Hump Day: do's and don'ts of community moderation?

hummmmp2.png

Happy Hump Day! 

I've been working on a new blog post about the dos and don'ts when it comes to community moderation/guidance. Before I share it with you on Friday, I'd love to know your thoughts! 

What is something you should do when moderating your community. How about something that you ought to avoid?

Something that immediately came to mind for me is moderating on the offense versus the defense. Generally speaking, most view moderation as a restrictive tool that takes power away from the community. A member posts profanity? Moderate! A topic goes live in the wrong section? Moderate! A spam bot infiltrates the latest blog entry? Moderate, moderate, moderate! That facet of community building will always exist, but going on the offense by setting up automations will save you time and money (and energy!). More importantly, it creates an elevated user experience because your attention is spent engaging with your members instead of policing people. Fostering a sense of connection with the community in my opinion is essential. 

PS - you may recall my blog post on shifting our mindset from moderation to guidance, but we love an SEO moment. 

Share your two cents in the comments below please! Would love to feature some of your comments in the upcoming blog post. 🙂

---

Check out a recent batch of platform updates since we released 4.6.7 into the wild. Shout-out to the support and dev team for all their hard work!

- Fixed an issue where removing a currency can cause errors in search results.

- Fixed an issue where reviews may not be correctly indexed with Elastic Search.

- Fixed an issue where insert attachment links in dark mode may show in the wrong color.

- Fixed an issue where importing the achievement rules xml file could fail during the upgrade.

- Fixed an issue where insert attachment links in dark mode may show in the wrong color. 

- Fixed an issue where custom meta tags/titles may not always show on the community homepage.

- Fixed an incorrect registration stats admin restriction.

- Fixed an issue where the 'recently browsing' Javascript may not load properly.

- Fixed a rare issue where you may see the Service Worker Javascript after login.

- Fixed a database error shown if a user does not have permission to edit date fields.

- Fixed an issue where a guest may see a CSRF error when trying to purchase a subscription.

- Fixes incorrectly escaped node form helper titles.

- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to toggle the anonymous state of content items.

- Fixed admins not being able to ban or flag member as spammers via the ACP profile when warnings were disabled.  

- Fixed incorrectly escaped node form helper titles.

- Fixed an issue where task progress bars could show percent completion above 100%.

- Fixed an error when moderators with permission to post anonymous content edit content of those that can't.

- Fixed admins not being able to ban or flag member as spammers via the ACP profile when warnings were disabled.

- Fixed an issue where multiple ACP notifications for the same item were visible.

- Fixed the ACP-Follower Statistics Page which was returning an IN_DEV error if no followed content was present.

- The ACP Member Profile Template will remove the left column if there are blocks to show.

- Fixed orphan language phrases when deleting databases and custom fields.

- Fixed a PHP 8 type error when upgrading between Commerce packages.

- Fixed an issue with Activity Streams where the results may be incomplete when the 'Content I posted in' filter is used.

- Added some missing VAT territories to checkout form.

Appreciate you all! Thanks for participating in our community 🙂. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Okay, my best advice : don't discuss or justify moderation. Every time i tried to say something like "i removed this because blabla..." i ended up with 3 pages debating if i was right or wrong.

Now we just remove what we think has to be, and every comment made about the moderation. If deccessary we deal with the moderated user by personnal message.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jordan Miller said:

Fixed an issue where insert attachment links in dark mode may show in the wrong color

Curious about this one...the phrasing "insert attachment" implies that this is front-end, so is there now a setting somewhere to enable a dark mode on the front-end?

I may have missed something somewhere with regard to this feature now being available.

4 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Curious about this one...the phrasing "insert attachment" implies that this is front-end, so is there now a setting somewhere to enable a dark mode on the front-end?

I may have missed something somewhere with regard to this feature now being available.

Not yet. Do you think front-end dark mode would be well-received? It presents some development challenges for sure. 

• 2 months later...