search by username in PM

The option to search by username did not actually work reliably and correctly in all cases, and is SUPER performance heavy. This isn't a big deal necessarily on small sites, but on sites with millions of PMs, just performing a search in the messenger could take the site down. So it was removed - if it doesn't work correctly AND it's a performance hog, it's not worth it.

@Adriano Faria feel free to submit a ticket if you have found a bug.

Ugh, being able to search by username is ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT when you have a large forum and potentially thousands of conversations in your inbox (I have nearly 30,000, but that's obviously an aberration).  Surely there is a way to support searching by username efficiently.  Just pulling out the feature entirely is very disappointing to see, as this was one of the things I was looking forward to when I get my forum onto 4.x soon. 

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

This isn't a big deal necessarily on small sites, but on sites with millions of PMs, just performing a search in the messenger could take the site down.

In this case, search by member name should be configurable in the AdminCP, allowing administrators to enable or disable this feature.

7 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

Sadly the IPS conversation system is only usable if a user has less than ~100 messages.

Why is that?  I'm not a big fan of the changes they made versus 3.4.x, but I haven't used the 4.x conversation too extensively yet. 

The user search in AdminCP also had modifications that degraded the results.

Research continues to be a problem in IPS and each version worsens results in return for performance.

I am in favor of more configurable searches where the administrator can configure according to the needs of the communities.

Archived