IP 4.4 Admin CP notifications

Adriano Faria

8 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Honestly, why gives us the option to dismiss if it will appear again tomorrow? No need to dismiss.

While I totally agree with you (and I hope IPS will add an option to definitly dismiss all of these notices), I think the argument was: "Those are important notices and we want to make sure that no one dismisses them and then simply forgets about this serious issue." Yeah... 🙄

The same goes for the notice about an expired license. Yes, it is good advertisement to nag about this, but I do not like it at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I can understand some rationale to help us remember things. It can become bothersome. I think (unless there is a desperate need to shake the tree for the coffers), The in-your-face index page warnings, hints, tips, nags, reminders, should be displayed in the Admin CP, for Root view only. The warnings that appear now in the Admin CP and dismissed for a week at the time,  are distraction enough. 

Please, don't go the Microsoft route of nagging someone to death about upgrading, or that their support license has expired. When they go to the panel for support, and they have none, then that is a powerful reminder to get the plastic out. The current model of display outside of the Admin CP, even though only Admins can see it,  smacks too much of desperation.

Please, consider moving all the Root/Admin notices to the CP area only. Also, an option so "we" can decide if anyone below Root can see them, would be nice. 

7 minutes ago, Windwalker222 said:

I can understand some rationale to help us remember things. It can become bothersome. I think (unless there is a desperate need to shake the tree for the coffers), The in-your-face index page warnings, hints, tips, nags, reminders, should be displayed in the Admin CP, for Root view only. The warnings that appear now in the Admin CP and dismissed for a week at the time,  are distraction enough. 

Please, don't go the Microsoft route of nagging someone to death about upgrading, or that their support license has expired. When they go to the panel for support, and they have none, then that is a powerful reminder to get the plastic out. The current model of display outside of the Admin CP, even though only Admins can see it,  smacks too much of desperation.

Please, consider moving all the Root/Admin notices to the CP area only. Also, an option so "we" can decide if anyone below Root can see them, would be nice. 

Two points to consider...

1) There is no concept of a "root" admin in 4.x. You can create administrators, and restrict (or not) the administrators, but all administrators are administrators.

2) The primary motivation for putting a license warning on the front end is simply that many (far more than you'd likely realize) administrators do not visit the AdminCP regularly. It can be months in between AdminCP visits on some sites.

2) The primary motivation for putting a license warning on the front end is simply that many (far more than you'd likely realize) administrators do not visit the AdminCPregularly. It can be months in between AdminCP visits on some sites.

Point taken, and I was afraid you'd say that. I can't imagine only checking on my site once in a while, but I'm sure they enjoy not having too. 

9 hours ago, bfarber said:

2) The primary motivation for putting a license warning on the front end is simply that many (far more than you'd likely realize) administrators do not visit the AdminCP regularly. It can be months in between AdminCP visits on some sites.

I normally check the adminCP maybe once or twice a week just to give a quick skim over on things and make sure nothing is acting up, so I am one of those who appreciate the front end notices.

As indicated I think the idea / concept behind the warnings being on the 'front end' (and it should be noted they will only show to those with ACP access anyway) was simply as not all admins will regularly visit their ACP. 🙂

One site I admin, I probably only enter the ACP on that site once a month or so I'd guess simply as there's little need for any 'back end' intervention with it.

Archived