Running out of server space, again

Square Wheels

I don't set limits on what people can upload.  I am at about 42gb of images.  I thought using image proxy would help with that.

Here is my uploads folder, any chance some of these are older folder that should have been deleted in an upgrade?

Hmm, I tried several times to upload a few png files and keep getting a -200 error.

Image proxy will most likely increase your storage, since it fetches and locally stores images.  

If you're running out of storage space, then you should strongly think about setting up Amazon S3, which allows you to save to the Amazon S3 storage service.  My community is rich in media with hundreds of gigabytes of download files and gallery images, so the Amazon S3 integration has been great for me.    

10 hours ago, Joel R said:

You may need to impose file restrictions on gallery images, download files, or attachments.  

I don't have any, and don't want any.  I like people to be able to upload whatever they want.

I was just wondering if there were files that might have been leftover from a prior upgrade that could be deleted, seeing I have over 40gb of images.

I can't post png files here anymore though.

Brandon_F.png

Seems I'm able to upload PNG files 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately there's not really going to be any way to identify if any of those files can be removed. We used to have an "orphaned files" tool, however it was somewhat unreliable and can result in files that are being used being removed (especially with third party addons).

I would second what Joel suggested - if you're starting to use up a lot of storage space, you should consider something like S3 for storing your files. It's simply the next natural step for a website that allows arbitrary user uploads without limits - you'll need to store your files elsewhere eventually.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't have any, and don't want any.  I like people to be able to upload whatever they want.

I was just wondering if there were files that might have been leftover from a prior upgrade that could be deleted, seeing I have over 40gb of images.

I can't post png files here anymore though.

You can: 

- Run a cross-check of folders on your server vs folders from a new installation of IPS.  It should be pretty easy to spot folders that are extra.  

- Scan your /uploads folder and see if you have any non-Monthly Folders from third party apps that are no longer used.  

- You can also contact your server admin to see if any logs or backups are taking up a lot of space.  

And of course, make a backup of both your files and database before proceeding.  

Hope that helps.  Keep in mind this will only be a temporary step.  The long term step will be for you to integrate with Amazon S3 in the future.  

8 minutes ago, Joel R said:

The long term step will be for you to integrate with Amazon S3 in the future.  

First I need to back and get my degree in computer engineering just to understand how to order from Amazon.  I understand you have a guideline for connecting, but it's nearly impossible for a mere mortal like me to figure out how to set up the correct account for hosting images.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, Joel R said:

Image proxy will most likely increase your storage, since it fetches and locally stores images.  

If you're running out of storage space, then you should strongly think about setting up Amazon S3, which allows you to save to the Amazon S3 storage service.  My community is rich in media with hundreds of gigabytes of download files and gallery images, so the Amazon S3 integration has been great for me.    

If money is a concern, you may want to consider Wasabi: https://wasabi.com/pricing/

@ASTRAPI posted a great guide on how to set up Cloudflare and Wasabi:

9 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

If money is a concern, you may want to consider Wasabi: https://wasabi.com/pricing/

@ASTRAPI posted a great guide on how to set up Cloudflare and Wasabi:

This looked excellent until I saw I need another add on due to IPS having AWS hard coded.

This is really a pain.  It seems there are places I can store my meager 40gb of files, even 100gb of files, elsewhere than my webserver, but the only built in option is AWS, and that's not easy to figure out.

Archived