RSS failure crashes ACP.

So, I spent the last 24 hours combing thru everything on my site. I have a private server so I couldn't exactly ask for help... 

I switched to PHP 8 a few maybe 5 days ago and I have been fixing things ever since, I thought I finally had everything all fixed until all of a sudden, my ACP just wouldn't load. i was getting a 500 error. So, I was digging around and for the life of me, I just couldn't find what was wrong. I was undoing edits, I was updating everything i could think of, i disabled every 3rd party app and plugin, I restored a backup... nothing was fixing it. So as a last resort, this morning, I switched back to PGP 7.4. Sure, enough it loaded. I have about 25 different RSS imports and I noticed the RSS task locked up, it was a blog RSS repost. I have all my RSS running thru another RSS app to help fix goofy RSS services so Invision's RSS importer can read them easier, less errors. long story short, I disabled the bad RSS import, restarted the task, and I thought to myself, "What if that was it? So, I switched back to PHP 8.0, and everything works perfect again...

Granted, I realize some RSS is just complete poopie in design, I can't fix that, and I expect some errors to happen, BUT to hit so hard it crashed my ACP? I would love for the staff to look into this... Here is the RSS XML. I suggest the community to NOT test this... https://rss.app/feeds/5hiBpefvdcVTaMP6.xml

I use RSS.APP service, it is very handy and cheap, works really well, and Invision RSS Import works really well with it.

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, its not clear from what you have put above. Are you doing anything custom on the Invision side of things, or you just mean you are creating the feed using an app?

I have nothing custom there. It is the standard RSS Importer option with nothing extra. 

What is the 500 Internal Server Error that you are encountering? 

You have a significant number of third-party add-ons installed. PHP 8 will still execute things in the directory, so some clients have discovered that even with these third-party add-ons disabled, they are still causing issues. Analyzing the error log will determine what exactly the issue is here and what it is related to.

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

What is the 500 Internal Server Error that you are encountering? 

You have a significant number of third-party add-ons installed. PHP 8 will still execute things in the directory, so some clients have discovered that even with these third-party add-ons disabled, they are still causing issues. Analyzing the error log will determine what exactly the issue is here and what it is related to.

I did not realize the PHP still functioned when disabled. I will go thru my disabled apps and uninstall the ones I know I am not using. You are right that I have a high number of 3rd party apps. I think close to half are outdated and disabled, but not removed. I will do that today.

here is the 500 error.

Also the error log was coming up empty, that is what was so strange about it. We get errors like members failing their OAuth2 logins and random stuff like that, I also have a testing page where I build stuff and google catches it and sometimes a user finds it and I get an error there, but rarely do I ever have any real errors.

Could contain: Text

"Also the error log was coming up empty"...

To be sure we're on the same page, on a normal Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP server, the log you need to check is the Apache Error Log, not the PHP error log.

In that Apache log you'd see the 500 errors, with the IP Address that triggered it, and also the underlying error which triggered the 500 Error.

Those are the entries you or your host need to find. If the solution is not obvious from the error log, please post a couple of those entries (you can obscure any sensitive information) so we can see what was the underlying error.

(But if your Apache Error Log really is empty, you'd need to contact your Host to see where 500 Errors are recorded; they have to be logged somewhere.)

@Mark H you are correct. I am not very savvy with the server side of things, I have a friend that helps me there. I showed him what you sent and he gave me this, I hope this is what you were asking for.

[Sun Oct 16 08:21:04.053884 2022] [php:error] [pid 54313] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:55162] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use "parent" when current class scope has no parent in /home/admin/web/schaken-mods.com/public_html/system/Theme/Theme.php(2703) : eval()'d code on line 31, referer: https://schaken-mods.com/admin/?app=core&module=system&controller=login&error=&ref=

This would happen when we would try to login. As soon as we went back to PHP 7.4 we could log in fine, and the only thing I touched was the RSS imports, a bad XML was being read from someone else's RSS and made the RSS importer task stop. Once I fixed it by disabling that import, we switched back to PHP 8.0 and everything worked well again. This could very well be some dumb mistake on my end, but if I don't post it here for you professionals to dumb it down for me, then I will never know what I am doing wrong. If I am lucky and actually found a bug, then hopefully I helped someone else out as well by making you all aware, as you all always fix stuff very fast.