Jump to content

Odd behavior after 4.7.1 upgrade


Recommended Posts

I recently updated to 4.7.1 after the site being dormant for almost a year. I tried disabling all customizations, including deleting an outdated theme and also cleared system cache from the support menu. When I clicked on my avatar in the top right, `#elUserLink_menu` got appended to the URL bar but nothing happened (no popups and also a lot of JS errors in console) Clearing my browser cache seems to have fixed the popup menu not appearing but clicking AdminCP from the dropdown just opens a new "about: blank" tab in Chrome. I have tried downloading my IPS suite and rsync'd it over into my html directory, cleared cache again but no luck. I am still getting a few JavaScript errors and the site is taking around 15 seconds to load. As part of the 4.7.1 upgrade, I also switched over to PHP 8.1 (from 7.4) and enabled CRON tasks. I haven't touched this software much in the past couple of years and don't know where to start. Help is appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Want to comment that your server seems to be running extremely slow at the moment. Even pages in the ACP and login pages, which are not remotely resource intensive, are taking several seconds to load.

Your maintenance tasks are not running via your setup CRON so I set those back to traffic.

Right now, you have Javascript errors which are preventing anything that runs Javascript to run. You will want to keep all third party add-ons disabled and ensure that the following folders are writable on your server:

  • applications
  • datastore
  • plugins
  • uploads and all sub-folders of uploads

Once that is done, please clear cache in ACP -> Support. If you continue to have issues, please provide us FTP access in the client area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Making those directories writable seems to have sped up the site. Looks like I had messed up ownership when using rsync for the manual update.

The JS errors still remain despite all customizations being disabled. I have updated the access credentials. Thank you for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like there are still issues in terms of permissions. Please check that your uploads directory and all its subdirectories are writable in the first instance. 

The other thing that can cause issues is if you are using suPHP/suExec and have files that are set to 0666, these can be blocked from being used on the server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm running php-fpm 8.1 with nginx on Debian 10. Both nginx and php-fpm are configured to run as www-data. Permissions are as follow:

$ ls -alhd /var/www
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8 Aug 15  2019 /var/www

$ ls -alhd /var/www/html
drwxrwxr-x 1 root www-data 818 Aug 27 18:16 /var/www/html

$ ls -alh /var/www/html/<REDACTED>.com
total 104K
drwxrwxr-x 1 root     www-data  410 Sep  3 15:21 .
drwxrwxr-x 1 root     www-data  818 Aug 27 18:16 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  180 Aug 22 04:07 404error.php
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data   68 Aug 22 04:07 admin
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data   32 Aug 22 04:07 api
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data   98 Aug 27 18:15 applications
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data    0 Aug 22 04:07 conf_global.dist.php
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  400 Jul 25  2020 conf_global.php
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  15K Aug 22 04:07 Credits.txt
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data  10K Sep  3 15:16 datastore
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data 1.4K Aug 22 04:07 error.php
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data 1.2K Jul 16  2019 favicon.ico
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  137 Oct  4  2018 .htpasswd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  435 Aug 22 04:07 index.php
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  57K Aug 27 18:15 init.php
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data  114 Jul  7  2019 loading
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data   64 Aug 22 04:07 oauth
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data   38 Aug 28 15:23 plugins
-rw-rw-r-- 1 www-data www-data  723 Aug 22 04:07 sitemap.php
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data  502 Aug 27 18:16 system
drwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data   10 Aug 20  2020 themes
drwxrwxr-x 1 www-data www-data 1.4K Aug 29 20:01 uploads


`/var/www/html/<REDACTED>.com` is `root:www-data` because of the sftp chroot I had set up for support (it was `www-data:www-data` before). I have su'd as www-data and can confirm read/write access to all directories listed in Jim's post. 

I feel like the permissions are all correct. Is there a way for me to check permissions to these directories within the AdminCP or similar?


Edit: I am not using SELinux either

Edited by sirspider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the bump but I cannot seem to be able to edit my previous post anymore.

It turns out the Steam integration plugin I had was still causing some errors despite it being disabled so I went ahead and deleted both disabled plugins I had, no luck.

I tried creating a new theme in case the default one was broken. I could not get past the "save" button. When I went back, there were many new themes with a generic name. I tried deleting all of them, including the default theme. I am now getting an error due to no themes existing at all. I don't know why or how I was able to do that.

Enabling dev mode seems to work and I was able to create a new theme with it enabled. While it's enabled, I also don't see any of the `ips is not defined` / `jQuery is not defined` JavaScript errors. They come back as soon as I disable dev mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No problem. Glad to hear that resolved the issues for you. It will likely be because it will have removed a lot of the cached data and rebuilt it during the upgrade (thus changing permissions to whatever the default would be). I would suggest if you are using rsync, just make sure its replicating permissions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...