Anonymous Login

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Do you know who that person is?

Yes, when I saw we had an anon member i clicked on whose online and could see the member with a small eye icon next to his name, I've checked his account and his member group and he doesn't have permission to log in anon

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything particular with this account which would allow them to login anonymously. Creating an account myself, I am also unable to hide my online status. The administrator group is able to do so but that is because you allow it. Please let us know if you see this again. I am wondering if the account was only partially created at the time you viewed this, so we logged it as anonymous. 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:01 PM, Jim M said:

I am wondering if the account was only partially created at the time you viewed this, so we logged it as anonymous. 

He registered on Feb 9th and has made 33 posts prior to him appearing in the logged in as anon list, he's also not been back since

• 2 weeks later...

This happened on my community yesterday. A regular user was marked as logged in anonymously on the /online list, despite only Administrators being allowed to do so.

Double checked, all of the groups the user belongs to (primary or secondary) have "Can login anonymously?" to Disallow.

Not sure if it's a /online list display glitch or the user really was anonymous, but it really did happen - got a screenshot as a proof.

Today the user appears normally, not Anonymous.

Edited by Eleeist

Yes, he didn't do anything special, nor he knew he was anonymous. I logged in on his account and check account settings, but as expected there is no option to become anonymous for him.

I, too, have seen this on my website occasionally. Members displayed and logged in anonymously. I chose not to seek support for it due to the harsh frustration you, the IPS support, put its self-hosting customers through when I reported issues with your software. You always try to blame every issue I have on my hosting provider or third-party resources. 

Yes, this issue of anonymous login by non-anonymous members is real. 

Edited by beats23

3 hours ago, beats23 said:

I, too, have seen this on my website occasionally. Members displayed and logged in anonymously. I chose not to seek support for it due to the harsh frustration you, the IPS support, put its self-hosting customers through when I reported issues with your software. You always try to blame every issue I have on my hosting provider or third-party resources. 

Yes, this issue of anonymous login by non-anonymous members is real. 

We are looking into this, and trying to ascertain information. Unfortunately, while I understand its frustrating, if we cant replicate an issue the only option we have is to explore what other items may be causing the issue. 

In terms of the hosting provider/third party issues, the reason we explore that first of all, is that these are very often the cause. I assure you, it's of no interest to us in any way to prolong the support experience.

So taking a look at this, Im unable to find any common thing between your sites, and unfortunately Im unable to replicate the issue in any way. Of course, its obviously happening, but doesnt really change the fact we cant replicate to see the issue in action. If any of you manage to find a way to replicate and can give me step by step how to do so, please let me know and I can then get this resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, beats23 said:

One person is now logged in as anonymous on my site.

Could contain: Text, Face, Head, Person

May be best to reach out to the user and ask their steps of logging in or registering to get to that point.

22 minutes ago, beats23 said:

As stated by others. The user log in normal. The user does not have the option to long on anonymously. Your software has bug. 

The user however is managing to do so, and we are struggling to replicate. We are therefore getting as much information as possible to see if we can get some replication steps to fix said bug.