Missing Images

Last night an admin of my site said there was a message about an invalid license key, I went and checked in the AdminCP and the issue seemed to go away, but now it looks like any thumbnails are messed up. What is caussing this to happen?

Could contain: Text, Page, Menu, File

When visiting your community, these are resulting a 404 error on your server. This would indicate that the images are no longer present. This would indicate that there is an issue on the hosting side of things and someone either removed these images on the server or moved them elsewhere. You would need to investigate this and if you have any issues, I advise contacting your hosting provider.

Can anyone take a look at my community for me, I am afraid this may be the death of my 15 year old site. I am battling covid right now, havent eaten in days.

I had my community backing up weekly. But those backups are corrupted as well. It is almost like hackers got in to my community years ago, offloaded my avatars and gallery images to their own hosting, then pulled the carpet on me the other night, leaving me with tons of broken images.

Wait, god it sucks to troubleshoot this while dealing with covid and no food.

Maybe a configuration file got changed, So lets look at my Avatar....

The website is looking for....

https://www.retromags.com/uploads/profile/photo-1.png

but that location does not exist, I mean it used to like 5 years ago, but I just remembered its real location....

https://www.retromags.com/rmg_fs/profile_photos/profile/photo-1.png

No one would have changed this, but damn if it is not pointing to the old location. So what is the correct proceedure for pointing these data stores back to the correct location?

20 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

Wait, god it sucks to troubleshoot this while dealing with covid and no food.

Maybe a configuration file got changed, So lets look at my Avatar....

The website is looking for....

https://www.retromags.com/uploads/profile/photo-1.png

but that location does not exist, I mean it used to like 5 years ago, but I just remembered its real location....

https://www.retromags.com/rmg_fs/profile_photos/profile/photo-1.png

No one would have changed this, but damn if it is not pointing to the old location. So what is the correct proceedure for pointing these data stores back to the correct location?

The first URL you provided looks accurate to the default configuration of the software. However, if you modified this, you would manage that from ACP -> System -> Files -> Storage Settings. 

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

The first URL you provided looks accurate to the default configuration of the software. However, if you modified this, you would manage that from ACP -> System -> Files -> Storage Settings. 

Yeah, but I modified this setting like 2-4 years ago. Which is why I am utterly perplexed. Why did the setting revert? Only 2 other people have the ability to change this setting, which I know they would not play with this.

And its not even just 1 setting, they would have had to go thru 7 different storage locations and change it to the default, and even if they did, the system would have tried to move items back to that new location. Are we sure this is not a bug?

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

So I was able to FIX my issue, changing the storage locations back to what they SHOULD have been. But again, HOW did they change? I just looked in my Administrator logs, and I only see my changes to FIX them, how did they flip back to the original values, which they had not been for years?

If it were a user mistake, I should have a log entry of the storage changing. Also if the location changes, the system should start moving them to the new location. Something is odd here.

3 hours ago, Phillyman said:

So I was able to FIX my issue, changing the storage locations back to what they SHOULD have been. But again, HOW did they change? I just looked in my Administrator logs, and I only see my changes to FIX them, how did they flip back to the original values, which they had not been for years?

If it were a user mistake, I should have a log entry of the storage changing. Also if the location changes, the system should start moving them to the new location. Something is odd here.

I had similar happen twice 

30 minutes ago, sound said:

I had similar happen twice 

Thank you, I had a feeling this was a bug and now this confirms it. Down to the same issue where it started with my license key being reported as expired/missing.

Hopefully IPB can look into logs and see what the heck is going on. Not normal behavior for the community software. I have been running it since 2005 and never had something like this blow up.

7 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im not sure where the above leads you to believe this was confirmed as a bug here, as that was not the case. Do you have any 3rd party storage systems as mentioned in the other topic? There is nothing within the software that would actively change anything at all in storage settings

What is a Third Party Storage System?

Are you asking me if I have any Third Party Modifications that have their own entries in the Storage System? I do run the modification IPB Tutorials, which has some entries that are set to the default.

Or are you asking me if I run a Third Party Storage like Amazon S3?

All my storage locations are pointed to local locations on my hosting and have been for years.

7 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

All my storage locations are pointed to local locations on my hosting and have been for years.

A third party storage system would be like S3, external storage accessed via FTP, or anything on your local system which connects outwards. If you utilize simple local storage on your server, that would not be third party.

Did your hosting provider perhaps restore your database recently? I'm afraid, the software itself would not be able to change this on it's own.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

A third party storage system would be like S3, external storage accessed via FTP, or anything on your local system which connects outwards. If you utilize simple local storage on your server, that would not be third party.

Did your hosting provider perhaps restore your database recently? I'm afraid, the software itself would not be able to change this on it's own.

A long time ago I tried the option to offload a storage system to another server via FTP creds. It is not currently being utilized, but the entries do still exist. But as far as I am concerned they are legacy and not active. Just to be safe I removed them.

I guess anything is possible with my hosting company, they could have moved or restored something. But I dont think so.

What I will say is one thing did stick out to me from that post.....

Is there anything running on your server at time of this happening? (e.g. server/database backup, database cleanup tasks, etc...)

I do have two cron jobs that are doing mysqldumps on timed intervals. The first one dumps a specific cms_custom_database every 6 hours to a backup file, the other one dumps the entire IPB database nightly. But these have been in place for years. Not sure if this is the best or recommended method for automating IPB backups. But maybe someone was trying to edit the database at the same time it was backing up and crashed the system. Again not sure, odd that I have been doing this for over 5 years and it becomes an issue now. Maybe?

12 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

A long time ago I tried the option to offload a storage system to another server via FTP creds. It is not currently being utilized, but the entries do still exist. But as far as I am concerned they are legacy and not active. Just to be safe I removed them.

I guess anything is possible with my hosting company, they could have moved or restored something. But I dont think so.

What I will say is one thing did stick out to me from that post.....

I do have two cron jobs that are doing mysqldumps on timed intervals. The first one dumps a specific cms_custom_database every 6 hours to a backup file, the other one dumps the entire IPB database nightly. But these have been in place for years. Not sure if this is the best or recommended method for automating IPB backups. But maybe someone was trying to edit the database at the same time it was backing up and crashed the system. Again not sure, odd that I have been doing this for over 5 years and it becomes an issue now. Maybe?

You would want to reach out to your hosting provider with any concerns here. It would be hard for us from a software perspective confirm or deny this. Depending on what was happening on the server at the time, it is conceivable that a database could become corrupted while running a long task, such as a backup, and the server was restarted/shutdown/etc... If you or your hosting provider restored a previous database after that, that would explain what is happening.