How to EXPORT then IMPORT Pages/DB records

Could someone help me figure out how I can go about exporting existing records from a database in pages from one site and import those records to the same database at the new site?  I really don't want to re-create each record manually.. which I have done before and it totally sucks and takes a ton of time.  Seems like there must be a way.  I exported the database from site1 and imported database.xml to site2 which doesn't include records but includes everything those records should need (I believe).  I just don't know how to get the records over.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

On 9/23/2020 at 12:07 AM, DJ ZAh said:

I exported the database from site1 and imported database.xml to site2 which doesn't include records but includes everything those records should need (I believe).  I just don't know how to get the records over.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Use phpMyAdmin or something similar (I like TablePlus https://tableplus.com/ personally ) and open your custom_database_x table.

Check your custom fields (ie: field_50, field_51) etc all match your old database.

If they do not match: 
Clone custom_database_x table.
Rename the old field_x numbers to match the new field_x numbers.
Optionally I reorder the field structure to help visually reading the database, otherwise don't worry about this.

If they do match or after completing the step above:
Copy the rows from the old database and paste them straight in to the new database.

Warning: Make sure you have backups before doing this, personally I just clone the whole custom database table as I find that's easiest to revert if something goes wrong.

My last import this way was 1738 records as I merged two separate Pages databases, no issues so far 🙂 

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.36.13 am.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 8:38 PM, jaeitee said:

Use phpMyAdmin or something similar (I like TablePlus https://tableplus.com/ personally ) and open your custom_database_x table.

Check your custom fields (ie: field_50, field_51) etc all match your old database.

If they do not match: 
Clone custom_database_x table.
Rename the old field_x numbers to match the new field_x numbers.
Optionally I reorder the field structure to help visually reading the database, otherwise don't worry about this.

If they do match or after completing the step above:
Copy the rows from the old database and paste them straight in to the new database.

Warning: Make sure you have backups before doing this, personally I just clone the whole custom database table as I find that's easiest to revert if something goes wrong.

My last import this way was 1738 records as I merged two separate Pages databases, no issues so far 🙂 

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 11.36.13 am.png

@jaeitee Thanks for the step by step.

How do you handle tags? And images?

Have you migrated any related databases (e.g. People records inside Company records)? Those records are in a many-many table `cms_database_fields_reciprocal_map`