Group Promotions Not Functioning Correctly

I can't create topics in help and support so I'm forced to place it here.

I have a group promotion set to move all members in the default member group to a new primary group after they have at least 10 content.  The only filters I have set are Content Count and Group.  The Content Count is set to "more than" "9" so that it applies retroactively to anyone who creates content after the fact, but met the threshold before the group promotion existed.  Group is set to the default member group so that the promotion does not effect anyone who has purchased a subscription.  I'd say we've had this promotion for going on 2 years now.

Prior to 4.5.4.x, this was working as intended.  Now, it's only counting content created within the forums, not the overall content.  We've been getting member complaints about being locked out of certain features that they should have access to based on their content count, and I noticed that the group promotion wasn't triggering for them.  The common denominator between the members is that most, if not all of their content was unrelated to the forum section, so I tested this theory using one of the affected member accounts and was able to confirm that it is indeed not triggering unless they create a post/topic within the forum section.  This member had almost 100 content and already qualified for the promotion, but no matter how much content we created all over the website, it would not trigger sans forum. 

Our forums are not the main feature of our website, so this is certainly an issue.  I'm not a client so I can't contact support either to report this.  Is there anything I can do within the files/database to fix this on my end, or will I have to nix this promotion entirely?

Edited by ahc

Apologies, I didn't get a notification for replies here.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:22 PM, CoffeeCake said:

Which version was the last version this worked as you expected in?

4.5.2, before the patches for sure.  I noticed we were getting more and more tickets around the time we were at 4.5.4 linked to the primary group not being updated by the rule, but it could have happened in a prior version before the discovery was made.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, Morrigan said:

I have the same type of rule and I'm not able to duplicate this behavior. I submitted a content item to pages and it triggered just fine.

Is it comments?

Gallery images and comments. We're an art site, so that app is our bread and butter, and everyone who is effected by this so far are people who post 99% of their content within the gallery.

7 hours ago, Mark Round said:

You need to renew your licence to use help and support 

On 3/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, ahc said:

I'm not a client so I can't contact support either to report this.

No reason for the redundancy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, ahc said:

I have a group promotion set to move all members in the default member group to a new primary group after they have at least 10 content.  The only filters I have set are Content Count and Group.

Hi, did this get fixed for you? I've upgraded to 4.5.4.2 last week and now I'm noticing this is happening to me. Prior to that the rule worked fine, whether with content that increases your post count or not.

PS, Just to be clear. It does work if someone within the target group posts on the forum (irrespective of post count increase or not). However, that same member was able to achieve the promotion by posting status updates before the upgrade.

The rule targets members of two primary groups with a post count bigger than 99, and a post every 7 days adds a secondary group to them. Another rule removes it after 7 days if they have not posted.

Edited by PPlanet

20 hours ago, PPlanet said:

Hi, did this get fixed for you? I've upgraded to 4.5.4.2 last week and now I'm noticing this is happening to me. Prior to that the rule worked fine, whether with content that increases your post count or not.

PS, Just to be clear. It does work if someone within the target group posts on the forum (irrespective of post count increase or not). However, that same member was able to achieve the promotion by posting status updates before the upgrade.

The rule targets members of two primary groups with a post count bigger than 99, and a post every 7 days adds a secondary group to them. Another rule removes it after 7 days if they have not posted.

Nope.  Still experiencing the issue.  Since you're a client, I urge you to make staff aware of this issue since I can't outside of the forums here.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:37 AM, Morrigan said:

Is their actual content count increasing when they do these actions?

Yeah.  I tested it again just to double check and the content count goes up.

Edited by ahc

@ahc I'm afraid that IPS tech support says that's the intended behaviour for the 4 series. At least when it comes to Status Updates, as they are not deemed content items. So, not sure if that explains or not your case, as maybe Gallery items do count as content.

My recollection regarding Status Updates on 4.3 and 4.4 tends to differ, as I'm almost certain some members triggered the promotion with Status Updates prior to last week when we upgraded to the very latest version. But tech support are adamant that it has never been the case during the 4 series. Maybe my installation had a problem before (because even PMs triggered the promotion and I found that far from great), and now it works as intended.

So, sorry I cannot be of more help. Being your case about a different app than mine, I won't assume IPS reply applies to your case too necessarily. With a bit more time I'll test my own gallery and let you know what happens there. Unless someone has already done so. Cheers.

Edited by PPlanet

• 2 weeks later...