Banned Member Actions/Settings

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hi,

It's been over 10 years or probably more since I had to ban a member from one of my communities and I can't remember where you configure it in terms of the actions to take. An AdminCP search shows no results apart from the Ban Setting filters (IP, Email etc).

I recently banned a member and I see this in their profile when I look at it whilst logged in, but that doesn't show to anyone else:

Could contain: Text

I also see this in the Admin Dashboard:

Could contain: Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware

However, I noticed that members are still replying to the banned members' existing content. I realised that for other members, there is nothing to point out that the member is banned, either by their post content or in their profile. Their member group is unchanged (I recall bans became flags some time ago), and all their reputation points and badges and awards are still as they were before they were banned.

Could contain: Logo

Where do I change what happens when someone is banned (a member, not a spammer)?

Many thanks!

Edited by The Old Man

• The Old Man changed the title to Banned Member Actions/Settings
5 hours ago, The Old Man said:

Where do I change what happens when someone is banned (a member, not a spammer)?

There is nothing you can change by default.

If you want, I made a modification that adds some extra options for banned members:

With it, you can block access to banned profiles and you can also automatically move them to a new group to highlight their banned status.

Another question!

I plan to set our ex-members to 'banned' so that they can no longer have the rights of paying members but will change the language to something more polite e.g. 'account inactive'

However, once a member is banned they have no way to sign out of the site (that I can see). They could, of course, sign in on a different device, use private browsing, or delete cookies to gain guest access.

However, is there a link that I can insert on the 'account inactive/banned' page so that they can exit.

Thanks

Simon

2 hours ago, 700newtons said:

Another question!

I plan to set our ex-members to 'banned' so that they can no longer have the rights of paying members but will change the language to something more polite e.g. 'account inactive'

However, once a member is banned they have no way to sign out of the site (that I can see). They could, of course, sign in on a different device, use private browsing, or delete cookies to gain guest access.

However, is there a link that I can insert on the 'account inactive/banned' page so that they can exit.

Thanks

Simon

What if they want to become members again?

1 hour ago, CheersnGears said:

What if they want to become members again?

Ah - they would be given a email address/phone number to arrange membership payment.

Its not an ideal model, but unless we do this then ex-club members will still have many of the rights that regular club members do (i.e. access to Clubs, notifications about events etc, ability to message other members).

I'd be interested in other suggestions - we are just migrating a site over from Drupal, so these things are in our mind.

Simon

25 minutes ago, 700newtons said:

Ah - they would be given a email address/phone number to arrange membership payment.

Its not an ideal model, but unless we do this then ex-club members will still have many of the rights that regular club members do (i.e. access to Clubs, notifications about events etc, ability to message other members).

I'd be interested in other suggestions - we are just migrating a site over from Drupal, so these things are in our mind.

Simon

So, rather than banning them, move them to a new group called "Inactive", and strip out the rights to do much of anything on your site. You can then make a block in Pages or a notice that only shows to that group that their membership has expired.  If you're using Commerce, you can have your membership packages in there and direct them to it for payment, and Commerce will automagically bump them back to the membership level you specify. 

Using Commerce, this whole process can be automatic. When they expire, it will bump them down to Inactive and when they pay, it will bump them back up.  You can manually process this too for your old memberships that you're carrying over.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - an automated process is definitely the way to go.

At the moment we are stuck with a separate site for our membership fees, with a payment system which is tricky to extract ourselves from. However, we will be looking at this for the next step.

One thing with your suggestion...

We run plan to run many regional Clubs. Although you can choose not to display Clubs to certain groups, it seems that once a member is in there there is no way to automatically remove them even if their membership is downgraded. Ideally we'd want non members to have the same rights as a guest, but it doesn't seem possible to downgrade a group rights quite this far.

Simon

1 hour ago, 700newtons said:

We run plan to run many regional Clubs. Although you can choose not to display Clubs to certain groups, it seems that once a member is in there there is no way to automatically remove them even if their membership is downgraded. Ideally we'd want non members to have the same rights as a guest, but it doesn't seem possible to downgrade a group rights quite this far.

Not through banning, no. A ban means they cannot see the site entirely. If you are just moving group instead, the onus would be on yourself to remove any subscription they may have manually. 

7 hours ago, 700newtons said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - an automated process is definitely the way to go.

At the moment we are stuck with a separate site for our membership fees, with a payment system which is tricky to extract ourselves from. However, we will be looking at this for the next step.

One thing with your suggestion...

Simon

Yeah, not automatically. You would need to set up an alert, maybe through Zapier or Make for when a member got downgraded and then you'd need to remove them from the club manually.  I agree there should be some sort of Permission set for Clubs.