This new Text Editor

Guest Petrescu

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with it? Yes, it is rather wide. Yes, something could be done about the emoticons. I think improvements can be made, but there's no reason to call the present horrid.

No, as I said above, I love the new look of the Text Editor, and they have done a great job with IP.Board 2.2! :) However, we are just providing constructive feedback so IPS can improve in the long run.

Seems fine to me.

To be honest though I'm biased because I'm going to skin my board to a narrower fixed width, so having the editor as wide as possible is a good thing as the editing area obviously gets smaller on lower resolutions.

Things are no less intuitive to my mind. I might panic for about half a second about where the attachments bit has gone, but the "Insert Special Item" title in the dropdown of the same name kind of gives you a clue.

If they'd separated out everything in that menu into buttons it'd just be more clutter.

The only thing I really agree with anyone on is the spacing of various eelements in terms fo buttons in the posting area. Sure;y it would make more sense to have them all together and just centre the lot?

I for one love the extra space for posting, it'll be especially handy for very long posts, like announcements, etc. It could perhaps do to be a touch smaller, but nothing major.

Also, I'd imagine it's going to be significantly easier to skin than the current one. Trying to get the current one to look good in a fixed width skin is ridiculously hard ( as i've found out multiple times in recent weeks! ).

I don't know. This is actually what I wanted. Everything seem very organized. Yes, I think it can be skinned to LOOK like the old editor but I think this is a step forward in terms of usability.

I agree. :) I greatly prefer the new rich-text editor to the old one. :D

What

is

soconfusing

about

it?

:lol:

If someone posted like that consistantly on my site I'd not only ban them, I'd track them down and kick them in the jaw. :lol:

I don't know, I think it's very ugly, but I've never really liked the IPB editor. I think the only one I really liked was 2.0 (never used 1.3), because you could alt + key for certain codes. :D

I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the quick reply box. :-"

Well, I do believe that it is a tad bit too wide.

However, Im embracing the new editor because the old one was HIDEOUS because of its many issues... You should all have seen what it did with cursors... rather distateful and never knew where I was actually typing... They've corrected those issues along with a few other issues I was having with the old editor in this one so I think the update was good. Hopefully it will be easier to skin this time around.

I like it... it doesnt have the javascript bugs the other one had. I.e. the cursor placement was always ambiguous and you had no idea where your new text would be inserted. It will take getting used to...my only objection is the smilies. I dunno... I just, maybe it's too new a placement for me quite yet. I'd feel better if the smilie dropdown had several columns.

I don't like all the dropdowns either. Especially the smileys. My board has ALOT of smileys, and this will just screw them all up. I may not even bother installing the upgrade, my members will not be very happy with me if I do.

I agree.

Hello !

Generally, people can't stand change and it takes some time to adapt oneself to novelty... This prevents you to see what the advantages are.

As for me, I'm very very much pleased with this new editor. I just took the time to understand how it works and I do like it now. It didn't take long for me to find it's a good tool.

I don't understand why people say it looks like something of a kiddies forum. It really looks like a professional forum : all necessary options and well organised.

I like the button to switch between standard and Rich Text Editor, the possibility to resize the text box to a larger size. But the copy, paste and cut buttons have disappeared ?

I don't have many smiles on my board, so I'm happy to see there is now a smilie dropdown. But I understand very well the problem when there are many smilies....

I do like the large size of the text box : it's something I've been waiting for for a long time ! It's now much easier to write articles : we do need space to write ! And finally we have it ! :)

Well... In the end, I do like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is just my point of view.

Will there be a possibility to write maths in the future ? Or an easy way to include latex to the board (some kind of ready made bbcode for mimetex or latex, for example) ? I would like something like this :
http://www.maths-express.com/mimetex/

Thank you !

I don't like this new text editor!! It's too wide and the emoticons shouldn't have been on a drop down menu. What if members wants to add many smilies to the post? They would have to click 2x more than they would have to compared to the old style. Also, I like to use the TAB key to press the submit button. Is there any way you could make it a single tab instead of 2 presses to go straight to the submit button? And, why isn't the Add reply button greyed out once you click on it?

I don't like this new text editor!! It's too wide and the emoticons shouldn't have been on a drop down menu. What if members wants to add many smilies to the post? They would have to click 2x more than they would have to compared to the old style. Also, I like to use the TAB key to press the submit button. Is there any way you could make it a single tab instead of 2 presses to go straight to the submit button? And, why isn't the Add reply button greyed out once you click on it?

This board is set to 98% width. Obviously, if you reduce the overall width of your board, as I imagine most people would (90% seems to be the average,) the text editor will shrink, too.

I never even noticed those were missing. But didn't that only affect the vertical height of the text box, and not the horizontal width?

Yes, only vertical heigh. you can't change the horizontal length. The +/- is more noticeable than the up and down arrow on the top right

Yes, only vertical heigh. you can't change the horizontal length. The +/- is more noticeable than the up and down arrow on the top right

Well, assuming the new text editor is just a bunch of JavaScript files, can't it be edited fairly easily to act more like the text editor of the 2.1.x days? Also, has anyone else but me noticed that the new text editor now works flawlessly with Opera 9? Finally, RTE with Opera is here! :thumbsup:

Archived