This new Text Editor

Guest Petrescu

:D I like Gmail's text editor. IPB should borrow some features from there.When will Spell Check be available?

Is spell check really necessary? It's available in IE via the IESpell plug-in, and Firefox 2.0 will have inline spell checking by default.

Geeez, I have many ideas for this rich text editor. I think "auto save" would be nice. :thumbsup: This would be a nifty feature!!

Auto-save would be a very nice feature, since sometimes the text editor glitches and your post isn't always submitted properly.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One benefit of having the emoticons to the left of the text editor is the text area is more of a realistic length, to that of topic view. You get more of an idea of how many lines you've typed before leaving a break.

Yes that is my biggest complaint with the width is the loss of how your post will look now. But other than that I like the new changes....I think!?

Yes that is my biggest complaint with the width is the loss of how your post will look now. But other than that I like the new changes....I think!?

But is there a distinct advantage of knowing in advance how your post will look? And if you really need to know, that's why there is the "Preview Post" button.

But is there a distinct advantage of knowing in advance how your post will look? And if you really need to know, that's why there is the "Preview Post" button.

Awww yes but the preview post button does not take into effect all the other stuff like an avatar and post stats and takes up the same width as the big wide white
text field rendering the preview post kinda useless. The advantage is seeing how your paragraphs look in real time or close to it with a more normal size text field.

Awww yes but the preview post button does not take into effect all the other stuff like an avatar and post stats and takes up the same width as the big wide white

text field rendering the preview post kinda useless. The advantage is seeing how your paragraphs look in real time or close to it with a more normal size text field.

Then perhaps "Preview Post" should be fixed up to display one's Avatar, etc.

Is spell check really necessary? It's available in IE via the IESpell plug-in, and

Firefox 2.0 will have inline spell checking by default.

Auto-save would be a very nice feature, since sometimes the text editor glitches and your post isn't always submitted properly.

Which I've had to disable by default. You want to have some fun, let it try to auto check the advanced css textarea. >_< :lol:

Is spell check really necessary? It's available in IE via the IESpell plug-in, and Firefox 2.0 will have inline spell checking by default.Auto-save would be a very nice feature, since sometimes the text editor glitches and your post isn't always submitted properly.

I thought the new spell check DID use IESpell.

• Management

One of the biggest complaints we had about the old editor was that it was too cluttered. We addressed this by moving some of the less used options into the drop down. The RTE is also modular - you can write your own "Insert Special..." modules and have them automatically appear in the list. This alone should appeal to modders.

Also, the items that appear in the "Insert Special..." list are items that don't have a 'state'. The bold, underline, (etc) and justification options all have a 'state' so when you put your cursor in a block of text, they highlight making it easy to undo formatting. Moving them into the "Insert Special..." list would remove that function.

Give it a few days to get used to it and then see how you feel. Personally, I think that it's a huge step up in terms of efficiency and definitely reduces clutter anad makes it less intimitating for day to day posting.

The width can be adjusted very easily in the skin. It's set to 100% - so all you need to do is add a DIV wrapper around it and set the width there. It's only one template bit to edit. Personally, I like the width, it makes posting long posts much easier.

Also, don't forget, the new editor allows you to switch between standard and RTE modes via ajax and allows you to actually edit the HTML when using the RTE.

We're evaluating some options, including having emoticons on either a floating palette or to the side.

One of the biggest complaints we had about the old editor was that it was too cluttered. We addressed this by moving some of the less used options into the drop down. The RTE is also modular - you can write your own "Insert Special..." modules and have them automatically appear in the list. This alone should appeal to modders.

Also, the items that appear in the "Insert Special..." list are items that don't have a 'state'. The bold, underline, (etc) and justification options all have a 'state' so when you put your cursor in a block of text, they highlight making it easy to undo formatting. Moving them into the "Insert Special..." list would remove that function.

Give it a few days to get used to it and then see how you feel. Personally, I think that it's a huge step up in terms of efficiency and definitely reduces clutter anad makes it less intimitating for day to day posting.

The width can be adjusted very easily in the skin. It's set to 100% - so all you need to do is add a DIV wrapper around it and set the width there. It's only one template bit to edit. Personally, I like the width, it makes posting long posts much easier.

Also, don't forget, the new editor allows you to switch between standard and RTE modes via ajax and allows you to actually edit the HTML when using the RTE.

I agree with this. I do find the new RTE is much better, especially as it finally works with Opera, which is my browser of choice.

• Management

I'm going to add a button or link (not sure how) that will make the smilies appear to the left like they used to. This option will be saved with a cookie so the next time you visit your RTE it'll automatically open.

I think this is the best 'medium' between those who want a nice clean large uncluttered text area and those who are addicted to emoticons. :)

Would it be possible to have it so that we could customise what buttons are available because my boardies use the quote, image buttons all the time so all this layout has done for them is add extra clicks. It's not clutter if you use the buttons. Do people genuinely not quote or post images on other forums?? In fact link is under there too. It's just all the stuff we need taking extra steps to reach.

I agree with the folk who said they can't upgrade if it remains this way. My boardies will lynch me. :( I'm gutted because I love the rest of it.

I think your idea is great, Matt. If I understand it properly.

I personally love the editor. The only thing I am disappointed in is I am sure my spoiler modification won't work in it without being modified and its author hasn't supported it in months. Hopefully I can figure out myself how to put it in again because it is necessary for my particular sites.

So would it be a lot of work for me to be able to put it back the way it was before? (I know HTML but can't do much with PHP or anything)

This post screen feels like a jumped up version of the quick reply box now. :( It would have been better if the quick reply had these dropdown options then the main post window displayed the way it used to with the full range of options.

Archived