MariaDB version

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

My forum is currently running on v5.5.5-10.3.35-MariaDB-cll-lve I have upgraded my test forum to 4.7.2.1 and all seems to be fine so is this the recommended version of MariaDB?

Currently running PHP 7.4 and IPS v4.5 on live board and will change to PHP 8 after the upgrade

Anything else I should be aware of going from 4.5 to 4.7 (went from 4.6 to 4.7 on test board with no issues)

Thanks

Edited by Genestoy

• Solution

We do not provide specific compatible MariaDB instances but so long as that MariaDB instance is compatible with MySQL 5.6 for Invision Community version 4.5 and 4.7 you should be fine. For Invision Community 4.7, you may want to upgrade that though as 4.7 is compatible with MySQL 8. For my test instance, I run MariaDB 10.6.9 on our latest release and that works.

• 1 year later...

Now we are in 2024 could you please let me know what the latest version of MariaDB is supported for Invision Community?

It appears MariaDB I'm running is very old at 10.3 and in reviewing what is the current latest version of MariaDB is 11.3 but I don't want to upgrade to that if its going to kill all my IPB sites.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Jim M said:

We do not provide specific compatible MariaDB instances but so long as that MariaDB instance is compatible with MySQL 5.6 for Invision Community version 4.5 and 4.7 you should be fine. For Invision Community 4.7, you may want to upgrade that though as 4.7 is compatible with MySQL 8. For my test instance, I run MariaDB 10.6.9 on our latest release and that works.

This would still rein true today 🙂 

Just now, Jim M said:

This would still rein true today 🙂 

Okay, so you still run MariaDB 10.6.9?  I just want to do this MariaDB upgrade once so trying to get to the latest working version.  I know that comment was made in 2022 which is why I was asking.

Just now, Cowboy Denny said:

Okay, so you still run MariaDB 10.6.9?  I just want to do this MariaDB upgrade once so trying to get to the latest working version.  I know that comment was made in 2022 which is why I was asking.

You would just need a MySQL 8 compatible version of MariaDB. I'm afraid, this was given as an example rather than a guarantee.

If it helps, I've seen people use MariaDB 10.6~10.11 with 4.7 (and 10.11 is the latest 10.x branch release). I haven't seen anyone using MariaDB 11.x yet, though.

If you want to avoid issues, I'd only upgrade up to 10.11 for now. 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...