Email: Logged in from a new device.

TDBF

Our server have been marking these emails as spam and are now getting blocked due to the large number sent.

726491890_Screenshot2022-01-28at09-38-36YourMessageWasNotDelivered.png.bd04e6388e14bcdae3936c9623ad679d.png

Many of our members receive this email every time they sign into their account, regardless if they seem to sign in from a new device or not. This poor guy here is inundated with these emails:

869889551_Screenshot2022-01-28at09-46-56mitchsMemberHistory.thumb.png.f2c57cca7248bf33d32a628a8ffec443.png

To make matters worse, there is no opt out from this feature for our members. It is all or nothing. To constantly ask our members just to ignore these emails when they get them, is no longer an option for us and we now turned off this feature in ACP settings.

We would like to use this feature, but under its current limitations and faults, it is of no use to us. This feature has become an annoyance to our members and marking our IP as a spammer.

Just now, Marc Stridgen said:

Are you using any caching on your server at all? Something is causing the system to believe it's a different device here, so Im wondering if this may be a cause

The only caching we use is Php's OPCaching.

The server has LiteSpeed caching enabled, but it's not used as there is no option for LiteSpeerd within IPS (Hint hint 🙂.)

This isn't happening to all of our members, but does affect quite a few.

5 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Could you please first of all switch off that caching and test it again, so we can rule this out?

I cannot turn off LiteSpeed as that is enabled by the hosting company by default.

I will turn of Opcache and IPS caching and get back to you.

1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please contact your hosting to see if any caching on litespeed can be switched off. It does need to be noted here that we provide only limited support when hosted on environments alternative to apache

We moved to this server about 4 months ago, and this issue has been going on for as long as I can remember. It's not specific to the server we have now.

I do wish however that there was an 'opt' option for this feature available to our members, that way they can choose whether or not to receive these emails.

Marc, this has nothing to do with caching or 3rd party items. 🙂

A couple of members I have spoke too who have this problem, have stated that they aggressively clear their cache and cookies when their browser closes, their device caching is cleared or an extension which does this for them.

Since the only check for a device is a random 32 char string saved within a cookie, this will be problematic when users remove their cookies before returning to the forum to sign in. Hence the reason why some of my members receive the new device emails all the time and others do not.

As the 'Send an email when a user logs in from a new device' setting is global and members not being able to opt out of these emails, I will have to disable this setting for the time being. I cannot have my members spammed with this email every time they sign-in and my server will be more happy about this too.

Appreciate your help as always. 🙂

42 minutes ago, TDBF said:

Marc, this has nothing to do with caching or 3rd party items. 🙂

A couple of members I have spoke too who have this problem, have stated that they aggressively clear their cache and cookies when their browser closes, their device caching is cleared or an extension which does this for them.

Since the only check for a device is a random 32 char string saved within a cookie, this will be problematic when users remove their cookies before returning to the forum to sign in. Hence the reason why some of my members receive the new device emails all the time and others do not.

As the 'Send an email when a user logs in from a new device' setting is global and members not being able to opt out of these emails, I will have to disable this setting for the time being. I cannot have my members spammed with this email every time they sign-in and my server will be more happy about this too.

Appreciate your help as always. 🙂

Ah, indeed thats likely causing the problem there. If a user is clearing things each and every time visiting, the system would see it as the user visiting every time. As mentioned by Matt, having an option to switch this off would probably be useful in this scenario

• 1 month later...