forum refresh if multiple tabs open

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Hi, wondering if anyone here experience when opening multiple browser tabs and leave the browser for a while let say an hour you leave it and comes back, and when you open any of the tabs to check the forum, it just refreshes on its own, is that a browser issue or the forum software?

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I don't believe it's the forum software.  When I see this happen, it's because the browser has reclaimed memory.  It does not just happen on IPB, so if I was a bettin' man, I would say it was a function of the browser/OS and most likely a function of the browser trying to manage resource utilization.  

Take a look at:

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/204546987/why-chrome-tabs-refresh-automatically-when-i-go-to-another-tab-and-how-do-i-stop-it?hl=en

https://workspacetips.io/tips/chrome/how-to-stop-chrome-from-refreshing-your-tabs/

Edited by Randy Calvert

Posted (edited)

Hello guys, well apparently, some members including my CEO experience writing a post or replying to topic and the page it self refreshes, this happens over the last two weeks, where we updated IPB into the latest core v4.7.15 along with these updates

plugin - wordpress sso from 1.2.2 to version 1.2.3
app - chatbox from v2.7.7 to v2.8.3
app - classified from v2.3.5 to v2.4.0 beta 6

We are still investigating the issue

Edited by Allan - TheTechTribe

I’m confused here… you said in the first post the page refresh occurs if you go away for a long period of time and come back or switch away from the tab for an extended period of time. Now you’re saying it’s happening as they’re writing a post or replying. 

In they start typing a post and go away for some period of time… even if the page refreshes IPB will auto store the content.  It also happens if you navigate away from the page without submitting the message.  I just literally tested this on my own site and on this forum and it works. I completely navigated away from this page (clicking the activity stream and then clicking this thread again).  When I came back, my post was restored along with a message at the bottom explaining the content was auto restored. 

Well, members start sending ticket, and I asked for their experience, and some of them they say that when they are replying to a post then it refresh the page.

It also happens to our CEO when he wrote a partial outage of our forum, it happens when our CEO try to edit the topic our CEO did, and it refresh

Here are some of the screenshot topic or replies

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage, Person

Could contain: Page, Text, Person

Could contain: Text, Page

And list goes on, just this three member

I've not seen anyone on my community complain about this and there have not been others on the support site here reporting a similar activity.  So there's a pretty good chance it's not core causing the issue for you.  What happens when you disable chatbox?  Does it still happen?  I personally would start there as SSO should not have anything to do with interacting with your pages once logged in.  The classifieds app generally is interacted only when using the application itself.  The chatbox however can be loaded on almost any page.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

8 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

I've not seen anyone on my community complain about this and there have not been others on the support site here reporting a similar activity.  So there's a pretty good chance it's not core causing the issue for you.  What happens when you disable chatbox?  Does it still happen?  I personally would start there as SSO should not have anything to do with interacting with your pages once logged in.  The classifieds app generally is interacted only when using the application itself.  The chatbox however can be loaded on almost any page.

Right now, it happens to me, and recorded the network log file (HAR), only two ajax request trigger this refresh, the notification and the chatbox, so yeah, we will disable this chatbox first and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not something I have seen happen on anyones site. I know that doesnt help you much, but it does point to the fact its very likely 3rd party

I believe so Marc, as its been four hours and no random refresh and redirect happens after I disable this Chatbox+

Will continue to monitor until tomorrow, and if no one experience this, then we can conclude this is the ChatBox and I can contact the author to check it.

Likewise, I don't see how this would be related to the WordPress SSO. It will redirect you to WordPress in some circumstances if your session has expired but that shouldn't be very often if you're using the site.

You can transfer your WordPress SSO Marketplace purchase to my website, this gives you access to downloads, billing and technical support all in one place.

If your purchase is expired or nearing expiry, a renewal invoice will be generated for you.

14 hours ago, stoo2000 said:

Likewise, I don't see how this would be related to the WordPress SSO. It will redirect you to WordPress in some circumstances if your session has expired but that shouldn't be very often if you're using the site.

