"List-unsubscribe" in the email header

Egorkin

• 1 year later...

This still very much needs to be a thing.  @bfarber, any word on when we might see this?

I have a fairly large community which sees some "seasonal" membership driven by political events.  When those people lose interest or the world changes, they stop visiting.  I try to cull them out due to inactivity, but sometimes I get hit with a spam complaint because one of them was too lazy to unsubscribe the right way.

I'd like to make this a lot easier for them by including the list-unsubscribe tag in the email header so that GMail and other clients would give them a one-click unsubscribe option.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an older thread, but it's time to add one-click unsubscribe to all emails sent out by Invision software:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2024/02/11/google-warns-of-mass-gmail-message-blocks-new-email-security-rules/?sh=79cc0f8d6859

Google will start blocking bulk emails from senders who do not include one-click unsubscribe beginning June 1, 2024.

• Management

This is a significant difference between unsolicited mail/newsletters and notification emails though. That said, we do have appropriate links to adjust or stop emails.

"Starting in April, senders of unwanted mass emails to Gmail users will begin to see message rejections" - "unwanted" doing the heavy lifting in that line.

I still see adding this as a net positive. Why? Because on a daily basis I must manually unsubscribe people who are too lazy to do this themselves, and they hit the spam button instead of doing the right thing (I am subscribed to the feedback loops). 

Gmail has already incorporated this now to some degree. If, for example, I hit the spam button to report real spam, but there is a one-click unsubscribe link in the header of that spam email, I am now asked by Gmail if I want to unsubscribe via a pop up. Since the coding for this can't be too difficult, I see only an upside to including it, especially if it increases email deliverability.

Edited by sadams101

On 2/13/2024 at 4:29 PM, Matt said:

This is a significant difference between unsolicited mail/newsletters and notification emails though.

Users do not always understand the difference. They mark emails as spam because it is easier and faster in comparison to unsubscribe. 

Amazon SES allows you to have 10% of bounces before your account is at risk. But it allows only 0.5% of spam complaints before you've got issues with them. The account reputation is not so much about invalid mails, but about valid emails that have marked you as spam.

You can clean your database from invalid emails. But there is no service to clean users who have marked your emails as spam. Unsubscribing with one click could at least lower the complaint rate. 😉 

2 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Users do not always understand the difference. They mark emails as spam because it is easier and faster in comparison to unsubscribe.

I'm not sure I would agree with you there, to be honest. Users have their own notification settings, which while I understand some may not know how to use, I would think the ones posting all the time will tend to. There is also the fact that there is the follow topic shown below where those users are posting.

@Marc Stridgen, for whatever reason, we all have users in our communities who mark community email address as spam. Whether it's subscriber forgetfulness or not being able to handle the account settings, it doesn't change the fact. They mark the emails as spam, and that hurts the sender's reputation and deliverability. 🙂

Edited by Sonya*

This happens with my community too.

I am using Amazon SES. Some people, probably out of laziness or lack of awareness, mark their notification emails (event new private message ones) as spam which ends up hurting reputation.

I have a suppression list setup on the SES side to prevent sending of emails in the future to the offending email address, however it does not stop the reputation being damaged in the first place.

list-unsubscribe in the email would absolutely help here.

Edited by TheLlamaman

• 3 weeks later...

I would very much like this feature to be added too for the same reasons as everyone else has mentioned. I don't see why you wouldn't implement it.

I don't think you need to be posting all the time to get these notifications either, you just have to be following a popular topic.