Pages / Blogs limits?

PrettyPixels

I'm starting a fiction site and need members to be able to post stories with chapters, and for readers to leave comments on each chapter. Two options I'm looking at are:

1) Pages - Each story is a category, chapters are pages, and readers can leave comments at the end of each page.

2) Blogs - Each story is a blog, chapters are blog entries, and readers can leave comments at the end of each entry.

If I have many thousands of stories, will this create a problem? What are the reasonable amount of stories these solutions can handle?

Does anyone have a better idea for how this can be implemented? Any ideas or feedback is welcomed. 🙂

I would recommend Blogs over Pages for your project.  

Blogs are designed to allow user posting of long-form content with user comments and ratings, and are a perfect match for what you're trying to do. 

Pages is designed primarily for site-posted content (versus user content).  You would need to manually create new categories for each new story, and every user would have permission in every other story.  It would get very messy, very fast.  

As a tip, you can rename the Blogs app to be Stories, and a blog entry renamed to Chapter.  

On 6/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, Joel R said:

I would recommend Blogs over Pages for your project.  

Blogs are designed to allow user posting of long-form content with user comments and ratings, and are a perfect match for what you're trying to do. 

Pages is designed primarily for site-posted content (versus user content).  You would need to manually create new categories for each new story, and every user would have permission in every other story.  It would get very messy, very fast.  

As a tip, you can rename the Blogs app to be Stories, and a blog entry renamed to Chapter.  

Can confirm, this is how we did it. (Renaming Blogs to Literature). Users are quite pleased with it.

2 minutes ago, AlexWright said:

Can confirm, this is how we did it. (Renaming Blogs to Literature). Users are quite pleased with it.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the URL for your site? I'd be interested to take a look.

Also, do you have a method for labeling the blogs? For example, by genre, content rating, etc?

2 minutes ago, PrettyPixels said:

If you don't mind my asking, what is the URL for your site? I'd be interested to take a look.

Also, do you have a method for labeling the blogs? For example, by genre, content rating, etc?

We haven't added a content labeling system yet. Blog Categories need to be a thing....we just ask our members to tag entries appropriately for now.

You can browse at https://furrylife.online/literature/

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your feedback! 🙂 I decided to take your advice and go with blogs for the stories.

The place I'm stuck is adjusting the URL to be "series" instead of "blogs." I went into Advanced Configuration > Friendly URLs and tried to adjust them there. The main blogs URL is the only one that seems to work correctly. Any of the others I try to adjust still include blogs in the URLs, even though I try to strip it out. Screencaps below.

I noticed @AlexWright was able to successfully rename the blogs URL to literature on the FurryLife example.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? How can I accomplish renaming blogs to series in the URL?

Here are the settings I'm entering:

image.thumb.png.2f2b9d5d6df24de03d2dd998f218d667.png

But it still appears like this. Notice the blogs has been re-inserted in the URL:

image.thumb.png.1f9a686dbb5e3189f9f8db8c0bafe5d5.png

24 minutes ago, PrettyPixels said:

Thank you all for your feedback! 🙂 I decided to take your advice and go with blogs for the stories.

The place I'm stuck is adjusting the URL to be "series" instead of "blogs." I went into Advanced Configuration > Friendly URLs and tried to adjust them there. The main blogs URL is the only one that seems to work correctly. Any of the others I try to adjust still include blogs in the URLs, even though I try to strip it out. Screencaps below.

I noticed @AlexWright was able to successfully rename the blogs URL to literature on the FurryLife example.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? How can I accomplish renaming blogs to series in the URL?

Here are the settings I'm entering:

image.thumb.png.2f2b9d5d6df24de03d2dd998f218d667.png

But it still appears like this. Notice the blogs has been re-inserted in the URL:

image.thumb.png.1f9a686dbb5e3189f9f8db8c0bafe5d5.png

Yep, we edited the furl.json in /applications/blog/data. Out blogs furl.json looks like this:

/**
 * Friendly URL Structure
 * For each value in the $furl array:
 *	The key should be the "SEO Template" - an identifier which you'll use when displaying a URL.
 *	The value should be an associative array with two or three elements: 'friendly' and 'real', and optionally 'verify':
 *		'friendly'
 *			The friendly URL to use - encase variables in {curly braces} containing a symbol, followed by the name of the parameter that matches in the "real" URL
 *			The symbol should be # for numbers or @ for strings
 *			For example, if the "real" URL contains id=XXX, where XXX is a number, you should include {#id} somewhere in the friendly URL.
 *			You can also use the tag {?} for the "SEO Title" (that is, any variables that shouldn't be part of the real URL, such as the name of the topipc being viewed).
 *			If you want to support more than one SEO Title, you can give them zero-indexed keys like so: {?0} {?1} {?2}
 *		'real'
 *			This should be the base of the real URL. You should not include parameters which will be parsed out from the friendly URL.
 *      'verify'
 *          This should be the name of a class that contains a loadFromUrl() and an url() method.  The dynamic URL (i.e. app=core&...) will be passed to loadFromUrl(), and the url()
 *          method will subsequently be called to retrieve the correct URL, ideal with ActiveRecord pattern classes.
 * IMPORTANT: Ensure values are listed with the most specific ones first. This is to ensure that non-FURL redirects are done correctly. For example, if you have these FURLs:
 *	/index.php?app=myapp&module=mymodule&controller=mycontroller&do=myaction	->	/myfolder/myaction
 *	/index.php?app=myapp&module=mymodule&controller=mycontroller				->	/myfolder
 * They must be provided in that order, otherwise the former will redirec to /myfolder/?do=myaction rather than /myfolder/myaction
 */
{
	"topLevel": "literature",
	"pages": {
	    "blogs_rss": {
		    "friendly": "story/rss/{#id}-{?}",
		    "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&do=rss",
			"alias": "blog/entry-{#id}-{?}"
	    },
	    "blogs_blog": {
		    "friendly": "story/{#id}-{?}",
		    "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view",
		    "verify": "\\IPS\\blog\\Blog",
		    "seoPagination": true
	    },
	    "blog_entry": {
		    "friendly": "entry/{#id}-{?}", 
		    "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry",
		    "verify": "\\IPS\\blog\\Entry",
		    "alias": "blog/{!}/entry-{#id}-{?}",
		    "seoPagination": true
	    },
	    "blog_submit": {
	        "friendly": "submit",
	        "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=submit"
	    },
	    "blog_create": {
	        "friendly": "create",
	        "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=create"
	    },
	    "blogs": {
	        "friendly": "",
	        "real": "app=blog&module=blogs&controller=browse",
	        "alias": "blog"
	    }
	}
}

Quick edit: After you reupload this file, you'll need to go to your ACP > Support > Something isn't working. That'll wipe the cache and apply this.

Archived