How to save copied photos to my IPS community

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

I need to copy some tutorials from my Joomla site to my Invision forum. The tutorials contain photos that I want to be saved to my Invision forum folder instead of just being linked. There use to be an option in the ACP to do that but I no longer see it. Can anyone anyone tell me where I can find setting or a way to do that?

BTW, the Joomla site and the IPS forum are on the same server. Just in different folders.

There is no way to automatically move the content without breaking existing links to it.  

Since you mention the Joomla site and forum are on the same server, it means you're self-hosted.  This means you could use FTP to download all of the images from the old folder and then upload into a new folder on your server.  

If you do that, you'll still have to fix all references to that content however (both old and new).

Yes, my community is self hosted. I have all the photos on my home computer. I was wanting to avoid all the hassle of having to do the modification like you describe. There use to be an option in IPS to save linked (copied) photos in a post directly to an IPS folder. There must still be some way to make that happen.

Thanks for your reply!

You would either need to link to the existing content, or you would need to add each individual image.  Now...  you can drag/drop multiple files into a post.  

For example, the two images below I bulk added by clicking them both and dragging at the same time into this window.  

Could contain: Number, Text, Symbol, Rug, Alphabet Could contain: Cushion, Pillow, Shark, Animal, Fish, Sea Life

Edited by Randy Calvert

• Solution

You are probably thinking of the image proxy function. That was indeed removed. It only served a temporary purpose to not brake the page with non-SSL images by importing them into the system. 

You could copy the old HTML into the new posts and either do some find&replace each time or import it all, move the images and then do some UPDATE MySQL queries to correct the links. 

Personally, I would probably go the long way – and have done that several times while moving my content across multiple forums systems. Linked images aren’t really proper images in the IPS suite. Only “attachments” are. And therefore they are future proof. You could change your storage location and they will be moved automatically. You could switch to cloud and it will continue to work. You can change settings and the images will be recalculated … So, it might be worth it to import each image manually. 

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, there is no simple way in which to achieve this, which is what you are looking for. The only correct way to do so would be to manually replace them by editing and uploading them to the attachment system.

As opentype pointed out there, the only proper way for these to be part of the suite is an attachment, so doing it this way would be the correct way. While you could potentially employ a 3rd party to change the locations in the database, you are simply kicking the issue down the road to come up again at a later date

17 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, there is no simple way in which to achieve this, which is what you are looking for. The only correct way to do so would be to manually replace them by editing and uploading them to the attachment system.

As opentype pointed out there, the only proper way for these to be part of the suite is an attachment, so doing it this way would be the correct way. While you could potentially employ a 3rd party to change the locations in the database, you are simply kicking the issue down the road to come up again at a later date

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping for an easy way out but it appears the only way to do it right is is replace the linked images with uploaded attachments. I appreciate all the comments I've received.