I would like to automatically upload external images to server

Posted (edited)

I'm currently still running Invision Community 4.7 selfhosted.
If someone posts an external image (inserts an image from an external URL) i would like to automatically upload it to my server.
I not only need this for the forum but also (especially) the pages application.

I have seen this on other sites. (Xenforo for example)

Is this possible? How?
If so is there an option in the ACP or a Plugin?

Edited by Michael_

Many moons ago, IPB had an image proxy to handle situations where users would try to link to HTTP images on a HTTPS site. It did something similar but was removed a long time back. As this does not exist today, don’t forget to post the ask in the feedback forum so it’s not lost in the Support Sea.  🙂 

I don't think an image proxy will make its way back into the software and reasons why it was originally developed do not pertain to the topic here. Just due to concerns around the functionality. However, you're more than welcome to provide any suggestion in our Feedback forum.

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

I don't think an image proxy will make its way back into the software and reasons why it was originally developed do not pertain to the topic here. Just due to concerns around the functionality. However, you're more than welcome to provide any suggestion in our Feedback forum.

Well you could make it optional so that users would have to manually turn it on.

Anyway since it's not currently implemented.
How much would i be looking at for custom development ballpark?

15 minutes ago, Michael_ said:

Well you could make it optional so that users would have to manually turn it on.

As much as we would love to be everything for everyone and accomplishing features everyone wants, that's just not possible with limited resources of our team. With that, we tend to focus more on features everyone needs or will continue to project our software/industry further. However, it does not mean that our product team may take your idea and change it up.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

You would need to find a 3rd party resource developer and ask them.  IPS does not offer this service.

I understand that but i would still like to know what i would have to expect to pay for a plugin like that BALLPARK 🙂

Edited by Michael_

10 minutes ago, Michael_ said:

I understand that but i would still like to know what i would have to expect to pay for a plugin like that BALLPARK 🙂

You will want to contact individual providers as it may change. This is not something we will provide you.

Posted (edited)

@Michael_ -- I would suggest: @teraßyte @Adriano Faria @DawPi @Martin A. - This folks have provided consistent support to all their user bases so far and i am sure their are other developers as well. 

You don't want to be in a situation where you have plugin for V4 series and no upgrade path for V5. 

One of the reasons, I personally avoid custom addons and requesting for native features for key items like this. However, I still use addons from above developers and few others.

I have bunch of broken topics because of missing images. So we normally suggest our users to use Gallery or Downloads depending on their file size/type vs 3rd party. 

Edited by AlexJ

Posted (edited)

This is certainly doable, but it would rely on hooks (unavailable in v5).

If you plan on updating to it quickly, it's probably best to wait and see how we'd be able to handle it there (if we can at all?). There should be ways to do it still, but until we see the code... 🙄

Edited by teraßyte

11 minutes ago, DawPi said:

I may have something like this but it will work only on the IPS4.

Normal upload:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Upload via paste url to the external image:

Could contain: Page, Text, File

And the settings:

Could contain: File, Webpage, Text, Page

That looks to be exactly what i want. Does this also work for the pages application? Can it be tested? Is this available for free or how much would it cost? (Feel free to send me a pm)

10 hours ago, Michael_ said:

Does this also work for the pages application?

Pretty much for any "content" app:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Can it be tested?

I can send you my dev board credentials for this.

or how much would it cost? (Feel free to send me a pm)

Send me a ticket at my support site https://support.ipslink.pl and we'll discuss it (it's a paid resource).