GDPR: Export all data of an user (posts, comments, ...)

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hi,

according to GDPR law a user can request all their data, including content posted, in an format that can easily be transferred to another host. In other words, we need to be able to provide any user with their content, e.g. an export in PDF format or anything like this.

As of today - how can we achieve that?

The Button "Download personal information" in AdminCP only exports IP addresses, browser infos and other meta data, but not the posts of the user.

Thanks!

Got this from my CEO: [...] that you can look at the stored content in a forum yourself doesn't count - that was the so-called "Irish solution". The Irish data protection authority got a kicking for that.

Legal says we have to provide the content, too.

Edited by somedude00

• Solution
15 hours ago, somedude00 said:

Got this from my CEO: [...] that you can look at the stored content in a forum yourself doesn't count - that was the so-called "Irish solution". The Irish data protection authority got a kicking for that.

Legal says we have to provide the content, too.

As mentioned above, there is no way in which to export all posts a user has created at the present time. You can export only personal data. It would be interesting to have a read on the case you mention above though, if you could provide links to that. 

I'm currently in the process of collecting information from our data protection people officer on that matter and might be able to share info. Will report back here if I get data that suggests exporting content might be necessary.

From what I heard as of yet it might be a grey area and not 100% clear as to whether one has to provide the content or not.

1 hour ago, somedude00 said:

I'm currently in the process of collecting information from our data protection people officer on that matter and might be able to share info. Will report back here if I get data that suggests exporting content might be necessary.

From what I heard as of yet it might be a grey area and not 100% clear as to whether one has to provide the content or not.

In our experience, this hasnt been the case. Of course you should always consult in your own area with your own legal team if needed. All I can say at present however is that this isnt a feature of the platform at present.