Images from AWS file storage method not shown from mobile devices following 4.7.2 upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Team,

I have a storage method defined for AWS that has a custom URL (cdn.mydomain.com).  All of the storage types are set to use this method and it's been in use for over a year with no problem.  Following the upgrade to 4.7.2, I'm having an issue where IMAGES are not displayed properly, but only on mobile devices.  

CSS, JS, fonts, etc all display properly.  But any image is showing up broken.  

Using Chrome, I was able to inspect the URL of the broken images....  it's showing as:

https://www.mydomain.com//cdn.mydomain.com/path_to_file 

This is obviously not correct and should simply be https://cdn.domain.com.

The custom URL was originally "//cdn.mydomain.com" which was set by IPS when I first entered just "cdn.domain.com" at first configuration.  I thought it might be a bug in 4.7.2, so I manually set the custom URL to "https://cdn.mydomain.com".  However this does not seem to have corrected the problem.  

I have confirmed:

• This happens with all 3rd party applications/plugins disabled.
  • This happens on the default theme (you can switch to "Original IPB" to confirm.
  • This happens when using the support tool to disable everything.
  • This happens when Cloudflare is 100% disabled and sent directly to origin.  
  • This happens after rebuilding the system cache from the ACP (multiple times).  

Again...  when viewing it from a laptop/desktop or tablet (iPad Pro), it displays fine.  Even if I resize a laptop to shrink down to the correct size it is correct.  I've confirmed this does happen on an iPhone 13 Pro Max and an iPad mini both from Safari and Chrome.  I've flushed cache on the devices as well.

I'm out of ideas on what to try next.  I've confirmed my ACP info is correct.  (I've confirmed the user/password and security question answers can be found in the notes section) and SFTP/SSH access should be enabled with the credentials confirmed.  (Please use one of the IPS IP addresses provided to get past SSH firewall restrictions.)

This does indeed sound odd as they are actually different views of the same date (if broken on one it should be broken on the other). Do you have an example link I can take a look at? I can then see whats going on, and if I cannot resolve myself, we can get this escalated for you (please ensure all access detail is up to date of course)

40 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

It’s sitewide. The logo and avatars are missing everywhere on mobile for example.

The ability to not post is happening almost sitewide. There have been about 6 posts overnight when there are typically almost 100. 

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

3 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

Marc...  are you looking at the right package?  (I have 2 for the same domain.  It should be for the license that ends in 5526).  I have literally just re-entered the info again to be 100% on it.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

Got it. The wrong one was selected there. While I'm looking, you want me to wipe the URL from the other one so you know which to select?

Im seeing what I expected I would see there. The theme itself an what it shows is the same on both. Could I ask you to clear your browser cache and see what is showing then? Failing that, I would need to know what browser and OS you are using (sending you pic via PM so you can see what I mean)

35 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Got it. The wrong one was selected there. While I'm looking, you want me to wipe the URL from the other one so you know which to select?

Yes please!

35 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im seeing what I expected I would see there. The theme itself an what it shows is the same on both. Could I ask you to clear your browser cache and see what is showing then? Failing that, I would need to know what browser and OS you are using (sending you pic via PM so you can see what I mean)

It appears to be cleared out now.  The only issue remaining is not being able to post.  For example:

Could contain: Page, Text, Word

Could you please try to post something in the "Ask a Moderator" for me please to see what I mean?

Edited by Randy Calvert

Is your CDN endpoint server (AWS) not routed and cached through CF (i.e. I have a CNAME for my cdn.* to point to the AWS S3 location)?  When you disable CF, what happens to your CDN routing?  Or are you controlling that on your server side?

Edited by Clover13

P.S.  I'm only asking because I saw this behavior on mobile only that suddenly arose yesterday and it was directly related to a CF configuration issue of a beta feature.  May not be your issue at all, but figured I'd throw it out there as I'm not clear on how your CDN links were working without CF unless you weren't routing your CDN address through CF.

I went ahead and reset the editor configuration back to default.  That appears to have cleared it out.  No clue why it was not working when everything else was disabled earlier from the support center, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  

It's working.  So case closed. 😄 

(By the way, if you end up in the DC or Ft Lauderdale area... I owe you a beverage of the alcoholic persuasion.)

16 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

I went ahead and reset the editor configuration back to default.  That appears to have cleared it out.  No clue why it was not working when everything else was disabled earlier from the support center, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  

It's working.  So case closed. 😄 

(By the way, if you end up in the DC or Ft Lauderdale area... I owe you a beverage of the alcoholic persuasion.)

Glad to hear its sorted for you. May well take you up on that beer one day. Around 4000 miles from you at present, so may be a while 😄