Is there a list of the functionality that is removed in V5 compared to V4?

Jimi Wikman

I was so excited for V5, but now that is dampened a bit since the changes comes with removal of functionality I have been relying on, so instead of finding that out one by one, is there a list of features that are not available in V5 so we can evaluate the impact on our current setup?

From what I have discovered so far, these are removed:

• Star Ratings (but not in Pages, but we can no longer edit after we add a value) - we must use reviews for any form of ratings.
  • Database Relations - No way to customize the link output anymore.

What else is gone in V5?

Not hating this, just want to make sure I can take a proper decision since these are kind of important for some of the features I currently have on my website and if they are not there in V5, then I might have to rethink my entire setup and design to work around that.

14 minutes ago, Jimi Wikman said:

but not in Pages, but we can no longer edit after we add a value

This is actually a bug, as mentioned in your topic

14 minutes ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Database Relations - No way to customize the link output anymore.

We're still actually going through this on your topic. Its worth going through that first before ascertaining you have something missing 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Marc said:

Sorry to hear this. Of course, we take security seriously, and in todays world of AI, giving half the game away is not good practice at all. Security will always win over preference

The biggest social media websites like Instagram, twitter and reddit are not arsed and allow username login so don't understand why Invision are forcing it

Edited by marklcfc

10 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

The biggest social media websites like Instagram, twitter and reddit are not arsed and allow username login so don't understand why Invision are forcing it

• Twitter - Solves this a different way. If you log into another device, it will actually force you to confirm via email. So you still have to know the email to log in. 
  • Instagram - Also solves this the same way as above

I dont actually have a login for reddit to check.

It is worth noting however, that being the biggest, does not make you correct. I mean, if you want to go off size, just ask yourself how many times you see "If you get a message off me, its not me, I've been hacked!".

So I guess on this one, not only will security always win over preference, it will also always win over just doing what someone else does.

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

if you want to go off size, just ask yourself how many times you see "If you get a message off me, its not me, I've been hacked!".

Instagram actually has a service you can pay now for account recovery assistance if your account gets hacked, that is how much of an issue it has become.

Reddit has username and email available. I would guess they are soon going to get rid of username.

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

We added a deprecation notice to the ACP for this in the November 2022 release.

You said you'd provide some sort of tool to help with the change but never did. I had to pay for the email confirmation app instead which I've had on the site for over a year but I'm sure the majority just click yes to get rid of the notice.

With active accounts dating back to 2004, quite alot will be using outdated email addresses and won't be able to log in once username login is no longer possible

Edited by marklcfc

• Management
3 hours ago, marklcfc said:

You said you'd provide some sort of tool to help with the change but never did

I don't recall this, but it is possible although I'm struggling to think what tool we would provide. You wouldn't want to do an email blast, the risk of high bounce rates and increase in volume will just blacklist your email server.

On 9/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, David N. said:
  • Revamped horizontal navigation no longer has a submenu displayed below the main menu, and when the main item is a dropdown, you can no longer make the main item a link (clicking it just opens the dropdown)

yeah, I noticed that too. I liked it better the way it was before.

Edited by Omri Amos

On 9/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, Jimi Wikman said:

Database Relations - No way to customize the link output anymore.

Suggestion to IPS: Move "basicRelationship" into the Pages Template section and make it selectable per database. It was always a bit weird to have that set up as a theme template. Not only would it solve the problem that Jimi and I are having and allow us to convert existing installations to 5.x, it would actually be a cleaner solution (separate Pages and theme templates) and make things easier, as we wouldn’t have to fill that template with tons of IF statements to only apply to certain databases. 

If you really want to show off, add some nice stock templates yourself. Not just the existing CSV type, but “grid with record-image” and things like that.