Problem with membership and expiration

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello,

I've got a problem with a product that expired. The system changed the member's user group after expiration. Then a few days layer the payment went through but the user group was not updated.

See attachment. The payment was done on the 19th February. It should have been done the 9th of February. 

PayPal automated payment went through but ACP did not get that payment. What was the problem here? 

Member= brose2019

If you log in ACP you will be able to see the expired invoice. But in the attachment you will also see the payment I got from PayPal.

How can I fix issue? And now that the user paid, how can I restablish the renewals and have the invoice appeared as paid? Because he paid for it 😞

thanks

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page

• Solution

Does the user have a PayPal Billing Agreement (aka Subscription) setup and was that how it was paid? Sounds like that is what you are saying but it is quite odd that the payment would be so far delayed. However, if the invoice expired before payment was collected, this would be correct. As the invoice that they attempted to pay is no longer able to be paid. This is another reason why PayPal Billing Agreements are not the best as the two kind of happen separately.

You will want to issue your invoices longer or allow them to not expire, if this continues to happen.

Currently, if you collected the payment in PayPal, you will need to modify the package in Commerce to reflect what happened.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Currently, if you collected the payment in PayPal, you will need to modify the package in Commerce to reflect what happened.

What do you mean with this?

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Does the user have a PayPal Billing Agreement (aka Subscription) setup and was that how it was paid?

I don't know. I mean. I set up PayPal integration on ACP. It will have created whatever the integration is programmed to do, won't it?

5 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

What do you mean with this?

You would need to modify the purchased package by going to ACP > Members > open the user > Commerce tab > click the pencil on the purchased package there. You will see options to change their renewal date, etc… to whatever you want to allow it to match what they paid for. 

6 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

don't know. I mean. I set up PayPal integration on ACP. It will have created whatever the integration is programmed to do, won't it?

You can opt to use Billing Agreements or force a user to do one-time payment so no, that would be in your control. 

7 hours ago, Jim M said:

You would need to modify the purchased package by going to ACP > Members > open the user > Commerce tab > click the pencil on the purchased package there. You will see options to change their renewal date, etc… to whatever you want to allow it to match what they paid for. 

Sorry, but I can't find the option you are referring to 😞 There is no Commerce tab in the user. There is the Member and Customer View. Under the customer view, there are four invoices, the fifth is missing (the one we are talking about). There is no pencil in any of those invoices. The only pencil icon available is the Expired tab and there is nothing to edit there (no dates, nothing). So I don't know what I should do to fix this issue 😞

See screenshot. So, I am still lost.

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

7 hours ago, Jim M said:

You can opt to use Billing Agreements or force a user to do one-time payment so no, that would be in your control. 

Where is that option, please?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, OptimusBain said:

I heard nothing about this issue or the ticket created in February. 

This was responded to back in February (Feb 27th 2023 to be exact), and actually shows as having been viewed at some point.  For clarity this is the response

Hi,

If you see this, all you need to do is click 'check' or 'restart' to get it back on track.

PayPal doesn't seem to be that great at taking payments on time, it should (even with delays) retry 5 days after the expected date and then only try once more before it fails. I will extend this to 11 days of trying so it encompasses that 5 + 5 days. This change will not be in 4.7.8, but will be in a following release.

The change was then made within 4.7.9