Registration verifcation by Mobile Number

Hello

Can possibly Registration verifcation by Mobile Number , means members register at forum put mobile number at registration form and code send to register member mobile , and many features with this like one mobile number use for one member ,any other member use this system error with already registered etc

Login 2fa code send at Mobile 

Password recovery with mobile number etc

like this idea ? 

23 minutes ago, bfarber said:

SMS notifications cost money, so anything like this would need to be an integration with a third party paid service (such as Twilio).

Yup, I looking into this (for a different purpose) and this was the primary reason I let the project die. 

2 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Even at non-committed pricing, through Twilio, 500 SMS messages would cost $3.75. It's an interesting way to reduce spam registrations.

Problem being any spam attempts that put in bogus phone numbers would count toward your Twilio usage. Any such system would need to be carefully designed to prevent abuse that could cost the board owner an untold amount of money with zero benefit over traditional email. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it can’t be done... There are a lot of things to consider to ensure such a system can’t be abused and cost the board owner lots of $$$. Human readable code always gets out somehow. Any code written will be inspected for vulnerabilities and possibly exploited. 

Hello Members

Although it will be linked to a paid service. But it should be included in the invasion as an option. Any member who wants to use it and can afford the paid service will definitely use it. I think this is a good option to allow a member to have the one account with one phone number.

It does raise the bar on what is required to create an account. E-mail addresses are easily obtained, yet mobile phone numbers raise the bar. I like the idea of an implementation that forces a unique mobile number per registrant, and think that even though there's a potential for abuse, limiting the number of phone numbers and how and when that validation happens would decrease the ability for the process to be abused.

At present, registration with mobile number is more common than e-mail. For example, WhatsApp, Facebook and other social sites also register with mobile number. And many apps require a mobile number when registering. Because email addresses are widely available and can make a large number of members, there is a high risk of spam and rules violations by this member. There is no way to stop or find this member by admin

Edited by Guru Samrat

I'd like the option for signing up via a phone number for my members, but preventing email registration based spam isn't the reason why, it's more for the convenience since a good majority of the population that actively uses the internet own some sort of smart phone.

I've seen the documentaries that show warehouses full of workers that have about 100+ smart phones for each person with different phone numbers.  They are paid to automatically sign up for websites to spam and/or boost engagement, depending on what you paid for.  There are a lot of prepaid plans you can get for a little bit of nothing these days, too.  Even if we pretend that they wouldn't shell out money on phone plans, there are SEVERAL accessible free apps, including Google, that will give you a phone number for free (and allow you to change or sign up for new numbers for free with other emails) that can be used via Wifi, something you can get for free or pay for and share with several other people.  I don't have high hopes for anything argued for preventing spam's sake.

6 hours ago, Guru Samrat said:

At present, registration with mobile number is more common than e-mail.

Interesting.  I've never signed up for a website that required my phone number, not even Facebook.  🤔  The only app that has my phone number is DoorDash, but that's because I'm a lazy millennial and don't cook my own food.  😂