This new Text Editor

Guest Petrescu

I'm really frustrated that the QUOTE, CODE, INSERT EMAIL, INSERT HYPERLINK, and IMAGE buttons got removed and placed in the drop down menu. Instead, you guys added align left, center, right buttons. I think not many will use those align buttons compared to the features on the insert special item dropdown menu. Great logic there, the least used features have their own buttons. Is there a lack of room to add those buttons or what? :( the text editor for 2.1 is so much better and more intuitive. :ermm:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, there is too much of confusion in new text editor w/

Undo, Redo, Resize smaller, resize larger..etc

Idk, but not liking the new text editor much...doesn't seems so "Organized" anymore. The looks is not that cool either or even IPS style anymore...like lupin84 said..."post screen looks like it's been ripped from some small free forum" it's seems that way....anyways..ma 2cent..

I tend to agree. Trying to reduce clutter is an admirable goal, but we should put good UI practices above the tendency for minimalism.

Keep discreet buttons for all important and often-used features, if you want to use drop-down menus for _some_ items, make very sure that the items in the list are rarely used and that the organization and name of the drop-down list makes sense.

I really think IPS should pay to bring in some useability experts like the Gallery project did.

I went with IPB because I liked the 2.0 and 2.1 UI much better than vB's. However, IPB is starting to move closer and closer to vB's confusing and clunky UI.

I tend to agree. Trying to reduce clutter is an admirable goal, but we should put good UI practices above the tendency for minimalism.

Very true. I think they're on the right track but could give some more thought as to what goes into dropdown menus. For instance, there are eight buttons for indent, alignment, and list functions. These are used less often than most features so dropdowns would be appropriate. Individual buttons for Quote, Code, Link, and Image would be preferable to the dropdowns or Quick Access pane IMHO.

Very true. I think they're on the right track but could give some more thought as to what goes into dropdown menus. For instance, there are eight buttons for indent, alignment, and list functions. These are used less often than most features so dropdowns would be appropriate. Individual buttons for Quote, Code, Link, and Image would be preferable to the dropdowns or Quick Access pane IMHO.

I can't agree more! Why do the most used functions go in the dropdowns.. many members are used to those buttons in sight. How many people actually use indent? Increase/decrease font? Those icons don't look too attractive as well, I prefer rectangular buttons like in 2.1 :whistle:

The text editor I hope gets redone. I've asked around some of my friends and show them screenshots from here so they can see the text editor first hand. These are real uses, not tech people. The real people who use this software. Most of them link the look but worry. When asked about he insert special items menu, I told them it had the same stuff as the quick access. The one question I got why? They also asked about the little smiley guy in the drop down.

Lot of of them agree that a drop down may work for a instant messenger window (its generally small) where a forum has lot more room to work with.

Here is what I would do, in fact once final comes out and if any one of these chances aren't done I'm going to do it myself.

1. Smile drop down. Lot of people agree its a bad idea. You can simple use the toggle button to show them. Why put more load on the page with loading the same smiles twice.
2. The quick access and Insert Special items menu. What's wrong with the old style? That work perfect. Every forum software uses it. Its standard. Keep it simple. You can still use the button styles you have going. The only drop downs should be the forts and sizes.
3. The +/- should be on the bottom not the top. I've never once been typing a long post and then needed more room and said "and I wish that +/- thing was on top. Personally I think the buttons are silly and just add more javascript to the page that really isn't needed. If your typing a long post and go beyond the height of the box scroll bars appear and you can scroll. I hardly never use those buttons on 2.1. I think its a feature lot of users could do with out.
4. Able to have more then one folder of smiles. While this is a bit unrelated to the text box itself. I think if either some sort of switch was added to allow us as admins to sort our smiles into folders and be able to add more then one folder to a skin over just one.
5. The pop-up for smiles. Long over due for a face lift. I myself just redid on my forums. The use for the smile code isn't needed. most of my visitors agree they could are less what the code is. Most forums don't both to use the codes anyways. The window should also be wider not taller, sites with lots of smiles should see them in rows next to each other not all right now.
6. The list buttons. I guess you guys must have perfect seeing eyes as I can't tell which is wish. When you hover over it says "Insert list" Well one is unordered list and one is a order list. Is it that hard to get one to say ordered list and one to say unordered list?
7. There is a problem with the hover overs when you hover over one icon it shows the little yellow title box. If you move to another icon the yellow box never shows up for the icon. You have to click in the text box to get it to show up again. I though this was just me. I tested this on 3 different computers using different browsers and versions and the same thing happen. Could be a bug.
8. The image and link pop-up is slow and sometimes cause FireFox and IE to crash, I hope this is fixed. As others have said the menu should be longer as there is lot of waste space.
10. Unlink text. What is this for? I've heard some say that some times when a link will keep going and going. I've had this problem in 2.1. However I have see other RTE that don't have this problem. I think over making a hack, you should find the problem and fix it. I'm sure its a simple js error. Being that to make a link a window pops up it should put a close tag over the selected text.

The only good things I find about this text box, even after the small changes IPS has seem to have done is the adding the side panel to hide (good for pms and small screens) The overall style and color is easy on the eyes. The srcolling of smiles is a nice touch. I think if the quick access was remove and let the smiles come down about half way it will look good.

Just my input on the new text box. This is coming from real users not myself. I want my users to be happen and lot of the new features I'm going to have to remove or change to meet my visitors standards. In the case of the text editor, this can be change now and save myself and lots of other webmasters from having to answer questions to users and/or changing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived