429 Too many requests

Hi and hello,

I recently moved to a new hosting company. Trying to install a new 'test-forum' next to my working forum, I ran into a "429 Too many requests" error.
Having contacted the hosting company they say that the forum-installation process makes "too many" AJAX calls in too short of time and suggested that I asked IPB if there was a way to slow down these AJAX requests.

So I did and the answer was that there was no way to change the speed in which it installs and it should be solved at the hosting end.

I contacted my hosting back and their only solution is for me to go VPS or Dedicated Server, costing me more money then I have.

On top of that I fear that if I tried to update my current working forum, I will run into the same 429 error and because the update process is going to be aborted that will damage my live forum.

So question, what other options do I, or my hosting company have except for me moving to a new host? And if I do, what do I need to know/ask this new host to know if they have the right server settings to be able to host this forum software? In the 10-14 years I use Invision software I've never run into this, hence I ask. Maybe it's just a weird host.

Cheers and thank you for your time! :smile:

Edited by riko

Hi Matt, 

Thank you for your reply.

The hosting company's last reply to me is that it would be "simple" for you to add a clause in the script like: 'setTimeout(function () { ... }, 500);'

I guess that's not an option here, is it? :smile:

Cheers and thanks.

Thank you for your input Daniel.

That won't work when I try to install a new testforum, and my greatest fear is if I try this and the current host settings still go awry at the next update I'm even further from home.

Guess I'll have to move once again to another host one that allows more then wordpress installs...

Thanks!

On 9/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, riko said:

Hi and hello,

I recently moved to a new hosting company. Trying to install a new 'test-forum' next to my working forum, I ran into a "429 Too many requests" error.
Having contacted the hosting company they say that the forum-installation process makes "too many" AJAX calls in too short of time and suggested that I asked IPB if there was a way to slow down these AJAX requests.

So I did and the answer was that there was no way to change the speed in which it installs and it should be solved at the hosting end.

I contacted my hosting back and their only solution is for me to go VPS or Dedicated Server, costing me more money then I have.

On top of that I fear that if I tried to update my current working forum, I will run into the same 429 error and because the update process is going to be aborted that will damage my live forum.

So question, what other options do I, or my hosting company have except for me moving to a new host? And if I do, what do I need to know/ask this new host to know if they have the right server settings to be able to host this forum software? In the 10-14 years I use Invision software I've never run into this, hence I ask. Maybe it's just a weird host.

Cheers and thank you for your time! :smile:

I would go for a new host.

Based on the responses you post here, I am with Matt on this that your host is probably overselling or have a poorly configured resource limiter. I suggest you go to a reputable community to get more information about your current host and to search for a new one if you decide to. While this community is still not on the right software, it is the largest one out there: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/

If you have a huge site and need a VPN or dedicated solution, toss me a message and I can send you a contact I used when I was hosting. He has good prices and good reputation.