Whatever Happened To Just Writing Good Content?

Chris027

Hey Guys - I'm at the Google Webmaster Conference Product Summit at the Googleplex in Mountain View today. All the things being discussed for improving search results are overwhelming. It makes me think, whatever happened to just writing good content?

Also, much of this is out of our control as users of IPS. For example, I can't change the markup surrounding images to better appear in image search results. I know IPS said the company had an SEO expert look at its product, but I hope someone from IPS is here as well. Many huge companies have reps here, talking to the product managers etc...

In my experience my search rankings have never been worse than after I switched to IPS. I'm not blaming IPS, but something seems off. 

6 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

In my experience my search rankings have never been worse than after I switched to IPS. I'm not blaming IPS, but something seems off. 

One of the reason: Google E-A-T has devalued user generated content. Google wants to know now, WHO writes WHAT, it wants confirmed experts and external links to the "trusted" sites, where other "experts" write. User generated content is entirely opposite to what Google claim to be quality nowadays. 

3 hours ago, Chris027 said:

Hey Guys - I'm at the Google Webmaster Conference Product Summit at the Googleplex in Mountain View today. All the things being discussed for improving search results are overwhelming. It makes me think, whatever happened to just writing good content?

Also, much of this is out of our control as users of IPS. For example, I can't change the markup surrounding images to better appear in image search results. I know IPS said the company had an SEO expert look at its product, but I hope someone from IPS is here as well. Many huge companies have reps here, talking to the product managers etc...

I'd love to see your notes from the conference.  

Forums – many don’t have structured markup. They want to show users its a forum so they can ensure the forum cluster is relevant to the query, users find value in this yet forums rarely use markup so be sure to use markup (Q&A schema takes priority)

Sounds logical 😉

On 11/4/2019 at 9:07 PM, Chris027 said:

It makes me think, whatever happened to just writing good content?

Nothing. It still rules. Maybe more than ever, because Google has gotten better and better fighting any dishonest practices of search ranking manipulation. 

Forums – many don’t have structured markup.

Well, this topic has it:

1507171586_Bildschirmfoto2019-11-08um19_21_50.thumb.png.c27c7103227e0918eecc0fe4a5a6834b.png

Archived