Popular Now block not working?

Clover13

Pretty sure I have it configured correctly, but can't get it to show anything.

Plenty of posts on my site, I've tried it as a sidebar block, as a page block, as a subforum block.  Nothing ever appears.

Current settings, 2 posts in the last 9999 minutes.

Is there something else I'm missing to get it working?

Very strange.  It seems to be working now, but I changed nothing since I set things up last night.  I even cleared the cache thinking maybe something cache related was blocking it.  Are there some tasks that need to run to calculate the popular posts that may have taken some time to populate the block?

P.S.  I added a block to the main landing page, which does show now.

Edited by Clover13

30 minutes ago, Jim M said:

It would, yes. However, if you have any server caching or other caching, it will not clear that.

Only using the IPS cache and CF caching.  I cleared CF for that page, but still no update.  I suspect at some point, the block will be refreshed, but not sure where that is being held back from a clear/purge right now.

41 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Only using the IPS cache and CF caching.  I cleared CF for that page, but still no update.  I suspect at some point, the block will be refreshed, but not sure where that is being held back from a clear/purge right now.

The cache setting that you're using is at 1 hour. That is a little high for caching blocks. Generally, especially with rotating content like the Popular Topics block, it may be better to do 15 minutes or so.

5 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The cache setting that you're using is at 1 hour. That is a little high for caching blocks. Generally, especially with rotating content like the Popular Topics block, it may be better to do 15 minutes or so.

Right, but it's been way longer than 1 hour and it hasn't refreshed yet.  Also the clear cache should override that setting anyway.  Same with last night when I was testing, it wasn't until this morning that I saw the popular posts become visible, which means it wasn't "immediate" when it was first created.  Something must be delayed in processing and populating the block even when I first added it to a given page.

5 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Right, but it's been way longer than 1 hour and it hasn't refreshed yet.  Also the clear cache should override that setting anyway.  Same with last night when I was testing, it wasn't until this morning that I saw the popular posts become visible, which means it wasn't "immediate" when it was first created.  Something must be delayed in processing and populating the block even when I first added it to a given page.

Do you currently have a topic with 10 posts in the last 6 hours? What page do you have this block on? I can then verify.

53 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Do you currently have a topic with 10 posts in the last 6 hours? What page do you have this block on? I can then verify.

It's on the main landing page for the site at the top of the page.  There are some topics that have that but the current block is showing some topics that have only 1 reply which I don't understand as it was never set to 1 reply, the min it was set to was 2 at one point.

Edited by Clover13

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Are you looking at this while logged in or logged out?

While logged in.

Looks like some updates to the 5 topics being displayed have happened since last night, however there is one of the 5 that has only 1 reply.  No idea why it's in there, but it has stayed in there since the block was made.

Going to ACP -> Support, it looks like your server is having issues with AJAX requests there and resulting in a 500 Internal Server Error. That could be causing the cache clear to not be functional. 

Keep in mind that the "Popular Now" block counts posts, not replies. Therefore, there are 2 posts in that topic. The original topic starting post and the first reply.

17 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Going to ACP -> Support, it looks like your server is having issues with AJAX requests there and resulting in a 500 Internal Server Error. That could be causing the cache clear to not be functional. 

Keep in mind that the "Popular Now" block counts posts, not replies. Therefore, there are 2 posts in that topic. The original topic starting post and the first reply.

Where are you seeing these AJAX errors?  I don't see anything in the System Logs (other than the recent errors you created).