Friendly URL Rewrite

The board that I'm referencing in this post is fairly new (1 month live as of the 20th). I have Friendly URL's enabled, but index.php?/ is still part of the URL. Is there a good reason to rewrite the URL's to eliminate that? Is there an even better reason NOT to rewrite, such as major problems that it may cause? 

Like I said, the board is new, but there's around 50,000 posts at this point. I don't want to do something that's going to screw things up if the current setup is just fine.

2 hours ago, Morrigan said:

It’s more seo friendly not to have it. Use “Seo optimization” in the menu to download and fix the issue. Won’t cause any tithes and will give a good redirect.

As they are now, it looks like this (just a random example):

https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/index.php?/topic/115-survivor-season-40-winners-at-war/

That URL would be less desirable than if 'index.php?' wasn't there?

I don't mind having the board rewrite the URLs, I just don't want to 'break' the board by doing it. I wish I'd done it before going live, but it's just one of those things that I didn't do and now there's about 50,000 posts. I really don't want rewriting the URLs to cause a mess.

I guess I could clone the board and install it in a test forum, then rewrite and see how it reacts. I could then use that test forum for the 4.5 upgrade test forum when it gets released. 

Will doing this cause uploaded images to no longer display properly or will that have to be re-built? I ask because I don't want the member list to have to be re-built, which I believe I did once on another board several years ago, and it screwed up the post counts. This new board is actually a sort of 'replacement' board for an official NFL team board that the team did away with. 

As part of building the replacement board, I had everyone archive their old profiles (on the discontinued, official board), and once they joined the new board, I manually set their post count and reputation score to what it had been on the official board. That just kind of gave a smooth transition for everyone, but was a good bit of work for me. But the majority of members didn't want to lose 10 to 20 years worth of post count (the highest of which is around 130,000 posts). I really don't want to have to do that all over again lol. 

I actually don't even know if 'rebuilding' is still a thing in the ACP, to be honest lol. 

Nothing adverse will happen. It won't change anything crazy ALL it will do is remove index.php? from the forum. I've done it plenty of times and it actually improves SEO. THe uploaded images will stay in tact, nothing will be rebuilt.

I'd say its a magic button to remove that bit from your URL. ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

I made the change a couple of days ago. There does seem to be an uptick in guests. I don't know if that's related, but the uptick does pretty much exactly coincide with the rewriting of the URL's.  But at the same time, there seems to be a downtick in Adsense impressions, which pretty much coincides with the re-writing.