You can transfer your WordPress SSO Marketplace purchase to my website, this gives you access to downloads, billing and technical support all in one place.

If your purchase is expired or nearing expiry, a renewal invoice will be generated for you.

Hello, are you the author? Yes, we have already an account, however when I try to create a support ticket, seems that page is broken, however, I believe the root cause was the chatbox as there was no complain from any members to this date.

Hello. JP here, from the thetechtribe. 

For the continuity of the investigation, can some IPBoard dev help me out to understand what is the purpose of the following snippet.
It is the ajax response in the uploads/javascript_global/root_library.js?v=37062bb1bf1709922374

$(document).ajaxSend(function(event, request, settings) {
                if (!_.isUndefined(settings) && settings.showLoading === true) {
                    if (!$('#elAjaxLoading').length) {
                        getContainer().append(templates.render('core.general.ajax'));
                    }
                    count++;
                    ips.utils.anim.go('fadeIn fast', $('#elAjaxLoading'));
                }
            }).ajaxComplete(function(event, request, settings) {
                if (!_.isUndefined(settings) && settings.showLoading === true) {
                    count--;
                    if (count === 0) {
                        ips.utils.anim.go('fadeOut fast', $('#elAjaxLoading'));
                    }
                }
                if (!_.isUndefined(settings) && !settings.bypassRedirect) {
                    var responseJson = null;
                    if (!_.isUndefined(request.responseJSON) && !_.isUndefined(request.responseJSON.redirect)) {
                        responseJson = request.responseJSON;
                    } else if (!_.isUndefined(request.responseText)) {
                        try {
                            var jsonResponse = $.parseJSON(request.responseText);
                            if (jsonResponse && !_.isUndefined(jsonResponse.redirect)) {
                                responseJson = jsonResponse;
                            }
                        } catch (err) {}
                    }
                    if (responseJson) {
                        if (!_.isUndefined(responseJson.message) && responseJson.message != '') {
                            ips.utils.cookie.set('flmsg', responseJson.message);
                        }
                        if (responseJson.redirect.match(/#/)) {
                            window.location.href = responseJson.redirect;
                            window.location.reload();
                        } else {
                            window.location = responseJson.redirect;
                        }
                    }
                }
                ips.utils.cookie.init();
            });

The last part in the if(responseJson) block, the condition will always end in a reload/redirect. 

I've being trying to catch it but is not easy by the randomness of the request and the issue.

Thanks! 

Hi, Allan again here.

So two things are happening,

one is that the IPB suddenly refresh on its own in Edge or Chrome, and we notice this ajax request
Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

Also when I try to reply in a post, it redirect me to this page, im posting three URL redirects here

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&usingEditor=1

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&getUploader=topic_comment_21759

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?usingEditor=1&csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&getUploader=topic_comment_21759

Any idea?

On 3/8/2024 at 1:44 AM, Allan - TheTechTribe said:

Hello, are you the author? Yes, we have already an account, however when I try to create a support ticket, seems that page is broken, however, I believe the root cause was the chatbox as there was no complain from any members to this date.

Yes. Ah, you must have tried at there was an issue with the beta. It has been updated now, please open a ticket if you need assistance.

4 hours ago, Allan - TheTechTribe said:

Hi, Allan again here.

So two things are happening,

one is that the IPB suddenly refresh on its own in Edge or Chrome, and we notice this ajax request
Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

Also when I try to reply in a post, it redirect me to this page, im posting three URL redirects here

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&usingEditor=1

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&getUploader=topic_comment_21759

https://******/community/topic/21759-the-tribal-portal-is-refreshing-randomly/page/2/?usingEditor=1&csrfKey=e5443c34943fc25dbd7b19f3b55d4021&getUploader=topic_comment_21759

Any idea?

Background AJAX requests are totally normal but you shouldn't get redirected to them.