Why are some topic titles bold and others normal in the Notifications list?

Why are some topic titles bold and others normal in the Notifications list (mysite.com/notifications/)? 

I originally thought bold titles were the ones I had not read, but I see many unread topic titles that are not bold? In fact they are not bold in the Notifications list but they are bold in the forum's topic list. 

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

These would be read/unread notifications, rather than read/unread topics 🙂 

Got it, makes sense.

But then again, there were unread notifications that were not bold. After 8 hours away from computers/phones, I checked my notifications and found some 1 hour old notifications that were not bold, even though they were new to me and I had never read them. 

Let me have another look tomorrow morning and I can send you screenshots if that helps. 

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

Never read the topics, or never seen the notifications?

Neither (it was during nighttime). 

The first thing I did in the morning was click the notification bell and click the link "View all notifications". I ended up with a list that was seemingly random half bold half normal topic titles during that 8 hour range when I was asleep. 

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

These would be read/unread notifications, rather than read/unread topics 🙂 

Ok so after a few tests I can confirm that this is not how it works here. 

If I view my notifications, I can see that one is bold and it is an unread topic. It doesn't matter how many times I open the notification pop-up menu or refresh the notifications page, that notification stays bold until I read the topic (by going to the forum, and reading the topic) - then it's no longer bold. 

So it seems like the bold characters on the Notification page (not pop-up menu) indicate a topic that was unread? 

2 hours ago, David N. said:

Ok so after a few tests I can confirm that this is not how it works here. 

If I view my notifications, I can see that one is bold and it is an unread topic. It doesn't matter how many times I open the notification pop-up menu or refresh the notifications page, that notification stays bold until I read the topic (by going to the forum, and reading the topic) - then it's no longer bold. 

So it seems like the bold characters on the Notification page (not pop-up menu) indicate a topic that was unread? 

Open the notifications section and refresh the page. You will see they are all read

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Open the notifications section and refresh the page. You will see they are all read

It sounds like you may be talking about the notification pop-up menu you get to by clicking the bell icon? 

I am talking about the page mysite.com/notifications/ here. 

Edited by David N.

5 minutes ago, David N. said:

It sounds like you may be talking about the notification pop-up menu you get to by clicking the bell icon? 

I am talking about the page mysite.com/notifications/ here. 

Yes, so those are also whether or not you have read notifications, not whether or not the item its notifying you about is read. I say click on the bell icon, as that is how you would see the notifications. Then refresh the page you mention there, and all the items there will not be bold

2 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Then refresh the page you mention there, and all the items there will not be bold

Ok, so that's not my experience. The items in mysite.com/notifications/ stay bold no matter how many time I click the bell icon or refresh that page. Once I've read the topic, that topic title is no longer bold on the page mysite.com/notifications/

Edited by David N.