Unable to Upgrade - Can't Find License Key

Go to solution Solved by RocketSMS,

I was unable to upgrade.  This is the first time it came up with the message unable to find license key.  So I went to IPS website client area, copied my license key, applied it.  The same message see attached.

The worst part is that it locked my upgrade with now way to back out and my website was shut down.  So I had to do a restore.

Attached is my end state.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RocketSMS said:

if there are issues there seems to be no way to stop the upgrade and re-enable the website.

Sorry to hear you had issues, usually things like this are resolved very quickly and are great examples why you should always keep your license URL up to date (submit a request for HTTPS and www changes to our contact us request form for accounts, we'll do that for you 🙂 ) . The problem is that the system has to apply a lot of these checks before the upgrade happens but after files get applied, the license key may be a good example that we can look further at in putting before, I will bring this up internally.

However, in the future, if you are in an issue like this where you are stuck and have not ran the upgrader. You can apply your backup of files that you took prior to the upgrade and that will take you out of upgrade mode. If you have ran the upgrader and are stuck, you would need to restore a full backup (database and files).

I had not many any changes to my website since the last upgrade.  It has always been https, but all of a sudden it mattered with the license check.   My only way out of a locked website was a full restore, which took about an hour.

Then my next install after the https was added to the domain name with my license key it downloaded the files again, went into the system check.  It stated that the recommend PHP was 8.x and it would let me proceed (I was 7.4), but I should upgrade soon (same message as the last couple of upgrades).  But it was the only red mark and it wouldn’t let me proceed or discontinue the upgrade and I was locked in maintenance mode again.  I did a full site restore again.  I upgraded to PHP 8.1 and then the update proceeded without hiccups. 

One thought is that the systems check should be done before downloading files and there is a way to discontinue the upgrade. Currently there is only one button, “Continue.”  If it’s not happy, clicking continue does nothing.    Was there a “discontinue” button before?  I could have sworn you could back out of an upgrade after the systems checks before. 

2 minutes ago, RocketSMS said:

One thought is that the systems check should be done before downloading files and there is a way to discontinue the upgrade. Currently there is only one button, “Continue.”  If it’s not happy, clicking continue does nothing.    Was there a “discontinue” button before?  I could have sworn you could back out of an upgrade after the systems checks before. 

This is not the case, unfortunately. The reason for this is that the system needs to know what it has to check, and this is in the new file set. Therefore until the new file set is present the system doesnt know what it will need

Hey Mark.

I understand why it might seem like hard work.  But I am in the software business.  It would not be rocket science to keep a database of these needs so they can be known ahead of time for various configurations and consulted by your tools.  Having an update process hang and have no way to exit, no advice on how to move forward, etc. is below the quality I expect from you guys.  Having to manually close the page and being left in maintenance mode is painful.

I used love your update process and showed it off to my colleagues at work.  Now, not so much.  Please ask the team to strive for better and return to the previous standard.  Thanks.

PS - I'm still a supporter and my comments are meant strictly as motivation to get it into the roadmap.