolbar

What happened to the much nicer window that opened when you for example inserted a link. The old JavaScript prompt is really ugly.

ipb22b1linkbc0.th.png

Matt,
Thanks for getting rid of the "Insert Images" dropdown, it is much appreciated. Now please, as others have suggested remove the smilie dropdown also which would make room for the subscript, etc dropdown to also be removed and replace with individual icons also - please :)
My forum (3000 members strong) is 99% retired folks and they sure would have had a problem with the way the editor was. I also mentioned before that I would like to see the dropdown removed from the attachment section also as it is confusing also, what was wrong with the way it was before so a member could actually see the uploaded file? Now they will have to "look" for it and may think it never uploaded.
Thanks for listening

Make emoticons box taller to match the box it's in so it looks nicer. I don't care what else you do. The emotion drop down other people actually like. I can see it's a bit redundant and you dont need redundancy with emotions. The other options... I can see where you would need it because people do get confused, especially those who are new to the computer.

OK now lot of you are just being down right picky. First everyone doesn't like the drop down menus, and you wanted it back to the way it was. Now you want it back to the way it was. I'm sorry but this is just being down right picky.

First off every forum out there has used this style, its standard. I will agree that the tool tips need to be fixed. Its not just a FireFox 2 problem. I'm using 1.5 and even in IE it doesn't work as it should. The buttons could be a bit bigger so in order to see what they are.

I just hope this does not lead to there being two versions of the text editor like there is of the profile view. I would hate to have 2.2 full of two versions of everything. Matt, do the text editor the way you want to. If you want to go back to the drop downs do so. If you like how it is now, stay with it. Because your not going to make anyone happy on this. Plain and simple when the final version is release anything you don't like you can change yourself/recode, etc, etc. No need to force IPS to put in two versions of everything.

OK now lot of you are just being down right picky. First everyone doesn't like the drop down menus, and you wanted it back to the way it was. Now you want it back to the way it was. I'm sorry but this is just being down right picky.

First off every forum out there has used this style, its standard. I will agree that the tool tips need to be fixed. Its not just a FireFox 2 problem. I'm using 1.5 and even in IE it doesn't work as it should. The buttons could be a bit bigger so in order to see what they are.

I just hope this does not lead to there being two versions of the text editor like there is of the profile view. I would hate to have 2.2 full of two versions of everything. Matt, do the text editor the way you want to. If you want to go back to the drop downs do so. If you like how it is now, stay with it. Because your not going to make anyone happy on this. Plain and simple when the final version is release anything you don't like you can change yourself/recode, etc, etc. No need to force IPS to put in two versions of everything.

Yes :)! I mean... I really didn't like that everyone was complaining about the editor... It was fine. So if Matt likes it the way it is now, I'm happy (as long as the emoticon box is straightened out a bit). If he liked it with the drop downs and changed it back, I'm happy with that as well.

My only concern right now is the link icon. It's a tad confusing... Before with the drop downs it didn't matter because you had text next to it telling you what it was... But someone new looking at just the icon might be confused until they hover over it... So I would suggest maybe something like a "chain". I dunno... It really doesn't matter I guess. Once someone get's used to it, it really doesn't matter.

I think the new editor is great anyway... Huge improvement over the old one.

Only five things left I would like to see addressed before final:

- Forward option in pm (confusing)
- Linked image that get's resized (in bug tracker as confirmed)
- Add a <#LANG_ID#> tag so they can be used in macro's (for other languages. one line addition only)
- Something with the setlocale thing... But that can wait till 3.0 if it's too complicated. It would be "nice". Would allow those that distribute language packs to set the date to use a particular language inside of lang_global.php
- Inbox and Sent box in PM box "built in" rather than virtual folders so language bits can be used

Anything else is rather trivial and I can live with it until 3.0 :)

Thank your for making the changes, some stuff that needs to be addressed:

1) remove dropdown smilie box
2) increase height of the emoticons on the left
3) + and - signs are better than the up and down arrows to increase the posting area. why isn't it placed under the posting area? :huh: it's more logical as many pointed out.
4) highlighted color on icon when mouse is over it should be darker, minor change :D
5) the RTE icon should be placed in a more prominent position and of bigger size compared to the other buttons. Not many will know what it is.
6) clicking on a smilie still highlights the smilie text, have to click off to continue writing.

It was the same way in 2.1, though.

Room for improvements are always there :) As already mentioned by Luke, the drop down described what each image did and hence was really easy. With images, you need to hover to get the description.

The fact that 'anonymous' users appear in the profile's "last visited" is a bug that's just been fixed.

(...)

The best we can do is offer a good 'base' package and allow it to be customized through PHP, HTML and CSS code as easily as possible.

Thanx Matt for fixing the anonymous/profile thing. Excellent work! :thumbsup:

With regard to the editor, I agree it is the best thing to make it as easy as possible to customize the editor. Anyhow, if I resize my browser width, the post screen decreases too, but at a certain width the post screen shows up below the side panel / smiley panel instead of next to it. Looks as something you can fix for sure! :)

P.S. one little thing, I don't think the smiley-dropdown menu should have a scrollbar...

Archived